what to bring to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SigurRos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those interviewing, about to interview, or current med students that have gone through this... What did you all bring to your interviews?

I am thinking of printing a few copies of my resume to have on hand, any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

a leather bound portfolio that you'll do absolutly nothing with.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those interviewing, about to interview, or current med students that have gone through this... What did you all bring to your interviews?

I am thinking of printing a few copies of my resume to have on hand, any other ideas?

Most people bring one of those leather folios with a pad if you need to jot down names, and with pockets so you can stick the fin aid stuff they will give you in there. A pen (but not a leaky one). Bring floss or a toothpick -- you might be interviewed after lunch. Maybe a breath mint, kleenex, visine. No reason to bring a resume unless you are a nontrad with a lengthy work history that AMCAS doesn't really capture -- you basically have to work this interview without props.

Bring a camera and do an arm-length shot with the interviewer!

Then let us know how that went over.. :p

I'm probably going to bring a copy of my primary and secondary. More for my own reference than anything. I've completed over 20 secondaries, so it'll be good to be able to take a look at the secondary questions and responses before the interview.

I'm also going to bring a photo in case they ask for it (or in case they didn't receive the one I sent, or the one that I uploaded didn't work well).

I'm probably going to bring a copy of my primary and secondary. More for my own reference than anything. I've completed over 20 secondaries, so it'll be good to be able to take a look at the secondary questions and responses before the interview.

I'm also going to bring a photo in case they ask for it (or in case they didn't receive the one I sent, or the one that I uploaded didn't work well).

i think this is good practice. i know at my pitt interview last year there was some down time sititng in the admissions office and it was nice to review my amcas and secondary, if only to not appear like i was zoning out and about to fall asleep.

i think this is good practice. i know at my pitt interview last year there was some down time sititng in the admissions office and it was nice to review my amcas and secondary, if only to not appear like i was zoning out and about to fall asleep.
You don't typically bring your bag, do you? But how would you carry all of that otherwise? In your leather portfolio?

Here's a SDN podcast that I did last year that gives you a few hints as to what to bring and how to organize yourself. You can download it from the SDN site and listen. SDN Interview Podcast Depending on how fast your connection, it does take a few seconds to download so be patient.

Enjoy!

The best thing that I had was a nice looking sleek black handbag that was able to hold my portfolio as well as all the information they gave me.

The other things that I needed with me were a bottle of water (I get stressed if I can't have anything to drink with me at all times) and some tic tacs to eat after lunch.

The best thing that I had was a nice looking sleek black handbag that was able to hold my portfolio as well as all the information they gave me.

The other things that I needed with me were a bottle of water (I get stressed if I can't have anything to drink with me at all times) and some tic tacs to eat after lunch.

It sounds like bad breath is a bad thing. Is this an accurate assessment?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the list I made of stuff to dring:

Leather portfolio - with pad of paper and pockets
Pen
AMCAS App
Secondary App
Honors Thesis (if you have one) or any publications
Breathe Mints/ Floss (good idea stolen from Law2Doc)
Have a few facts about the school jotted down
Have a list of questions about the school (general and specific)
Money

Before going to the interview (some of this can be done in the plane):

1) review your secondary and make sure you are prepared for EVERY questions they could ask you

2) go over your college transcripts and make sure you are ready to explain any problems in it (C's/P's and W's). Remember B's are good grades so if they ask you about a B don't feel the need to explain it away.

3) Quickly jot down any recent books you have read, and you favorite alltime books, and any journal articles you know pretty all (as a plus, if you find an article by someone on staff at the school you may want to read it, print the abstract and bring it with you to reference)

4) If you have pictures of yourself participating in some community service activities or academic events (things that are special so no Graduation photos, nothing Greek, and nothing with RA/Student council stuff, think volunteer work or working a lab or presenting at a conference) you can bring these and hold onto them. If you get the opportunity, mention that you have them but DO NOT pull them out. If they want to see them then they will tell you. Only mention them if the activity in the pictures actually comes up.

GOOD LUCK :thumbup: and stay relaxed. My friend gave me a tip to relax that I really like (she used it to get into UCLA and Yale Buisness school). Think of a really ridiculous song (I have a person list if you want some suggestions) and then get it stuck in your head. When you are sitting and waiting for your interview it will be harder to get ridiculously nervous if your thinking "I've got a lovely bunch of coconut deedle lee dee" :laugh:

Good point julietcf! I'll definitely jot down some notes on what I like in particular about the program/school and some questions that I have. Maybe I'll print off a copy of the campus map and/or the admissions phone number.

From reading a bunch of the interview invite threads, I'd say that one of the questions that would have caught me most off guard are the variations on:

If you could have dinner with any three historical (or sometimes they say fictional, or simply say "anyone living or dead") figures, which would they be and why?

I'd definitely give this one some thought now. I remember some poor guy in the interview invite "disaster" thread saying how he was asked which three fictional figures he'd want to have dinner with, and he panicked and included Einstein in his answer. After being reminded that Einstein wasn't fictional, he said Superman.

We all expect to be asked questions like "why medicine," "what's a problem with our healthcare system and what would you fix about it," ethical issues, or "why us?" but I think it's the random questions above that have the most power to knock us off our game. At least, that's my impression. It's not necessarily something to bring to your interview, but it's definitely something to prep. I've actually been copying and pasting a bunch of the commonly asked questions from the interview forum on SDN for each school, and putting them into a word doc. I may bring that with me, just to think about the questions and how I would answer them while on the plane....

4) If you have pictures of yourself participating in some community service activities or academic events (things that are special so no Graduation photos, nothing Greek, and nothing with RA/Student council stuff, think volunteer work or working a lab or presenting at a conference) you can bring these and hold onto them. If you get the opportunity, mention that you have them but DO NOT pull them out. If they want to see them then they will tell you. Only mention them if the activity in the pictures actually comes up.

:confused:

This is excessive. You don't need to bring pictures.

Here's what I brought to interviews:

Pen
Mints
Folder w/ a few sheets of looseleaf paper
My PS, only because one school I interviewed asked us to bring

Here's what I reviewed/prepared:

Secondary responses
My Research publications
Questions about the school

Did anyone ever play the question game with friends during highschool? I remember doing this online when i was in like 10th grade with friends (usually with the opposite sex). But, looking back, I think it helped me learn how to answer "random" questions. Also since I asked a bunch it also showed me what a good ro bad answer was....

but alas.. taking to a girl on aim is a lot different that a med school interview.. so maybe i didn't learn anything.

here are some that I remember (yeah they are random, and probably not helpful):

What color describes how you are feeling right now and why?
If you could redo one thing in your life what would it be?
What animal would you want to be, why?
do you think intelligent life exsits on other planets, will we find it in our lifetime, in 1000 years, ever?
what was the funnest moment in your life/today/some time scale?
where do you see yourself in 10/15/etc years?
what has been your proudest moment?
what is your biggest weakness/strength?

and a bunch of other ones....

It sounds like bad breath is a bad thing. Is this an accurate assessment?

In general I keep tic tacs with me for eating after lunch more for getting the clean fresh feeling more than anything else. I'm not sure whether people are able to tell a difference or not, but yes, bad breath = bad.

Juice42: Lemme guess - was the "what animal would you want to be, and why" question at Northwestern?

I haven't had any interviews.. this was just a list of random interview questions that people have asked me for kicks over the years.. some med school some not.

btw does everyone say "dolphin" -- you are free!! (and dolphins are the only other species to have sex for fun...)

People bring ledgers, but ultimately you'll never use one. Bringing a resume is pointless because you would have probably mailed it with your secondary (if it's a snail mail secondary), so they have it on record. Just bring yourself, and a suit :p

btw does everyone say "dolphin" -- you are free!! (and dolphins are the only other species to have sex for fun...)

I dare someone to answer with that. HAH! The last time I thought about this question was when I was pretty young. I remember wanting to be a flying squirrel so that I could have the best of both worlds - air and land. Cute, eh? If it had to be water-based, it was a manta ray. But probably just cause I thought they were neat.

Yikes, I can totally see freezing up and saying flying squirrel. *snort* But perhaps I'll update it to a seeing-eye dog. *shrug*

:confused:

This is excessive. You don't need to bring pictures.

I mentioned the pictures because a friend of my used some at his Pitt interview and not only did he get in, he said that they LOVED the pictures and the rest of his interview was a breeze. However, this was a post bac linkage interview which are generally a little less stressful.

Take a cute man-purse and stash a pad, a pen, some Kleenex, and a toothbrush and toothpaste (lordy, you people with your floss and mints, just brush yer teeth!), plus all the various papers that make you feel secure. For the truly nervous, tuck a Depends in that bag, along with some acetaminophen and some baby wipes. (Women, pack a spare pair of pantyhose.) Take the fabulous glossy Our Medical School magazine they sent you and hold it admiringly in view.

When I interviewed I had the following in a nice, leather (at least leather-like), briefcase-style purse that I got from target for less than $30:
-primary
-secondary for that school
-toothbrush/toothpaste (and yes I did brush my teeth after lunch...better to be safe)
-mints
-my resume
-chapstick
-super glue (ridiculous, but I was super paranoid about my heel breaking)
-extra pair of panty hose
-my wallet and keys

excessive? definitely, but if it will give you peace of mind on interview day and you don't look bulky then its worth it. If you are a girl planning to wear panty hose, I would definitely bring an extra pair. I didn't have to do an emergency change in the middle of any interview days, but I did notice that with all the walking a pair only lasts 1-2 days without any sort of run. It was really nice to be able to put all the info they give you into a purse of some sort. I think it'd be nice to have the leather portfolio for guys.

Someone should sticky this... it's really helpful!

oh! I forgot to add an umbrella. My "briefcase-like" purse came with this little umbrella. I wouldn't have thought to bring one, but I kept it in there for all my interviews. It was brown, so it matched the purse and my suit perfectly! I actually had to use it on one of the interviews where we walked outside to various buildings and I'm really glad I had it!

Keep in mind that although you're all making good suggestions, I found that 90-95% of the stuff you'll bring you won't need or use. I personally get somewhat flustered if I'm caring around a lot of stuff with me, so I tend to be a minimalist at interviews. Something to keep in mind. Anything that's required you will be told about in advance. I think being comfortable is more important than anythiing else, so bring what you need to make yourself feel that way.

Regarding flights. I had a question about what to bring. I think you're allotted one suitcase and one carry-on. (it's been four years since my last flight) I'm just wondering how you would pack for a 1-3 day trip?

Regarding flights. I had a question about what to bring. I think you're allotted one suitcase and one carry-on. (it's been four years since my last flight) I'm just wondering how you would pack for a 1-3 day trip?

It's two suitcases (to check), one carry-on bag, and one smaller bag (purse, laptop bag, etc.) to carry on.

You probably don't want to check anything in though. Just in case. Especially not your suit/shirt/shoes/ties. Pack some tshirts and a pair of jeans in your backpack/messenger bag if you want to travel minimally.

You probably don't want to check anything in though. Just in case. Especially not your suit/shirt/shoes/ties. Pack some tshirts and a pair of jeans in your backpack/messenger bag if you want to travel minimally.

LoL. I was thinking that, but if that's so...I'm going to need further advice on packing. Where would the suit go? :p I was simply going to use the entire suitcase for a wrinkle free suit and carry everything else in my duffel bag with my laptop. However, now i'm just confused. :p

People bring ledgers, but ultimately you'll never use one. Bringing a resume is pointless because you would have probably mailed it with your secondary (if it's a snail mail secondary), so they have it on record. Just bring yourself, and a suit :p

:thumbup: If you've got one of those leather portfolios, maybe bring it, but don't buy one. Every school I interviewed at gave me a big folder full of all their papers, making any other type of folder superfluous. They generally also give you a pen. :) I've never heard of anybody actually giving a resume or anything else to the interviewers, and you don't take notes during the interview. Be prepared, confident and well-groomed. Don't worry about anything else.

LoL. I was thinking that, but if that's so...I'm going to need further advice on packing. Where would the suit go? :p I was simply going to use the entire suitcase for a wrinkle free suit and carry everything else in my duffel bag with my laptop. However, now i'm just confused. :p

use a suitcase that meets carry-on limits and put all your clothing in it--and carry it on so it cannot be lost as checked luggage.

I always have to check my little suitcase now - because of my contact lens solution...

I always have to check my little suitcase now - because of my contact lens solution...

I don't think they sell any bottles that are under the (3oz?) or whatever the liquid limit is now...

I will try to describe a good solution if you don't have a garment bag. Open your empty suitcase. Lay your suit so that half of it is in your suitcase and the other half is outside your suitcase. (No folding yet!) Pack everything else on top of the part of your suit that is in the suitcase. Now that your suitcase is full with pajamas all that good stuff, fold the remaining half of your suit over the top. Did that make sense?

I agree that you should NOT check anything. Don't want to chance something getting lost, and it takes extra time to check baggage anyways. A carry-on rolling bag or duffel bag should be plenty of space for 1-3 days.

You could get one of those little empty travel-size bottles from any supermarket or Target-type store. Put your solution in there, and you'll be able to carry it on. Just remember to put it in a clear plastic bag when you go through security.

silverlining has a good idea about packing suits. Really though, you should just get a garment bag and stick everything in there (even shoes in their own bag) and give it to a stewardess to put in the aircraft cabinet.

Just don't forget to grab it before you disembark.

I don't think they sell any bottles that are under the (3oz?) or whatever the liquid limit is now...

they sell 4 oz ones; and i've taken on 16 oz normal size ones in the last month; it wasn't even in a ziploc. i guess it's because i look so much like a terrorist that they figure i wouldn't be stupid enough to try anything.