What to buy/bring to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to be optimistic and assume that I will be accepted this year. Since I do not have a money tree growing in my back yard, I have decided to start making purchases ahead of time to spread the expenses over a longer time period.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions or lists of what they took to their program or wish they would have. Some of the common things I assume would be scrubs, a PDA, stethescope, and comfy shoes/surg clogs. Oh, and LOTS OF CAFFINATED PRODUCTS!!

Any other suggestions?
Thank you for your time and assistance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

if I were you I would just save the money and wait since you won't know exactly what you will need for each specific school and also if each school has certain products that you need (for example a certain brand, etc). or if they let you borrow something.....

i agree with doncoz.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. For example, I can get scrubs for free at my school. Also, if you wanna save money, don't buy a PDA now!! It's really not necessary when you're starting med school.

Well, you'll need a decent computer at most schools- so that could be one thing (i'm keeping the old dog i have here for a few more years). I'm sure there's no restriction on what type of computer you can have. Furniture is always something (if you're intending to have an apartment). --Trek

I would hold off on specific med school things. Most students don't really use thier PDA's until 3rd year and equipment such as scrubs and the like are often purchased thru the school and worked into the fin aid pakages. However I agreee with Trek that geting a computer and apartment stuff would be a good idea. Desks, bookshelevs, bed, dressers, lamps etc. I would focus on your bedroom stuff as you don't know who you'll be sharing an apartment with. Also Kitchen ware like pots and pans and cookbooks if you need them :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Stayce:
•... I have decided to start making purchases ahead of time to spread the expenses over a longer time period.

Any other suggestions? •••••Although spreading out your expenditure may seem less painful than buying all at once, your best bet may be to take the money you would spend now, put it in a 3 (or 6) month CD or T-bill and earn a quick 3.5%-6.5% on it until med school starts, and then you'll have more money to spend when you finally know what you really need!

Just my .02.

I would agree that saving or investing $$ in the meantime would be wise, as you won't really know what you'll need until you get there.

But, if you are going to invest, I wouldn't get a 6 month CD at this time, as interest rates are pretty low on them (my husband put some money in one the other day and the interest was only about 2%, which I know is better than nothing, but still pretty weak--at least I won't spend all the money up before school though..hehe)

I agree, I'm personally waiting until I find out from schools to make purchases. Depending on the school you might get a furnished apartment/dorm and like stated above many purchases are worked into fin. aid so it makes more sense to make your decision then. I've even heard of schools giving away PDA's or working in a computer/pda into your fin aid package.

I second that, lady in red, what is a PDA???? :confused:

I would suggest some non-caffeinated tea and honey to relax with.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctor Foxy:
•I second that, lady in red, what is a PDA???? :confused: •••••Personal Desktop Assistant -- ya know a Palm Pilot

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lady in red:
•What's a PDA? :confused: •••••It's a Personal Digital Assistant, like a Palm Pilot or Ipaq hand unit.

and is it required to have a pda?

A lot of people in the wards use them for reference... Carrying around a Palm is a lot easier than carrying around a reference book with the properties of every single drug in them! Also, they help to keep things organized.

A lot of schools do suggest that their students have one... I know that at my home school, they send out copies of their schedules in formats that can be downloaded into PDA's, and put out a lot of material like that.

My suggestion would be to go to classes for a week or two, and decide if you'd ever use one. If not, then wait until third year, when they become very useful, regardless of what school!

I tend to agree with everybody else - wait on the "med school specific" stuff. You usually get scrubs from the hospital laundry - they are free and they will take em back and wash them when you bring them back for another 3 sets (useful in anatomy, since you *really* dont want that smell in your washer). Also, for stethoscope and all that jazz, wait and see if you can get some good deals from the reps that visit the school. Also, the school might have specific requirements, etc. The one thing that *I* would do is to start stocking up on "professional" clothing. I dont mean the black funeral suit-interview style, but stuff that you would wear day-to-day in an office setting (NOT SUITS - wearing a jacket under a white coat is kinda silly). The clothing will serve you well no matter what, and it is the main thing that people do NOT have after college. (If you've been in the workforce a few years, thats a different story). Dont go off the deep end money-wise until you know what you need.

good luck!
Star

so for women, are blouses and dress pants ok (or skirts below the knee)? That kind of stuff?