What time period would you live in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An interesting interview question: If you could time travel and stay the same age you are right now, what time period in history would you want to visit/live in and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough- so what do you think 500 years in the future will look like?

No idea... Considering people 60 years ago figured we'd be in hover cars and force fields by now. For all I know we'd end up in the stone age again.

if that came up in an interview I'd ask them to ask another question.

No idea... Considering people 60 years ago figured we'd be in hover cars and force fields by now. For all I know we'd end up in the stone age again.

if that came up in an interview I'd ask them to ask another question.

60 years ago, most of the general public couldn't even imagine computers... let alone the current architecture of x86 and x64 CPUs. They were still using tubes in the 50's... didn't move to transistors until the 60's and IC in the 70's. People in the 50's were clueless about what was going to happen in the next two decades lol :laugh:

Then again... most of the general public is clueless even now so ... meh ...

That's easy... Renaissance Europe. I've always been fascinated with the Middle Ages but I'd stick with the Renaissance just to avoid most of the plague, famine, etc etc. The few times I've visited Europe it's just always intrigued me so much that I would risk infection, disease, etc to go back in time. LOL

BUT... if that's too extreme I would go back and live in the 1980's for sure. I'd go right now. LOL

That's easy... Renaissance Europe. I've always been fascinated with the Middle Ages but I'd stick with the Renaissance just to avoid most of the plague, famine, etc etc. The few times I've visited Europe it's just always intrigued me so much that I would risk infection, disease, etc to go back in time. LOL

BUT... if that's too extreme I would go back and live in the 1980's for sure. I'd go right now. LOL

They thought it was unholy to bathe in the Middle Ages so I would skip that era, too. The Rennaisance would be exciting. I would want to live in the South pre-Civil War. And no, I wouldn't have a plantation. lol

Renaissance as well.

I'd say 1940's just because I'm a big fan of Medal of Honor games. Has anyone here ever played them? Geez, I feel so nerdy asking about this :laugh:

whenever these pictures were taken.... 1950s?
25iu9w8.jpg

Marlon_Brando.jpg

young marlon brando was a cutie ;)

They thought it was unholy to bathe in the Middle Ages so I would skip that era, too. The Rennaisance would be exciting. I would want to live in the South pre-Civil War. And no, I wouldn't have a plantation. lol

whenever these pictures were taken.... 1950s?
25iu9w8.jpg

Marlon_Brando.jpg

young marlon brando was a cutie ;)

I like.

The far future.
That is to say, once the world's fossil fuel reserves have run out.
And, importantly, after the inevitable 'Mad Max' period of banditry and lawlessness after the collapse of civilization.
This is the time when humanity has both advanced and regressed; sailing ships and solar-powered technology. People living simple lives in the wreckage of a great civilization, as people once had pigs stabled in the Forum at Rome.
An age when the world could be mysterious and exciting again!

wait what :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
the past for sure! assuming i get to keep my current knowledge. that way, i can totally wow everyone back then with my "gifted" insight into science and medicine in addition help advance the progress of pharmacy practice and overall public health.

at least that's what i'm guessing the interviewer WANTS to hear. ;)

the past for sure! assuming i get to keep my current knowledge. that way, i can totally wow everyone back then with my "gifted" insight into science and medicine in addition help advance the progress of pharmacy practice and overall public health.

at least that's what i'm guessing the interviewer WANTS to hear. ;)

And then you get cholera and die. Or flu and die. Or TB and die.

Damn...

Too bad that's also happening in under-developed countries right now in 2010.

not gonna get into that. Not gonna talk about XDR-TB or anything like that. We're talking about you... as in you, that lives NOT in an under-developed country (at least for now, LOL) and wouldn't die from TB, cholera, flu, or anything else barring extreme circumstances.

not gonna get into that. Not gonna talk about XDR-TB or anything like that. We're talking about you... as in you, that lives NOT in an under-developed country (at least for now, LOL) and wouldn't die from TB, cholera, flu, or anything else barring extreme circumstances.

Hey I just like when you go all "**** is hitting the fan" on people... haha

Since I missed the hearsay thread and everything :(

But yeah... I guess that made up for the lack of car accidents and other untimely ways to die back then...

1940s for sure. Men were real men, women were real women, tv was not common place, people actually took time to read the newspaper, meals were homemade, and the cars were stinkin' beautiful! Plus I think I'd enjoy wearing a Fedora everyday :thumbup:

But yeah... I guess that made up for the lack of car accidents and other untimely ways to die back then...

I laughed so hard at that thread. It was rather amusing.

1940s for sure. Men were real men, women were real women, tv was not common place, people actually took time to read the newspaper, meals were homemade, and the cars were stinkin' beautiful! Plus I think I'd enjoy wearing a Fedora everyday :thumbup:

What is a "real man" and "real woman"

So a man goes to work and the woman is barefoot and pregnant all day tending the home and children?

Gag me.

However, I dig the fedora, I dig the lack of television, and I dig a more polite society.

HOWEVER, the 1940s were far from perfect. Far, far. I can't honestly choose a time I'd want to live in other than the present since, all things considered, we're doing pretty damn well.

LOL, that Renetto guy is a Grade A *****, I'm sure you'll get to see plenty of that if he sticks around. :eek:

LOL, that Renetto guy is a Grade A *****, I'm sure you'll get to see plenty of that if he sticks around. :eek:

LOLOLOL You're the one who can't read in context.

By the way, I'm a P3 about to go on rotations. Do your best to try and get that far THEN come back to me with your insults. Enjoy the ride while you can, rookie.

LOLOLOLOL ... was going to say something, but nothing can match your stupidity.

King of the castle, king of the castle, oooo chair I have chair.

Respect must be earned when it comes to pharmacy and if you're anything in person like you are online, you will be ready for a world of hurt.

Eugenics was also a fad back then ... FDR was a believer in it.

Along with spending the previous decade in severe depression....

Terrible time period.

What is a "real man" and "real woman"
I'm merely speaking of the masculinity of men and femininity of women. I believe I'm as progressive as the next kid in my generation, but I draw the line in terms of a lot of sociology concepts. I think most men today have lost touch with their masculinity (think emo kids :laugh: ) and women with their femininity - harder to tangibly quantify, but all the same I think it is evident in the internal conflict of feeling the need to be independent and accomplished as a modern woman but at the same time trying to maintain intimate relationships with others. In my personal experience, I perceive a lot of women as seeming conflicted and alienated because of this. I doubt many will agree, but you asked for my opinion so there it is.
So a man goes to work and the woman is barefoot and pregnant all day tending the home and children?

Gag me.

However, I dig the fedora, I dig the lack of television, and I dig a more polite society.

HOWEVER, the 1940s were far from perfect. Far, far.
Was your use of the word "dig" a joke or coincidental to the fact it was popular term during the time period?

Your interpretation of my statement is incorrect. I have no desire for an at home wife or kids for that matter.

Eugenics was also a fad back then ... FDR was a believer in it.

Along with spending the previous decade in severe depression....

Terrible time period.
The culture man, the culture...but then again I'm biased for my love of the literature of the time period and wrenching on cars from the era.

I wouldn't want to go to the future because what if we go too far and it isn't even there? What if we just explode... or what if there are new diseases we can't even plan for. Or what if it just stinks... like we're back in the stone age writing on cave walls and there is nothing fun to see? Or what if we've been taken over by aliens and we're all slaves so we just spend the whole trip trying to hide our human form? I'd take my chances with influenza and diarrhea.

lol

I wouldn't want to go to the future because what if we go too far and it isn't even there? What if we just explode... or what if there are new diseases we can't even plan for. Or what if it just stinks... like we're back in the stone age writing on cave walls and there is nothing fun to see? Or what if we've been taken over by aliens and we're all slaves so we just spend the whole trip trying to hide our human form? I'd take my chances with influenza and diarrhea.

lol

What if Jesus has returned and told us we are all going to hell?

I'm merely speaking of the masculinity of men and femininity of women. I believe I'm as progressive as the next kid in my generation, but I draw the line in terms of a lot of sociology concepts. I think most men today have lost touch with their masculinity (think emo kids :laugh: ) and women with their femininity - harder to tangibly quantify, but all the same I think it is evident in the internal conflict of feeling the need to be independent and accomplished as a modern woman but at the same time trying to maintain intimate relationships with others. In my personal experience, I perceive a lot of women as seeming conflicted and alienated because of this. I doubt many will agree, but you asked for my opinion so there it is.

Was your use of the word "dig" a joke or coincidental to the fact it was popular term during the time period?

Your interpretation of my statement is incorrect. I have no desire for an at home wife or kids for that matter.

The culture man, the culture...but then again I'm biased for my love of the literature of the time period and wrenching on cars from the era.

I agree with you. While I don't agree that men and women should be -forced- into upholding a false gender dichotomy (ie: if a woman or man truly feels comfortable in masculine or feminine traits) I am more traditional than the average person my age I guess. The reason I agree with you is that I feel some of the trends in male and female dress, character, attitudes, etc are simply that... trendiness. I think women are made to feel like they have to project a strong, independent, non-feminine (in some people's eyes "weak") demeanor, or else they are a "sell out" or whatever. I feel like it's almost looked down upon if you do happen to uphold traditional gender stereotypes and roles. I'm really independent, don't want kids or a marriage, but I don't see the issue with dressing up, being girly, cooking for your significant other if you want, and stuff like that. I don't see the issue with men who are masculine, hold doors for girls, pay for their dates, stuff like that. People talk about all those things like it is old, antiquated, and plain bad... but I don't think it is. Not saying everyone should follow that, and I'm not saying women weren't really oppressed back then (Stepford Wives) but I do wish we still kept some of the decent traditions and values. Then again I'm pretty conservative on some things so :confused:

Agree 110% :thumbup:. I don't like Gen Y... girls don't wear dresses anymore :(

Funny...When I read the title of this topic, I thought "I want to live when men were real men and women could stay at home and be women." I blame feminists on pushing women into the workforce, which ruined it for people like me that would love to stay home, keep the house orderly, and raise 2.5 kids. Unfortunatly, a one-salary family that can afford a house, car, and send the kids to college is nearly non-existant anymore.

Interestingly, even though my husband and I used to both work full time (and now I'm a full time student while he's at work), somehow I'm still responsible for all the housework getting done, and taking care of our daughter's needs - which is a full time job in itself! I would love a time when this was all I had to do, and we would still be able to make ends meet.

I think a Fedora would look odd on me, but I want to wear this everyday:
10369larger.jpg

I would love to visit the 1960s - so much social change was occurring.

And I love the aesthetic of that time. Mad Men makes me drool every time I watch.

I would love to visit the 1960s - so much social change was occurring.

And I love the aesthetic of that time. Mad Men makes me drool every time I watch.

Are you sure you don't just want to smoke a doobie? lol jk

The '60s were definitely a good time, so I hear LOL. One of my favorite singers of that time is Janis Joplin. She rocks my socks. Too bad heroin got the best of her...

Joan Baez is pretty awesome, too.

King of the castle, king of the castle, oooo chair I have chair.

Respect must be earned when it comes to pharmacy and if you're anything in person like you are online, you will be ready for a world of hurt.
Renetto, the way you conduct yourself on these forums is an indication of your maturity level, which is not accurate of your age, unless you're a child genius.

There's a reason we exist in this era. That's all I'll say.

Renetto, the way you conduct yourself on these forums is an indication of your maturity level, which is not accurate of your age, unless you're a child genius.

There's a reason we exist in this era. That's all I'll say.

This subsection has never been one to be taken seriously anyway, just look at the people who have trolled it on a daily basis since its inception. I've provided relevant information to the people who ask for it and I play the game that other people want to bait me into playing. But of course you have to take everything out of context without seeing the big picture. I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me.

By the way, this is a message board on the internet. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: And even then, who are you to question my maturity? Have you accomplished the things I have? Are you at the same stage of pharmacy school that I am? I made it this far for a reason, think hard about that one.

This subsection has never been one to be taken seriously anyway, just look at the people who have trolled it on a daily basis since its inception. I've provided relevant information to the people who ask for it and I play the game that other people want to bait me into playing. But of course you have to take everything out of context without seeing the big picture. I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me.

By the way, this is a message board on the internet. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: And even then, who are you to question my maturity? Have you accomplished the things I have? Are you at the same stage of pharmacy school that I am? I made it this far for a reason, think hard about that one.
For a P3, you're an arrogant prick. You'll never survive retail with that attitude, much less any specialization you pick, except something where you're all alone for 8+ hours a day.

Good night.

For a P3, you're an arrogant prick. You'll never survive retail with that attitude, much less any specialization you pick, except something where you're all alone for 8+ hours a day.

Good night.

I'm not arrogant, I'm just confident. I've worked enough retail to know I can survive it and I have survived it. Specializations like IV pharmacy and hospital pharmacy are things I find interesting and have learned to love.

I'd rather be an "arrogant prick" than someone who makes inappropriate and inaccurate assumptions about someone they know nothing about. People like you and the others that troll this message board really depress me, it would be a shame if the attitude you present to the rest of us parallels your attitude in the real world.

Back to around 800-1000 AD Arabia. The knowledge of drugs I have as a P2, is enough to mind**** them.

So much so that you'll be gutted as a blasphemer against the caliph, sweet.

If there's some cool gadget that will transport us back to current time before we suffer mortal injury, I think I could go somewhere back in time, but life was far too fragile at any time prior to the 20th century for my taste.

This is easy, I'd go back to biblical times and scratch my name on a wall or pot somewhere and by the time I was born I'd be the new messiah. Either that or I'd go screw up something that was really big in history, ex. writing of the bible, quran, declaration of independence

This is easy, I'd go back to biblical times and scratch my name on a wall or pot somewhere and by the time I was born I'd be the new messiah. Either that or I'd go screw up something that was really big in history, ex. writing of the bible, quran, declaration of independence

If you do one of those, there is a chance that you are not existed in the present time lol

If you do one of those, there is a chance that you are not existed in the present time lol
Man, haven't you ever seen Lost? I'd be in my present in either the future or the past and when I go back to the future/present I will still be in my present and therefore exist. Lost ftw!

Man, haven't you ever seen Lost? I'd be in my present in either the future or the past and when I go back to the future/present I will still be in my present and therefore exist. Lost ftw!
Psssh. NOOB. Can be summed up by three word episode title, "Whatever happened, happened" Season 5 Episode 11 ;)

I'd take my vaccinated self back to the 1950s.

I wouldn't mind fighting in WWII either so back to the '40s would be interesting.