What to do after you got accepted to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jedaerrow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
what would you do if you have few months to spend before the d-school starts?
should i study a little bit?
or should i just spend my time focusing on playing/enjoying, having fun as much as i can while i have this time?
what are you guys planning on to do for those of you who already graduated from school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to memorize all of head and neck anatomy hahaha.... Every little bone, every little "process", every little hole, every nerve and it enervates, every blood vessel, EVERYTHING head and neck related.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consult a financial adviser.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am planning to memorize all of head and neck anatomy hahaha.... Every little bone, every little "process", every little hole, every nerve and it enervates, every blood vessel, EVERYTHING head and neck related.

Sadly I was considering the same (even if you were being sarcastic). Along with getting a waxing kit and going over those videos on Chad's site.

What I'll probably do(and it's more than a few months til dental school starts from the date of acceptance, I mean, we're talking Dec-Jan acceptance, school starts the following summer): travel, travel, TRAVEL! If you're like me, and taking the HPSP, you won't have a chance to travel for more than 3 weeks at a time for over 8 years once dental school starts.

Sadly I was considering the same (even if you were being sarcastic). Along with getting a waxing kit and going over those videos on Chad's site.

What I'll probably do(and it's more than a few months til dental school starts from the date of acceptance, I mean, we're talking Dec-Jan acceptance, school starts the following summer): travel, travel, TRAVEL! If you're like me, and taking the HPSP, you won't have a chance to travel for more than 3 weeks at a time for over 8 years once dental school starts.

Travel. You won't have time when you are in dental school/out of dental school.

im not trying to sound rude at all but
JUST ENJOY THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! party your butt off and live life !!

we will have PLENTY of studying to do for the next four years of our lives

Go pick up some girls...

Travel. You won't have time when you are in dental school/out of dental school.

That's what I thought, too. I traveled a lot before school started, and it was great! I didn't think I'd have time to do it in school, but that's not true... they don't give us quarter breaks for nothing!

Before school starts, relax, travel, earn some money, and relax some more!

hey guys
what would you do if you have few months to spend before the d-school starts?
should i study a little bit?
or should i just spend my time focusing on playing/enjoying, having fun as much as i can while i have this time?
what are you guys planning on to do for those of you who already graduated from school?

Have some fun. Exactly what i'm planning to do. Go travel :). I'm traveling this summer (touring Asia).

i would really like to travel, but i am working to make some money to reduce that awesome debt i will be accumulating over the next 4 years.

If you've been accepted... just enjoy yourself. It might be the only time you get to do that until you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would really like to travel, but i am working to make some money to reduce that awesome debt i will be accumulating over the next 4 years.

Yeah, I'm torn between wanting to travel or saving up money to reduce some of that massive debt... :(

Yeah, I'm torn between wanting to travel or saving up money to reduce some of that massive debt... :(

Depends on how much money you'd be earning and how much your debt is going to be overall, I think...good luck!

If you do decide to save up, maybe you can still take a week or two off to do some traveling.

I'm working and trying to save up some money to help service the debt I'm staring down! :oops:

I would say if you have the money, it wont stress you out to spend it, and you want to travel, then travel.

If you are worried that dental school will be so hectic and busy that you will not be able to travel, well, don't travel for that sole purpose.

You will have time to travel on christmas break, summer, etc. Obviously you wouldn't want to travel during school, but you wouldn't want to travel during undergrad semesters either. So being an overwhelmingly busy dental student will not prevent you from traveling.

Also, people always talk about how hard dental school is and how they do nothing but study for dental school. Sure it will take up most of your time, but its not like everyday, all weekend long, no breaks for an entire semester. People actually go out, party, watch movies, play golf, and loads of other things all semster long. They just work hard as well. Ok, that is enough for my little aside.

Reactions: 1 user
how are you guys going to travel?
alone? with friends?
where are you going?
how are you funding it?

I would say if you have the money, it wont stress you out to spend it, and you want to travel, then travel.

If you are worried that dental school will be so hectic and busy that you will not be able to travel, well, don't travel for that sole purpose.

You will have time to travel on christmas break, summer, etc. Obviously you wouldn't want to travel during school, but you wouldn't want to travel during undergrad semesters either. So being an overwhelmingly busy dental student will not prevent you from traveling.

Also, people always talk about how hard dental school is and how they do nothing but study for dental school. Sure it will take up most of your time, but its not like everyday, all weekend long, no breaks for an entire semester. People actually go out, party, watch movies, play golf, and loads of other things all semster long. They just work hard as well. Ok, that is enough for my little aside.

could be. If you care about your class rank and you want to be in the top 10% of the class. I am not exaggerating when I say this, but my sister finished 3rd (or 2nd ~ forgot) in her class and that was.... pretty much her studying style

how are you guys going to travel?
alone? with friends?
where are you going?
how are you funding it?

I'm like a backpacker so I travel cheap. No resort or nothing (maybe one :D) I also have family members in Southeast asia, so I try to stay at their places as much as possible. I'm planning on going to Vietnam, Thailand, and possibly singapore. I may bring my friends. I brought them the last time i went. We ate at food stalls instead of restaurants to save money. Can't beat 1 dollar meal (drink included :D) and i'm talking real food not fast food.
Funding: I work during the break so i save up. I go to school on a tuition scholarship so i do have some extra money from loans and stuffs. My mom is gonna give me some money also for getting in :D.

I'm working and trying to save up some money to help service the debt I'm staring down! :oops:

Good luck making enough money to service your debt during your break cause dental school debt can buy you a house lol. I give up on that prospect and stick to enjoying myself then work like crazy after i graduate.

I'm going to run the autoclave at an OMFS office for 4.5 months.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm like a backpacker so I travel cheap. No resort or nothing (maybe one :D) I also have family members in Southeast asia, so I try to stay at their places as much as possible. I'm planning on going to Vietnam, Thailand, and possibly singapore. I may bring my friends. I brought them the last time i went. We ate at food stalls instead of restaurants to save money. Can't beat 1 dollar meal (drink included :D) and i'm talking real food not fast food.

Woah, me too dude. I'm heading over to SEA for 3 months, just to wander :cool: Got a ticket in and a ticket out, that's it.

I'm working full-time right now to save up, but ever since I got accepted I've been really ready to quit and just go! :laugh:

Smoke crack, because school is out right? ;)

lol kidding kidding.

I'm going to travel.

Oh yeah, where you heading? There are some good deals to Europe and Asia. Just got to get your hands on a good ticket early from the travel agent.
Woah, me too dude. I'm heading over to SEA for 3 months, just to wander :cool: Got a ticket in and a ticket out, that's it.

I'm working full-time right now to save up, but ever since I got accepted I've been really ready to quit and just go! :laugh:

My friend had the idea of traveling without really paying for it... by becoming a staff on a Teen Tour or something... any ideas? any types of similar programs an eligible staff could apply for?

New plans just came up

My brothers been bugging me to visit him in NC... I'll be going there next week to do some hunting (mostly varmint hunting) and long distance target shooting (600+ yards). I'll be there for about a month or so.

Enjoy sanity while you can. dont mem head and neck yet, just enjoy life while you can.

Holy Crap! And youre going to buffalo? hopefully some of that motivation rubs off on me next year

Anybody here holding down a full-time job until school starts? A dead end job, but a job nonetheless... I've been working for a couple years, and my wife is almost finished with grad school, so no traveling yet. We gotta pay bills. Daddy isn't doing so. I wish I could enjoy the time I have before dental school but sadly that will probably be at a minimum. I think I want to talk my wife into letting me quit work a month early and live on savings :)

Anybody here holding down a full-time job until school starts? A dead end job, but a job nonetheless... I've been working for a couple years, and my wife is almost finished with grad school, so no traveling yet. We gotta pay bills. Daddy isn't doing so. I wish I could enjoy the time I have before dental school but sadly that will probably be at a minimum. I think I want to talk my wife into letting me quit work a month early and live on savings :)

I'm planning on quitting my full-time job some time this summer. I already hate my job, but knowing that I'm so close to leaving (and yet, still so, so far -- a few months left), somehow makes it even MORE difficult to go to work every day. I don't think I could stand to work until the start of dental school. I want to enjoy my summer, relax and not feel miserable about being at my crappy job. So I'm gonna quit and live off savings too. Thankfully, I have enough saved up to pay bills and stuff until I start dental school. I don't know if I'll be able to travel, but at least I won't be working. :D

I already hate my job, but knowing that I'm so close to leaving (and yet, still so, so far -- a few months left), somehow makes it even MORE difficult to go to work every day.

Same here. I've started feeling that way ever since I got my acceptance, and it is just getting more and more difficult to go in as time goes on... lol :eek:

Everyday waking up for work is becoming more of a challenge!... Counting the days left for my last month. Then for the summer, getting married, Florida for a week, Mexico for a week, Camping the Rockies for two weeks (some fly fishing during 2-3 day bakpack trips on remote lakes), fishing trip to Northern Wisconsin for one week, then finding a place to live before school starts!

Hope everyone enjoys this summer... Make it the best it can be before our "real" life starts!

Eat love enjoy :laugh:

I'll try to work as much as possible, HPSP fell through for me so I'm going to need all the extra cash I can get. Otherwise I plan to catch up on reading, TV, movies. Generally just laze around for a few months.

I'll try to work as much as possible, HPSP fell through for me so I'm going to need all the extra cash I can get. Otherwise I plan to catch up on reading, TV, movies. Generally just laze around for a few months.

Do something for yourself too! Take even a weekend trip to another state to just relax and take your mind away.. We have plenty of time left in our lives to be grown up and working.:)

simply lemonade and ciroc in a big cup.

and smoke dirty big blunts.

Travel it up and enjoy life man.

1) If you're on the east coast, try Megabus or Boltbus to get from Boston, Philly, NYC, to DC for like $15

2) If you're west or east coast, then try Greyhound's Discovery Pass (7-30 day passes) and go cross country

3) If you want more comfort, try Amtrak's USA pass (15-45 day passes) and go cross country

4) If you're rich, fly to Europe or Asia :smuggrin:

After graduation I'll be headed to visit my dad in NC and I don't really know how long I plan on staying (I'm driving). Hoping to get in some quality beach time, and he works at a golf course/teaches lessons, so maybe I'll throw a few of those in too!

Probably headed down to Knoxville for a couple days, and other than that relaxing pool side in Indiana! Louisville starts July 1, so between graduation on May 15 and July 1 there's not a ton of time.

A friend of mine who is in the Air Force (went right out of High School) just did a Greek Isles cruise, now if I had the $ I'd definitely want to do that!

Just bought my ticket for a music festival in August.. Should be a nice cap off to the summer

I would try and speak to a current D1 and get alot of the notes,old exams and powerpoint lectures you'll be needing. Print them out..go over them a bit and organize everything. Last semester i spent so much damn time printing and organizing documents into duotangs i barely had time to study! O and buy Netter's head and neck anatomy for dentistry book

I also thought about studying but you know what? You're going to get burned out if you do that. Just enjoy your summer because once you're in school, you're going to get so sick of studying...TRUST ME. I basically lived on campus studying my first semester. Thank goodness I decided to travel before school started. So Relax! Go traveling! Watch Harry Potter! DO SOMETHING FUN!!! (Getting a tan wouldn't be a bad idea cause you'll end up un-tanning once school starts ;)

I also thought about studying but you know what? You're going to get burned out if you do that. Just enjoy your summer because once you're in school, you're going to get so sick of studying...TRUST ME. I basically lived on campus studying my first semester. Thank goodness I decided to travel before school started. So Relax! Go traveling! Watch Harry Potter! DO SOMETHING FUN!!! (Getting a tan wouldn't be a bad idea cause you'll end up un-tanning once school starts ;)

I agree..but I'm down for anything that will make my life that much easier once school does start. That includes organizing notes,exams etc..but def room to enjoy summer as well

The answer is travel/vacation. Do not study. You have all of dental school to study, and you WILL forget enough of it that you will have to study it again regardless, so you might as well take use of your most valuable resource, time. You'll learn the material regardless.

I personally saved money during my 4 years of undergrad and did a 'round the world' trip:
Honolulu - NYC (NYU interview) - London - Spain - France - Germany - Austria - Italy - Greece - Turkey - Egypt - Malaysia - Singapore - Thailand - Hong Kong - China - Japan - Honolulu - Dental School
92 days, 8k total cost, some solo some with friends, some staying with fam (Japan/Malaysia).

Also HPSP can still travel during school, you just can't if you're on 'active duty orders' which happens for 6 weeks each year...the rest of the time you do as you please.

For some reason I'm itching to buy a handgun.

Going on a nice long vacation in Asia.
Hanging out with friends and fraternity brothers as much as possible before heading to a different place for four years.

Now that I have paid my deposit for the school that I want to go to....I am trying to relax but its hard...my job ends end of june and I feel like I want to brush up on some stuff before I start classes so I might just get some first year stuff and start studying an hour a day! (That will accumulate to about 90 hours at least before classes start?)

For some reason I'm itching to buy a handgun.

its a fun hobby if you can find a near-by indoor range. There is one about 4 miles away from me... I got there often with my hand guns.... matter of fact, going there today.

if your serious about buying a handgun, buy one where surplus ammo is always available (usually 9mm and 45acp sell cheapest ammo)...because those of us who are into this sport will tell you that the ammo is where the cost is.

PM me if you want more info