What to do before starting Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slinkeyooo

sleeper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is gonna be doing before starting med school? VACATIONS? Pre reading anatomy books lol... working... . Also does anybody know if there is anything we have to do? shots, and so forth....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going on a week vacation, and then I'm quitting my lab job to go work by the ocean at an inn. Making money, but also relaxing.

Just wondering what everyone is gonna be doing before starting med school? VACATIONS? Pre reading anatomy books lol... working... . Also does anybody know if there is anything we have to do? shots, and so forth....

I graduate in December (next month) and assuming I get in (confidence level: high), I will be hitting the X-Box 360 up big time

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduate in December (next month) and assuming I get in (confidence level: high), I will be hitting the X-Box 360 up big time

I second the Xbox 360 with Gears of War coming out this Tuesday.

I will be working until May 2007.

From May 1 to Jun 1: Spend time with friends and family. Relax.

Jun 2-July 1: I really want to travel for a month with my girlfriend. I am thinking Italy for a week, France for a week, Greece for a few days, misc areas in europe via the Eurostar.

July 1-Aug1: Move down to school, look for housing, settle in.

Ah and nerdiness reverts back to its original form...

the way it was prior to the premed gunner years...:laugh:

Geekness/Nerdiness is always prevalent.......

sidenote...always kind of crazy to see someone else in state college:p

Personally, I'd be doing anything but reading anatomy textbooks or anything else medically related unless I was getting paid to do it. You know what sounds like a good way to spend that summer? Trying to destabilize a small African nation and plunge it into civil war....just your attempts to get out of the country after the **** hits the fan would be something worth writing home about.... :smuggrin:

Personally, I'd be doing anything but reading anatomy textbooks or anything else medically related unless I was getting paid to do it. You know what sounds like a good way to spend that summer? Trying to destabilize a small African nation and plunge it into civil war....just your attempts to get out of the country after the **** hits the fan would be something worth writing home about.... :smuggrin:

That consists of throwing a snickers from an airplane as you fly over the continent.......what do you do after that?

Quit my job in June or July. Take vacation and come back a week before the school starts.

That consists of throwing a snickers from an airplane as you fly over the continent.......what do you do after that?
Engage in the aerial spraying of Pepsi? :laugh:

I am going to get married and take a couple vacations. One will be when I graduate from undergrade and the other will be a cruise for my honeymoon. Other then that I am going to get a low stress job and read a bunch of books I have been dying to read. I will also be moving/buying a house. I guess it will be a busy couple of months. There will be NO studying the whole summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be working 17 jobs to pay off all my credit card debt....
:(

I going to get back in shape!!....after two years of sitting and studying for mcats...and a whole summer of sitting, worrying, and waiting for applications, I will finally have my motivation back for running, working out, and eating healthy...for the last two years I've had the "whatever" attitude about everything else not related to classes, mcats, and medical school....I figure I will start back up with the one mile run...work my way up to two...and so on....I need to get back to how I was my freshman/sophomore year...it will be great! Then I start Medical school in the best shape and hopefully keep a good discipline with med school and not lose the focus...wish me luck...

I going to get back in shape!!....after two years of sitting and studying for mcats...and a whole summer of sitting, worrying, and waiting for applications, I will finally have my motivation back for running, working out, and eating healthy...for the last two years I've had the "whatever" attitude about everything else not related to classes, mcats, and medical school....I figure I will start back up with the one mile run...work my way up to two...and so on....I need to get back to how I was my freshman/sophomore year...it will be great! Then I start Medical school in the best shape and hopefully keep a good discipline with med school and not lose the focus...wish me luck...

:thumbup: Im gonna do the same thing, time get get jacked again for OMM lab:D

:thumbup: Im gonna do the same thing, time get get jacked again for OMM lab:D

Haha I was just thinking that...esp since you wear bikini tops to lab (i'm a girl:) )...def need to be in shape... :cool:

Haha I was just thinking that...esp since you wear bikini tops to lab (i'm a girl:) )...def need to be in shape... :cool:

wait..u joking about the bikini tops right....do the guys have to wear speedos...hmm...:laugh:

yea, i do believe the dress is sports bra, but I am certainly planning on a bright red speedo for the first day:cool:

Okay forget DO school then. It's MD or else PA school for me!! :laugh:

I'm just claiming it's against my religion to wear a Speedo. :smuggrin:

At CCOM girls are not required to wear sports bras. T-shirts are fine. Several girls asked this at the interview.
Marcia

At CCOM girls are not required to wear sports bras. T-shirts are fine. Several girls asked this at the interview.
Marcia

Wait WHATTTT?? Some schools require girls to wear ONLY a bikini top or a sports bra during the practice of OMM? Like no t-shirts on overtop???? Or am I misreading this

Wait WHATTTT?? Some schools require girls to wear ONLY a bikini top or a sports bra during the practice of OMM? Like no t-shirts on overtop???? Or am I misreading this

No that is true. Some schools require girls to wear sports bras for OMM.

DCOM is not one of those BTW.

Marcia

No that is true. Some schools require girls to wear sports bras for OMM.

DCOM is not one of those BTW.

Marcia

With no shirt on over top? How does that work out for the larger people? Well I gotta go and do 3000 situps.

With no shirt on over top? How does that work out for the larger people? Well I gotta go and do 3000 situps.
If you can do 3,000 situps, I'd be really impressed! I'm in pretty good shape and I can only do 108 (in 2 minutes). :laugh:

I always assumed it was sports bras but my friend says they actually wear bikini tops ...since in sports bras there are certain things that are more closed off than in bikini tops...I guess it depends on the school.

I always assumed it was sports bras but my friend says they actually wear bikini tops ...since in sports bras there are certain things that are more closed off than in bikini tops...I guess it depends on the school.

bikini tops are less closed off than sports bras for this? Do they really need your chest to be hanging out to do OMM? Man guys must love this class.

bikini tops are less closed off than sports bras for this? Do they really need your chest to be hanging out to do OMM? Man guys must love this class.

Tell me about it! So - let's hear which schools require this, please??

no it's your back they want open. so you can even wear a button down shirt backwards and then open it in the back...

no it's your back they want open. so you can even wear a button down shirt backwards and then open it in the back...

Then why couldn't you wear a bra instead of a bikini top? They're the same in the back.

Then why couldn't you wear a bra instead of a bikini top? They're the same in the back.

My question is...why do they only need to see the women's backs? Guys do not have to wear small tops or bras, or bikinis??????

Marcia

My question is...why do they only need to see the women's backs? Guys do not have to wear small tops or bras, or bikinis??????

Marcia

Exactly, lets make everything equal and get rid of the bra requirement all together!:smuggrin:

J/K:laugh:

Exactly, lets make everything equal and get rid of the bra requirement all together!:smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just spit my drink all over my moniter. And that just means I have been on here way to much today!

Marcia

Hahaha....I have a feeling many more pre-meds would consider osteopathic education! I don't get why guys and girls can't just wear loose t-shirts and pull them up.

ps. there was a thread about this about two months ago listing schools and their policy on this. Im gonna try to find it.

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

detail093112.jsp

look at the second picture!

I suppose I should start working out, if there are going to be lots of women in sports bras, I better look good without a shirt... you know.. to keep in stride.

UNE: I have never taken my shirt off for anyone. And i'm a girl. A very curvy girl with a large chest. It's never even been asked... t-shirt is fine. Occassionally you may be wanting to look at someone's back, but you just pull the shirt up. For live anatomy when doing TAPP you'll be drawing on each other... if I had known i would have bought a skin-tight t-shirt and brought fabric markers. And then worn the shirt to the exam. :)

Many folks wear 'wife-beaters' (HOW did they get that name??) and shorts or yoga pants.

I suppose I should start working out, if there are going to be lots of women in sports bras, I better look good without a shirt... you know.. to keep in stride.

That's why I started weight lifting about a year and a half ago. By the time I get there next year, I will be about 2.5 years into it. I should be looking very fit by then. :cool:

That's why I started weight lifting about a year and a half ago. By the time I get there next year, I will be about 2.5 years into it. I should be looking very fit by then. :cool:

You started weightlifting b/c you knew that 2.5 years later you'd be in med school? That's very advanced and well planned out.

You started weightlifting b/c you knew that 2.5 years later you'd be in med school? That's very advanced and well planned out.

I've been planning to go to med school for many years now. The only thing not certain, as with everyone, is whether or not I would get in. The weight lifting was more of an after thought.

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

detail093112.jsp

look at the second picture!

Gotta wonder what the wife will think of this???;)

I guess all is fair in medical education...and yes, that last picture was great :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: