what to bring to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choppa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i read somewhere on one of these forums that you should bring a "portfolio" (small, black leathery thing) with you to your interview. i am just wondering what you would keep in this so-called portfolio. what sorts of things have you all been bringing to your interviews? my first is this upcoming thursday. also, is it bad to bring a list of questions that you have about the school in case you totally blank in the interview? any advice would be great! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by choppa
hi everyone!

i read somewhere on one of these forums that you should bring a "portfolio" (small, black leathery thing) with you to your interview. i am just wondering what you would keep in this so-called portfolio. what sorts of things have you all been bringing to your interviews? my first is this upcoming thursday. also, is it bad to bring a list of questions that you have about the school in case you totally blank in the interview? any advice would be great! thanks!

I've seen people with and people without. They do come in handy every but the interview. You can jot notes, take down interviewer's name and addresses for sending thank you notes. I personally would not bring it into the interview - even if you have specific questions. If you must write the questions down, write them on a small card, then refer to it instead.

What I found I needed in my pockets come interview day:

- Comb
- Chapstick
- breath mints
- Motrin/Sudafed

- Tae

You really don't have to bring anything to your interview unless there are things that you personally will need (such as makeup, your application, a brush/comb, etc). It really is up to the individual b/c there are no set guidelines on what to bring to an interview. Good luck on your interview! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I like:

3 x 5 index card or small notebook of similar size
Pen

That's it. Make sure you pick up business cards before you leave, or ask the interviewer for their card...usually MORE than happy to offer one.

Write down names of the interviewers.

Write down any little notes that you can include in your thank you letters to help personalize them.

Have an index card with questions you have for the interviewers, but don't refer to it during the interview...read it over before.

Basically it.

Have fun.

Good luck.

I enjoy my little leather thingie. I fit a notepad for notes (handy for LECOM interview paper reading), two pens, all of my essay's and two resume's.

Also, gives me a place to put my hands aside from my pockets...

I like being prepared, organized and HOPEFULLY professional looking. In the end its simply personal preference.

I found that those who brought fancy portfolios ended up leaving them in the student lounge during interviews. As for a list of questions, that may be counter productive considering that the interview is designed to see how you think on your feet. Do not stress out. Bring a pen, a note pad, and your personality. DO schools are not out to nit pick you. If you have made it to the interview stage, your scores and grades are at least acceptable. What they are interested in getting out of the interview is if you are a good match for thier particular school, and if they belive that you are intelligent, caring, and dedicated enough to be a good physician. Do not be to shy, nor to uppety. Just be yourself, it will pay off in the end. Truth be told, I would be much more comfortable knowing that I got into school based upon my real personality than one I fabricated in order to impress the panel. You will do fine.

Remember the most important thing. If you drive 1500 miles to an interview, make sure you bring your tie. Or else you'll have to go scrambling towards a hotel gift shop, praying to God on the way down in the elevator that they sell ties.

...umm....not that I would know anything about that...but, I .... umm... heard that happened to ... someone.

I agree with most of the posts here. I found that holding the leather thingie made me a bit more relaxed waiting for the interview, for some reason (might be an issue I'll have to deal with later). It's perfect for holding any pamphlets and paper they may hand out to you. I never really took any notes or anything like that, but you never know when you'll have to jot down an email address and such.

god, I left my suit-pants at home for my first interview, LECOM... Wanna talk about heart-attack trying opening up your suite-coat bag only to find a coat, shirt and NO PANTS!!! that happened THE MORNING OF my interview. Luckily I stayed with my friend an MSI at LECOM and we're about the same size.

and I quote him upon finding out I left my pants at home 6am the morning of my interview:

"wow, dude, thats stress"

LOL I stayed surprisingly calm... If it weren't for him, I would've died...