What to do after Undergrad and before Med-School? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImaDoctah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be graduating after the Fall 2011 Semester. This means that between January 2012- August 2012 (when med-school starts,) I will have free-time and don't know how to fill it so that it pleases med-school. I was thinking about getting a job, but what should I look into, and would a job accept me for only a 7 month period? I live in the DC metro/ Northern VA area. Does anyone know if I can contact hospitals to see if they have internships? I am pretty confused about what the best thing to do is for those seven months. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, but are there even options out there that are available like that? if so, what are they?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure there are, but in this tight economy, anything paid will be tough to get. Volunteer? Sure, every hospital will gladly take free labor. Call one up.

It would help if you told us what your background is. The easiest jobs to get (though they require a certification that is relatively easy to get) are CNA, phlebotomy and EMT (those all show an interest in health care). For CNAs especially, you can get up and running pretty quickly.

You can also look for places hiring temp workers (in labs etc.). Again, this all depends on your background.

CNA is hard. But that may be coming from the fact that i work on very stressful. Phlebotomy, less stupid floor politics and crazy.

If money is not an issue, I would just kick back and enjoy the last of your freedom :)

If money is not an issue, I would just kick back and enjoy the last of your freedom :)

This.

If you are accepted, then that means you can stop trying to impress people. I know it is tough, but outside of working I would not do anything except study the inside of your sunglasses. If you like to read, go get a pile of books and read through them because you won't be doing any reading for pleasure in a long long time. In fact, what ever hobby you enjoy, get your fill of it now because you won't have a lot of time for it until next summer.

I know that as an M-0 you are chomping at the bit to see some "real live patients" but please, oh please trust those who have gone before when they tell you to relax and put your feet up.

Cheers and congrats.