What to do after an unsuccessful app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueRenegade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I had very unsuccessful application cycle. The thing is I did not improve my application in any meaningful way during my senior year, so I'll be taking two years off and apply the beginning of the second year. Here are the options I was considering:

1. Whatever I decide to do during my gap year, I plan on retaking the MCAT, hopefully before whatever program/internship I do. The thing is my overall score is solid (33) but imbalanced (8V). Wise to retake or not? My AAMC verbal average was 10-11. (EDIT: I'm Asian)

2. I'm pretty sure there was a red flag in my application which held me back in my state school (which gives very heavy preference to in-state) despite having a solid all around application (~3.99 GPA at time of application, adequate shadowing/volunteering, etc). I asked for feedback and will hopefully get it soon. If it is something I can fix quickly (if it is a LOR), should I apply ED this coming cycle? I will still retake MCAT and do gap year stuff as if I will not get admission in preparation for the next cycle. Also the thing is that I have not done much my senior year (stupidly), but if I fix the red flag, I should be ok right? Also, if I don't get ED that cycle, would it hurt future chances of applying?

3. I was thinking about applying to a fun and interesting experience like Americorp, etc for this year. But the thing is that I want to retake MCAT and these programs are mostly full-time. I doubt I will have time to do additional shadowing and also study for MCAT while working. So I was considering doing research instead, which will leave me time to MCAT/volunteer/shadow, but the thing is I have 3 years of research which I feel is enough. I don't think I'll be ready to take MCAT by August, which is when the programs I'm interested in start.

4. I hear that preference is given to older applicants. Is it because they have better resumes due to having more time? Or do admissions like older applicants because they are supposed to be more mature, etc.?

Thanks for reading through this. I need some help deciding what to do now! I'm also shooting for upper tier schools, since I am taking extra time to boost my resume. But if I don't get in, oh well, I will have hopefully fixed whatever red flag I feel is in my app and hopefully get in my state school next time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your MCAT is sexy already. no need to retake

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1- What are your ECs like @justAstudent is asking? Maybe you're lacking something really huge. I know you said "solid" but maybe it's better for strangers to take an unbiased look. Afterall, if you had a solid app with a killer GPA and a 33 MCAT, we wouldn't be here right?
2- Did you turn in your app late? If so, how late?
3- I would shoot for schools in all ranges!

As a non-trad on their third round with still no acceptances, your lips to G-d's ears that people want older applicants.

I suspect if that is true, which I am not sure about as I was told last year that I was getting too old to start in medicine, that the preference would involve maturity/life experience. One is not going to have the same outlook on life at 32 than 22. A lot of 22 year olds are still living off their parents, they might not have seen suffering or had to go through the same life experiences that older applicants have gone through. Those life experiences are important when trying to talk to a patient.

Regarding the potential red flag, do you have an idea of what it might be? If your state school didn't accept you because of the red flag, I'm confused as to how you would remove/fix it? If it's from a rec letter, I wouldn't assume that removing the letter of rec will be enough--they probably will remember why they didn't accept you the last time around.

As for the older applicants, I always thought it was for a couple reasons - maturity, better life experiences (read: ECs), and different perspectives that they can bring to the class.

retake the mcat if you want to shoot for a top tier school. don't ed until you retake and base it of off what you get. there is most likely a red flag in your app so the feedback should be helpful. if the reflag is the main reason for you having an unsuccessful app cycle, then don't focus too much on getting more volunteering and shadowing if you already have a sufficient amount. i personally think a gap yr to do something you like will be quite beneficial in developing you as a person and improving your application.

You are right that schools like older applicants, but it's not because they are more mature. They have more "life" experience. I see you talking a lot about research, volunteering, MCAT scores and grades - most everybody has all of that, and sadly base their entire application on those things. I think you should show more character and go out and do that Americorp program you are talking about. Go get more involved in your community - spearhead some new programs that will help the less fortunate. Work with the homeless population or serve refugee students and families - be more of a leader in your community. These are the types of experiences that make students stand out - facing adverse situations and displaying how you handled them are far more appealing than getting more science/medical exposure. You have a sufficient amount of it, so go out and do something different. That's my 2 cents...

1- What are your ECs like @justAstudent is asking? Maybe you're lacking something really huge. I know you said "solid" but maybe it's better for strangers to take an unbiased look. Afterall, if you had a solid app with a killer GPA and a 33 MCAT, we wouldn't be here right?
2- Did you turn in your app late? If so, how late?
3- I would shoot for schools in all ranges!

1. I have teaching, shadowing, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, research, leadership. I suspect one of my LOR to be the problem. I won't know for sure until I get feedback though
2. Nope, sent it in fairly early.

Regarding the potential red flag, do you have an idea of what it might be? If your state school didn't accept you because of the red flag, I'm confused as to how you would remove/fix it? If it's from a rec letter, I wouldn't assume that removing the letter of rec will be enough--they probably will remember why they didn't accept you the last time around.

Yes, I think it is a LOR, but I am not certain. But hmm you're right, I didn't think of it like that... they probably still would remember.

I was in a reasonably similar situation last year (slightly lower GPA and higher MCAT). I was sitting on no U.S. acceptances and a couple waitlists. I was then asked to fill in as a coach for a very close friend at his business in a sport that I'm very passionate about. I committed to it, and also decided to get my massage therapy license as a way to support myself until I could get into medical school. Having reapplied this year and been more successful, I feel that the combination of coaching and getting my massage license made me stand out, and made me seem more genuine in my interviews because both are things that I am passionate and excited about.

My point is that you may not need to take 2 years off, but may instead need to find a way to stand out/seem more genuine. It worked for me, and allowed me to pursue things that I love before going to school. I would suggest finding 1-2 things that you are passionate about/always wanted to do, and feature it. Live it, love it, and use it as a selling point for why the Adcoms would want to sit next to you at a bar every Friday night instead of some other applicant.

Hmm ok.. so it seems that the general consensus is that I do something other than standard research/volunteering. But I want more feedback about whether to take MCAT or not.

My stats are the same, except I earned 33 on the MCAT with an 8 in VR upon retaking. My first score was 31 with a 7 in VR. sGPA and cGPA were both 3.94.

I was accepted to two state schools as an OOS applicant and waitlisted at 3 programs. Your MCAT probably wasn't the deal breaker for most of the schools, but maybe at top programs. I would say don't retake the MCAT if you were a first-time applicant and applying broadly, but since you're reapplying it may be a good idea to retake the test. Take a look at my MDapplicants profile for specifics.

Good luck!

EDIT: I read your last thought. "I'm also shooting for upper tier schools, since I am taking extra time to boost my resume."

Based on my experience of applying with low VR, I suggest retaking your MCAT. I truly believe my VR score is what put me on the waitlists at higher ranked programs. I'm not complaining, but I want you to be aware of the long process you will likely endure given your situation.

Last edited:
You might have a bad letter, but you probably have a bad list.
Re-taking a 33 doesn't make you a more desirable candidate at a "top tier."

Sorry, what do you mean by a bad list? Do you mean the schools I applied to?

Yes, she means that.

But I did apply broadly >20 schools. Not all the schools I applied to were reaches haha. Which makes me more suspicious of a unforeseen red flag. No interviews OOS except for one non-reach.

But I did apply broadly >20 schools. Not all the schools I applied to were reaches haha. Which makes me more suspicious of a unforeseen red flag. No interviews OOS except for one non-reach.
How many of the schools on your list had median acceptance stats that would have put you at or above the median?
How many of these have an IS bias? Were you IS?
How many interviews did you get?