What to cover for orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkhope

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I know the best would be to cover everything that is suggested, but I'm really short on time, I mean I can only spare maybe a couple of more days on orgo, what should I cover?

Please help with suggestions other than the following:
Nomencalture, isomers, bonding, sn1, sn2, e1,e2, aromatics, purification/separation, spectroscopy

Thanks alot,

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, isn't that just basically only purification/separation and spectroscopy for the orgo part?

thanks, isn't that just basically only purification/separation and spectroscopy for the orgo part?

If you have EK Biology, read Lecture 4. Make sure you understand everything. Also make sure you understand chirality and stereochemistry well. Reactions are pretty much irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions are irrelevant on the MCAT?

Well, it depends. You need to have an intuition about how reactions occur. But I have never seen a single question on any MCAT related to a specific organic chemistry reaction. If you have the time, study them. If you don't, it probably won't matter so much.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the organic chemistry tested on the MCAT is about the simple, but very important concepts: resonance, stability/acidity, biochemical applications, and maybe a little bit about SN1/SN2 reactions.

Probably not going to see anything about a Wolff Kishner reduction.

I've seen both Wolfie and Diels-Alder on AAMC practice tests. It's always a possibility.

Yes, but you don't need to know the reaction beforehand. I guess it does help (which is why studying them certainly wouldn't hurt), but if you know orgo basics, you can solve any orgo passage. That's all I am saying.