What to do before entering medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think a well deserved vacation is in hand. Im thinking Italy or somewhere in Europe. Maybe Amsterdam :smuggrin:

I might have to take a loan out but Im ready to wild out. Anyone else here have any other ideas or plans to do something fun?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
you went to bergen county academies? one of my friends graduated in 03.

No but seriously there is a survey out there that shows that medstudents are severly sex starved, so if you are looking to do something that you might not get to do for along time I would say--rack up on some steamy sex.

No but seriously there is a survey out there that shows that medstudents are severly sex starved, so if you are looking to do something that you might not get to do for along time I would say--rack up on some steamy sex.
Well I have a girlfriend, so that wont be a problem lmao, I just want to travel seeing I probably wouldn't be much of anything else for a while.

I think a well deserved vacation is in hand. Im thinking Italy or somewhere in Europe. Maybe Amsterdam :smuggrin:

I might have to take a loan out but Im ready to wild out. Anyone else here have any other ideas or plans to do something fun?

Amsterdam.

Hold off on the drugs b/c I hear some medschools tox screen (WashU, for ex).

i'm thinking south america...europe=overrated and expensive...ok, maybe not overrated....but def. expensive

whoa that's crazy.

I still contend this was the original purpose of SDN - to help med students get some action.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the OP, I've been thinking about going backpacking through Europe with a couple of friends the summer before I enter med school. It's something I've always wanted to do and that's about the only time I'll get to do it.

really? wow. prior entry or random throughout?

not sure. i remember reading it in a piece of mail correspondence they shipped me.

The THC and Fat conspiracy (THC gives you the munchies, which makes you fat, THC settles in the fat, that gets you busted!)

Interesting. I woulda thought a school like Loma Linda or other school (I foroot which ones) would probably ask for a screen- the ones which dont even serve cafffein on campus,etc. etc. Any other schools you folks heard about who run a drug screen/urine test?

Ideally, I want to the following:

travel (italy or greece, india, or S American (or all)), photograph the world (after pimpin my camerca), cook, excercise, dance, kickox, spend time with family/friends, make some $ to pay of future loans....and just have tons of fun!!!! :)

I wonder how much in loans I should take out for this. Anyone have any figures or traveled already that can give a good estimation?

currently planning to go here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6218210.stm

maybe stay in Europe a few days. and i've been thinking about taking a class or two there to brush up my foreign language skillz, nothing formal. i just hope the political situation remains at status quo, then everything should be cool :D

umm....yeaa. id visit if it werent for the 40+ deaths everyday from car bombers. Its a shame what the US did to that country, the history there is amazing.

Hitchhiking in Europe would be awesome. The train to go around Europe is only 400 Euros, which is about $800 US. Definitely do it if you can.:thumbup:

do italia- studied for a semester there. sweet place. can't go wrong w/ europe. also consider the land down under- australia/new zealand

I wonder how much in loans I should take out for this. Anyone have any figures or traveled already that can give a good estimation?

How much money you need depends a) where you are going b) how experienced a traveler you are c) what your standards are.

I could get by with very little money through Central / South America because it's awesome and there's some deals to be had. You also get a lot more bang for your buck. Even *nice* hotels are never more than $20/night (great if you're traveling w. a gf...but now I don't have one)

Europe - also depends. But generally it's a lot more pricey. Easiest way is to get a Lonely Planet and check out the locations (rough prices) and estimate for food/transport/booze/random things that you might do.

Traveling is great :) They key is to get just the right mix of minimal planning ahead and maximum flexibility so you can do random things...like hop on a bus and go somewhere unplanned.

For some really really strange reason, I've always wanted to go to Russia during the winter and play spy. I think Bourne Identity helped mold that desire lmao. If I go anywhere in Europe, it'll honestly be either Italy or Amsterdam. My girlfriend is Italian and she might have some relatives who might even let us stay at their place so we'll have to see. I also really want to go to London and Paris too and check out the museums, and damnit, I just want to go everywhere....

I'm applying this coming cycle, & i've traveled a lot, skydived a few times, etc. So i've decided to get LASIK, as a treat since ive been pretty blind my whole life. I figure over holiday break would be best, before i spend any more money on prereqs (in case i go blind)...LOL.

But seriously, i'd encourage you (pressing knife to lumbar region) to TRAVEL! It's hard while in any type of school, & once graduated you'll be career focused, & once you get older it's family/marriage. It becomes near impossible, especially if you want to pick where you want to go (NOT disneyworld). So while you can do Paris or somewhere typical, you can do that as a honeymoon or something with family/"wifey". I'd suggest something spectacular like roadtrip to Alaska, mountains of Chile, Galapagos islands! And i'm not talking about taking a cruise/staying at the Hilton. NO Club Meds! I saying GET DIRTY! Meet locals, find hostels, eat weird stuff.

Plus, i think traveling is the best educational experience one can have. Learning about other cultures, and just other peoples lives. We dont know everything, and we sure as **** don't have EVERYTHING right here in the U.S. Go taste some of the world! (not meant as a sexual reference ;-)

KATiE

For some really really strange reason, I've always wanted to go to Russia during the winter and play spy. I think Bourne Identity helped mold that desire lmao. If I go anywhere in Europe, it'll honestly be either Italy or Amsterdam. My girlfriend is Italian and she might have some relatives who might even let us stay at their place so we'll have to see. I also really want to go to London and Paris too and check out the museums, and damnit, I just want to go everywhere....

Bah. London, Paris, Amsterdam?

Expensive tourist infested traps. But still cool places.

Although theres certainly nothing wrong with having a taste of the world ;) Don't tell my girlfriend. Why dont you just get contacts? I have the ones where you can keep them on for a long period of time, sleep with them on, have em on for weeks at a tmie and honestly I forget that I have them on sometimes. Its less invasive than Lasik and isnt much of a lifestyle change to begin with.

Where have you been Katie? Im still on limbo about where to go. The worst part is just being lazy and getting my ass up to actually figure out the costs, file for a loan, look for flights, places to stay, things to do. Thinking about all that planning even makes me tired.

Touristy as it may be, I have friends in the area who will show me around and hopefully give me a tour of the places you don't see as a tourist. I was thinking of a cruise too, but I cant imagine myself having too much fun after a day.

My boyfriend and I are going to Itlay for 2 weeks this summer. I'm so excited!!

Where are you going in Italy? My gf is from a small village there, and her other half of the family is from Sicily. Might go and pay a visit to the old country. Then hit up Rome and Venice. Any of you guys know if they have KFC in Italy? I want to be crass and hit up all the American food places, cause I'm a rebel like that.

too funny braluk!

I have needed glasses my whole life, started wearing contacts at age 12. But never could wear extended, guess it's just not my eyeballs' thing. I love that word "eyeball"...i always feel like i'm missing out, like my whole life i've said..."oh wait, let me put my glasses on" or "damn it, something's in my contact"...LOL. Actually, i'm going to start a thread, just for poo & giggles. Thanks for inspiration, or whatever that sound was...

But anyways, what you were saying about "knowing someone" to show you around. That is THE number one way to do it. I went to Spain this past feb.. Not that it was my first choice, but because i had a friend who lived there for 3 years, and she was moving. SO i bought a ticket the following week, and visited for about 2 weeks. I'll tell you, it's been the BEST food experience i've had, and they DEFINITELY LOVE blonde girls! There was a man chasing me down the street saying "Arubia, arubia" (or something like that) which means "blonde" ~ ANyone feel free to correct me, my spanish is not well. It was weird to walk through a club and have people tug your hair...LOL. There was not much mingling in the hair color gene pool there, VERY interesting...

Denmark is BEAUTIFUL as well. Someone mentioned amsterdam, and there is a "free state" of Christiania within the city of Copenhagen where pot is legal in many forms, it's an interesting area.

KATiE

PS> if you are a soda drinker, i'd recommend you try coke's & pepsi's in other countries, it's interesting to see how each country's taste is (FYI: Turkey's coca cola is nasty)

Just watch out for the polonium-210! :D

To reduce costs of Europe trips, I'd travel to UK first, then get on the ridiculously cheap intra-european flights. It saves so much money, and you can see so much more.
There are a lot of hostels also that are outside of the big towns. Which is nice because you get to see the non-tourist infected parts (the real parts, imo), save money, nicer people, and u can get into the big city and do what you wish easily.

Edit: in regards to the thread, i want to teach mcat course for princeton review.
anyone know how much the pay is? (CDN)

Get to know my baby so he can look back fondly and say, "I think I had a mommy once...she was the one with the boobs, right?"

I'm going to do an internship in Germany with the German Red Cross ambulance service and then top it off by wandering around the country until I've tried every beer there is to try.

Where are you going in Italy? My gf is from a small village there, and her other half of the family is from Sicily. Might go and pay a visit to the old country. Then hit up Rome and Venice. Any of you guys know if they have KFC in Italy? I want to be crass and hit up all the American food places, cause I'm a rebel like that.

Where is her family from? I have tons of family in a little town in Italy as well. I went to Italy this past summer for the 2nd time, first time hitting all the major spots, and this time seeing the tiny towns as well. I highly recommend doing that if she has family there, its such an awesome culture.

South America? I'd rather not get Malaria before med school...

Anyway, I will probably go to France and Poland then Florida for a bit of a vacation. My girlfriend is Polish and she wants to go, and I can speak French (at some level at least). Florida will be Marco Island, because they have a condo down there.

What? Nooooo!!!!! That’s it I am going to be a waitress!

South America? I'd rather not get Malaria before med school...

Anyway, I will probably go to France and Poland then Florida for a bit of a vacation. My girlfriend is Polish and she wants to go, and I can speak French (at some level at least). Florida will be Marco Island, because they have a condo down there.

If you're going to be in malarial zones, that's what anti-malarials are for :rolleyes:

too bad theres no anti polonials 210s =/

Thanks for the tip. I always hear about how cheap it is to bounce already europe on a flight so I might go with the UK idea and fly over to barcelona and hop around.

too bad theres no anti polonials 210s =/

Thanks for the tip. I always hear about how cheap it is to bounce already europe on a flight so I might go with the UK idea and fly over to barcelona and hop around.

Hey...anyone have any ideas for ppl that still have rent to pay till the end of July, have no money, but might be interested in taking a trip? I guess South America would be cheapest for me, since I'm in Miami, but I'd rather see Thailand...

On my list so far:

Definites - Sky Dive, new tattoo

Maybes - Ireland trip, California surf trip