What to do after Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrbitClean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a broad questions, but I am finishing up the licensure requirements to practice dentistry. However, until I complete part II, what can a recent dental graduate do until they are licensed?

Can you work under someone else's license, participate in a GPR program, teach, etc? Obviously it would be temporary, but are there temp licenses or permits to treat patients?

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a broad questions, but I am finishing up the licensure requiremtns to practice dentistry. However, until I complete part II, what can a recent dental graduate do until they are licensed?

Can you work under someone else's license, participate in a GPR program, teach, etc? Obviously it would be temporary, but are there temp licenses or permits to treat patients?

You basically can do nothing until you pass your licensure requirements. What you can do is go and get a regular job like dental assisting to pay the bills.

That's what I thought as well, but thought I ask. Not even residencies where you could work under another person's license or in a communtiy center?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought as well, but thought I ask. Not even residencies where you could work under another person's license or in a communtiy center?

You could do a GPR or AEGD. Those usually only require you to have a DDS, you don't need Part II or a licensing exam. Many people fail NERB or WREB but can still start their GPRs and retake it later. We had a guy in our group who had his DDS but not his part II because his school didn't require Part II to get his DDS. In NY we had to get a limited license for the GPR that said we could only practice at our GPR, and in TN we didn't even need that to do residency here. However, a GPR or AEGD is a 1 year commitment so keep that in mind.

You could do a GPR or AEGD. Those usually only require you to have a DDS, you don't need Part II or a licensing exam. Many people fail NERB or WREB but can still start their GPRs and retake it later. We had a guy in our group who had his DDS but not his part II because his school didn't require Part II to get his DDS. However, a GPR or AEGD is a 1 year commitment so keep that in mind.

Most GPR and AEGD programs want you to send them your diploma before you start. That requires you to have your part II scores. I have not heard of anything with you working under someones liscence not unless you are in a AEGD or GPR program.

Most GPR and AEGD programs want you to send them your diploma before you start. That requires you to have your part II scores. I have not heard of anything with you working under someones liscence not unless you are in a AEGD or GPR program.

That's what I thought. But our co-resident was a graduate of Stonybrook, and he had not taken his part II but had his diploma. According to him, you didn't need to have passed part II to graduate from their dental school. So either he didn't have a diploma and was bluffing, or those really are the rules at Stonybrook. I don't feel like looking it up, maybe someone else here would know.

If your waiting to get your license, maybe a teaching job is possible granted if a school is looking for instructors in a dental assisting class? Long shot, but maybe.

If you participate in a GPR or AEGD and get a temp license is that a state to state thing or is that the majority of post-doc programs?