What to bring to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horatiod

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview next monday and I'm not sure if theres any rule of thumb on what to bring to the interview. For example, I'm thinking about bringing a camera (to snap pix during the tour, etc.), which might complement my application since I've listed experiences related to media/photography. On the other hand, it is a bit bulky and I'm scared that it'll be awkward, "touristy," or just be extra bulk that'll end up being a nuisance.

What items have you guys brought to the interview (extra personal statement, porfolio, etc.) and do you think it affected it in any way?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Having a hobby is good, being obsessed is not.
Having a personality is good, being quirky is not.

Leave the camera at home, especially if it is bulky -- if they want to talk with you about media/photography they will bring it up, and you'll get a chance to talk about it.

Bring a briefcase or something to that effect.

You can bring the camera if you're Japanese (just make sure it's Nikon, Kodak, or Fujifilm) and a tripod would most certainly be a nice touch for stabilization during those hard to capture moments. Have someone in your tour group carry the tripod for you of course. I also recommend some 80s montage shots that you can show your kids.Also if you're going the MBA/MD program route, bring a polaroid to sell memory pictures of the tour to fellow applicants and people visiting the hospital :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nix the camera on the tour. If you will be around the school after the official activities are over, you can certainly take a picture of campus, but I think you would look like a tool if you carried a bulky camera around and tried to work it into your interview. :laugh:

I bring a briefcase-sized purse with notes on the school, a notepad, a campus map, and other emergency items (chapstick, cell phone, bandaids, tissues, etc.). If you're a guy, a portfolio would be fine as an alternative.

A bottle of water & some breath mints.
I can smell you from here. And it smells like mango.

horatiod said:
I have my first interview next monday and I'm not sure if theres any rule of thumb on what to bring to the interview. For example, I'm thinking about bringing a camera (to snap pix during the tour, etc.), which might complement my application since I've listed experiences related to media/photography. On the other hand, it is a bit bulky and I'm scared that it'll be awkward, "touristy," or just be extra bulk that'll end up being a nuisance.

What items have you guys brought to the interview (extra personal statement, porfolio, etc.) and do you think it affected it in any way?

Thanks

Agree with the above -- do not bring a camera unless you want to be referred to in the adcom meeting as "that dork with the camera". Bring one of those leather bound portfolio pads with paper and pen (for show and to stow handouts, not to actually write on), a toothpick or floss (as they sometimes give you lunch before the interview), a breath mint or breath strip, some kleenex, perhaps some visine. Other than that, just bring your game face and you are good to go. Good luck.

brass knuckles and a mace. especially if it's a group interview. if you're the only applicant left standing, you can be they'll reward you.

desiredusername said:
A bottle of water & some breath mints.
I can smell you from here. And it smells like mango.

Whats wrong with Mango!!? I love mangos!

S.

shahab said:
Whats wrong with Mango!!? I love mangos!

S.
I love mango, too. But it's not an appropriate interview accessory odor. Be reasonable. Some people.

Oh, to make this germane to the discussion at hand: if you have problems with red eyes, I second the visine.

what about bringing a PDA to show the interviewer a movie of something you did/do?

desiredusername said:
I love mango, too. But it's not an appropriate interview accessory odor. Be reasonable. Some people.

Oh, to make this germane to the discussion at hand: if you have problems with red eyes, I second the visine.

Actually, I bought this brand new perfume - mango flavor! Apparently its the hot trend now! But now I know why no girl will sit next to me in the class!

Hey..I am just kidding around. I know what you mean!

S.

desiredusername said:

and for chrissake, put the bong down!

vn2004 said:
and for chrissake, put the bong down!
Whatever. You aren't the boss of me.
Also, if you have any publications bring in copies. Preferably, give them the glossy re-prints you had made (you did get those from the publisher, right?) but any copy is fine.

desiredusername said:

lol.

Ok, I built a trebuchet (medievil seige weapon for those who dont know) that was ~45 feet tall when extended, and have some mpegs of it tossing things. I think it would be cool to bring it up, and have a video to show them.

desiredusername said:
Also, if you have any publications bring in copies. Preferably, give them the glossy re-prints you had made (you did get those from the publisher, right?) but any copy is fine.

I've actually gotten mixed responses from adcom and former adcom folk who gave me pointers, as to whether one should bring copies of his/her publications. Some surpisingly said it wasn't advisable, others gave a lukewarm sure, go ahead. I guess the concern is that it's better to sell yourself verbally, without props. You definitely want to talk about your publications in the interview, and have them prominently listed on your ECs. But based on the advice I was given, I ultimately decided not to bring mine, and think it was probably a smart move.

Well, don't that beat all. I've been told to bring them along and give a copy to the interviewer, but I definitely see your point about props. Given that research and publications are pretty common ECs there are definitely better ways to stand out than by giving away glossy reprints with colourful figures. I'll ask around some more, but it can't hurt to stash a few copies in your notebook (it won't take up much room) just in case.