What these MCAT prep courses need

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm figuring out that these MCAT prep companies need to add something to there packages: MORE EXAMPLES

How many of you are finding that after you finish a chapter you feel somewhat confident, but when you start to do the practice questions, it's all for not! Especially orgo. I'm not having too much trouble remebering Markovnikoff's Rule or the fact that electron donating groups direct ortho and para, but I need to see a bunch of real world examples to truly understand it!! The real MCAT rarely asks you this information directly. It hides in inside a giant molecule or places it on top of a pole in a hurricane. Know what I mean?

I'm just venting because even though I feel like I've memorized most of Examcrackers' books, I still think that the real test is going to confuse me because I haven't seen enough examples to feel comfortable!

Rant off.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. That is why practice tests are SO valuable, not only are you seeing questions in such a convoluted format, you are also trying to answer them under time constraints. Doing problems from my old textbooks from college really gave me experience in answering less-direct questions, while hammering the basics in at the same time. I suggest this for anyone studying right now!

Originally posted by Toejam
I'm figuring out that these MCAT prep companies need to add something to there packages: MORE EXAMPLES

I haven't seen enough examples to feel comfortable!

Maybe you should try different MCAT materials. There are great materials out there with examples. Try the Organic Chemistry book by Oulette, it is filled with real life orgo examples.

Also, do all the AAMC materials, and that will expose you to many examples.