What to Bring to Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishCalini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all~

So my first interview of the season is coming up, and I'm trying to make a checklist for things I should bring with me for the interview day.

I've seen here before that girls should bring makeup touch-ups, an extra set of pantyhose, etc. but what about other stuff?

Should I bring a copy of my AMCAS application? Secondary? A notebook to jot things down? :confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Gum or breath mints. Your mouth will be dry before the interview

Besides your girly needs, you dont really need anything except maybe a pen and a portfolio with a note pad to jot things down. Some schools will actually provide a note pad and a pen, but obviously dont count on it.

I dont know if gum is such a good idea....what if you forget about it, and you find yourself chewing gum in the middle of the interview. Just saying. If your mouth is dry get a bottle of water, which they will usually hand out, and if you need to you can even have a drink during the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides your girly needs, you dont really need anything except maybe a pen and a portfolio with a note pad to jot things down. Some schools will actually provide a note pad and a pen, but obviously dont count on it.

I dont know if gum is such a good idea....what if you forget about it, and you find yourself chewing gum in the middle of the interview. Just saying. If your mouth is dry get a bottle of water, which they will usually hand out, and if you need to you can even have a drink during the interview.

I dunno, bad breath can be distracting, especially if the interview is conducted in a small room. You'll know when your scheduled interview is so you can chew some gum 15 minutes before hand and spit it out. It seems unlikely someone will just "forget" about the gum.

Hey all~

So my first interview of the season is coming up, and I'm trying to make a checklist for things I should bring with me for the interview day.

I've seen here before that girls should bring makeup touch-ups, an extra set of pantyhose, etc. but what about other stuff?

Should I bring a copy of my AMCAS application? Secondary? A notebook to jot things down? :confused:

Thanks!

Congrats on the interview! Paper/pen would be wise — some schools may give you a folder with that stuff, but others won't, so it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Based on my experience, a lot of guys brought leather folders that had paper inside for notes. Most of the women had tote bags that were large enough to fit the folder that the school gives you along with anything else (i.e. change of shoes). I don't think you would need your AMCAS application and/or your secondary, unless you want to run through it before your interview. Your interviewer will either already have your application (if it's open file), or will ask you to tell more about yourself (if closed file). Either way, I can't think of an instance where you would need a paper copy.

If your interview is after lunch, it wouldn't hurt to bring some floss or a mini travel toothbrush so you can freshen up before you go in. :)

You can also use Listerine pocket packs. Just be careful becuase they might make your mouth dry, so drink a lot of water.

A lot of people bring their resumes, but I never understood the point in that.

I would recommend Louis-Vatton bags, because those are nice. Also remember to bring a lightsaber, hammer, firecracker, wrench, cherrybombs, a voodoo doll, and a sandwich kit, in case the interviewer asks you to make him a sandwich LOL.

What are some good types of bags to bring?

Honestly, your budget and comfort level will dictate that. Most ladies I saw had some sort of black or navy tote bag, and you can decide if you want to shop on a budget (Target, Kohl's), go midline (Macy's), or splurge (Kate Spade, Coach). I did see a couple purses that were more brightly colored.

You can look for one with a lightsaber pouch, but you might have to pay extra. ;)

Honestly, your budget and comfort level will dictate that. Most ladies I saw had some sort of black or navy tote bag, and you can decide if you want to shop on a budget (Target, Kohl's), go midline (Macy's), or splurge (Kate Spade, Coach). I did see a couple purses that were more brightly colored.

You can look for one with a lightsaber pouch, but you might have to pay extra. ;)

I love it when women have those bags, its so sexy ;) lol.

I would recommend Louis-Vatton bags, because those are nice. Also remember to bring a lightsaber, hammer, firecracker, wrench, cherrybombs, a voodoo doll, and a sandwich kit, in case the interviewer asks you to make him a sandwich LOL.

Hmm actually those are in my other bag ;)

But seriously, thanks for the tips everyone!

I definitely bring flats to my interviews. Heels are nice, but after one campus/hospital tour my feet were screaming!