NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Idk man I think you should just apply

I feel like this whole "gap year" thing is getting out of hand.

Reactions: MCAT1007 and Weirdy

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Your application looks great. Unless you're absolutely unhappy with your MCAT and know you can do better, I wouldn't suggest retaking it. A 515 is a good score.

If you feel that those gap years would be best for you before diving into medicine, go for it. We can't really give you a concrete answer on what to do with them. What do you want to get out of them? Volunteering? Alternate work exploration? A new hobby? Learning an instrument? Google is your best friend for those things.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Uhhh it's a little late for this cycle
I feel like people always say that on here, but I've heard of lots of stories of people applying "SUPER LATE" (by SDN's neurotic standards) and getting in anyway. I also feel like these ridiculous SDN standards are what's driving people to take more and more gap years because SDN is always telling them that they aren't ready yet.

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Probably still at work
I feel like people always say that on here, but I've heard of lots of stories of people applying "SUPER LATE" (by SDN's neurotic standards) and getting in anyway. I also feel like these ridiculous SDN standards are what's driving people to take more and more gap years because SDN is always telling them that they aren't ready yet.
Okay, I suppose if you listen to the random students on here. The admins, especially gonnif, say that Labor Day is when you should be complete and have everything done. They constantly tell everyone to calm down otherwise.

It's VERY late to begin an app. Don't pretend otherwise to go against some imaginary grain.

Also what is wrong with gap years..? This isn't a race to beat your friends.

Reactions: eteshoe

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Also what is wrong with gap years..? This isn't a race to beat your friends.
Nothing inherently wrong about gap years, I just don't like how we have "gap year creep" going on where people feel the pressure to take at least one or even more gap years just to be competitive for med school.

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Probably still at work
Nothing inherently wrong about gap years, I just don't like how we have "gap year creep" going on where people feel the pressure to take at least one or even more gap years just to be competitive for med school.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hello all,

I am thinking of taking couple years off. So, I will be applying in June, 2018. Could you please help figure out what else I need to add to strengthen my application?

GPA : 3.91 (science major but I took a lot of non science classes and will keep doing it)
MCAT : 515

Volunteering :

· Translated documents for an international organization with a good cause.

· Habitat for humanity (I volunteered every Saturday in landscaping and building homes for a year and still doing it)

Research:
I did a LOT, many years. No publications.

Jobs: (part time throughout college)

· IT for couple years

· Tutoring for a year

· TA for multiple semesters

· Lab tech for couple years

Others:
I’ll probably put all these as one because there is not much to say about them.
Fluent in 4 languages and currently learning Spanish (I really want to speak it before medical school).
Phi Beta Kappa, Summa cum laude, Iota Sigma Pi, another one from school about leadership, Association for Women in Mathematics.

I did a semester of clinical research but the program wasn’t well structured (they changed it now and it’s great according to friends) so I don’t feel like putting it in the app. I would prefer to find another similar position instead.
Get some clinical experience and a tech job or IRTA (since you've done a lot of research) position.