What to do between MS-1 and MS-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's summer time and I just finished my first yr of med school. Right now, Im participating in research. Now that I have a lot of free time, I'm thinking of picking up a book. Its just to review some lectures from the first yr.

What exactly did people do after their first yr?

research?
study? if so how long and what?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

6ft3dr2b said:
It's summer time and I just finished my first yr of med school. Right now, Im participating in research. Now that I have a lot of free time, I'm thinking of picking up a book. Its just to review some lectures from the first yr.

research?

Thanks,

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Do a search, and you'll see that I agree with the overwhelming majority...

DO NOTHING RELATED TO MEDICINE for it is the last free summer you are going to have ever! Use the 2-3 months to do things outside of the medicine realm, b/c as searly as MSIII year, you may be thinking, "Man, I wish I had like 3 months with just nothing to do, and I could do whatever I want".

You will be thinking medicine practically every single day for a long, long, paingul, agonizingly long and draining time. You are making a mistake by picking up a book to review first year. First year is uselsss. You'd be surprised how low yield first year is for clinicals. Clinicals is all path, pharm, micro, and clinical diagnosis...all of which are mainly taken in 2nd year. Please for the love of all that is holy in this world, and for all us saps, who have crossed the point of no return...ENJOY YOUR VACATION LIKE A PARTY ANIMAL!!

excalibur said:
This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Do a search, and you'll see that I agree with the overwhelming majority...

DO NOTHING RELATED TO MEDICINE for it is the last free summer you are going to have ever! Use the 2-3 months to do things outside of the medicine realm, b/c as searly as MSIII year, you may be thinking, "Man, I wish I had like 3 months with just nothing to do, and I could do whatever I want".

You will be thinking medicine practically every single day for a long, long, paingul, agonizingly long and draining time. You are making a mistake by picking up a book to review first year. First year is uselsss. You'd be surprised how low yield first year is for clinicals. Clinicals is all path, pharm, micro, and clinical diagnosis...all of which are mainly taken in 2nd year. Please for the love of all that is holy in this world, and for all us saps, who have crossed the point of no return...ENJOY YOUR VACATION LIKE A PARTY ANIMAL!!

I second that, the part about doing nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
6ft3dr2b said:

research?

Thanks,

Hey there,
Don't bother reviewing lectures from first year. They are pretty low yield. Do your research and enjoy yourself. As stated in other threads on here, enjoy this summer because it is the last that you really can get away and enjoy yourself. Next summer you will be using part of the summer to study for boards and the rest to get ready for third year.

njbmd :)

6ft3dr2b said:

research?

Thanks,

Aty the VERY most, try doing some research in whatever field you're thinking of, since you don't get a whole lot of opps after this.