What theories influence you the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which theory influences your practice the most?

• Psychodynamic

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Cognitive-Behavioral

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Humanistic

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Dialectics

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Strengths Perspective

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Systems Theory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gestalt Theory

• Existential

• Total voters

BSWdavid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What theoretical orientations influence your practice with clients; systems theory, strengths theory, cognitive behavioral theorie(s), psychodynamic theory, interpersonal theory, humanistic theory, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Empiricism...but its not on your list.....

I think many practitioners are eclectic depending on situation or "pathology." -Rarely use that word on/or about clients. I personally work with the mentally ill and I can incorporate elements from all the above but the "ideal framework" that I have working with this population is actually psychosocial rehabilitation. To many it is simple, but it surprising how our society attempts to defeat mental pathology with pills & psychotherapy without realizing one of the main sources of "pathology," -us. But anyway don't want to make this too philosophical, but I am eclectic to the extent of implementing interventions that are holistic within the paradigm of psychosocial or psychiatric rehabilitation.

-Eco

Members don't see this ad :)
Empiricism...but its not on your list.....

thats more of a philosophy than a theory....

a way of life if you will :)

I think in many cases the theories build on each other...you have the basic learning theories which are the foundation and mini theories sprout from the larger basic ones.....

So this poll is flawed in that its simplistic.....we're heavily influenced by other theories more than we may know....

Revisiting the topic I noticed some interventions were absent. "Solutions-Focused" and "Goal-Oriented" interventions should be included too.

Wow... this list sure is missing a lot. Not even Person-Centered made it on??

If I could choose, I would have picked REBT... but for the sake of what this list has going for it, and to offset the CBT, I chose the Strengths Perspective with DBT as my runner-up.

Last edited: