What time of the year are pharmacist job openings the most abundant?

pjm9706

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
I've noticed within the last few months that the amount of job openings in my state has dropped a ton! Is there a certain time of the year when there are more job openings than now? Also, do all companies typicallt post their openings on job boards like indeed? Thanks for your time everyone

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Yeah I mean the biggest influx of new licenses is August so obviously companies know this and plan accordingly. Give it three to six months and you will start to see more openings as people move, transfer, quit, w/e.

About the Ads

steveysmith54

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2005
Status
When I was looking August to October was the forget about it month.... Nevember to December were the two months when everything was slowed down due to holidays... January becomes the sweet month lol

Reactions: pjm9706

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Jan through Mar

reezy

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Nov- Feb or around ASHP Midyear Meeting for hospital jobs. Also have been told after Feb is when hospital pharmacies get budget approval to justify new positions

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
Sinkhole of bureaucracy

For federal positions, NOT between October and December (first quarter of the fiscal year). Policy and Planning for most of the agencies do budget reconciliation and Iron Mountain, PA reports back on the processing of retirements during the first quarter to project spending and allocations before they release positions to be hired (there's a dance where a position is considered occupied until such time as either OPM clears it in the case of a resignation or Iron Mountain in the case of a retirement which usually takes anywhere between two to six months). The best time is the Jan-March second quarter, but July is usually the latest most normal hires occur. Hiring in August and September are reserved for emergencies and usually, applicants are in the best position to negotiate because if the supervisors do not hire by Oct. 1, they may lose the position until the next budget release. If I were trying to drive a hard bargain, this month and next would be the time to do it.

Reactions: bacillus1
About the Ads