What to do between now and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpie1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any ideas? any reading? any fun things?

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy yourself.

Read a bit. Rest up. Read a primer on anything you're particularly freaked out about (which is often everything). Get your ducks in a row (buy the books you want to have as a reference, etc).

this is the longest period you will have off for a long time - make the most of it -do some traveling, explore the world, reconnect with old friends, do something else apart from medicine. med school will hopefully have prepared you a bit for internship and you will learn most of it on the job anyway. also do some light reading - novels, plays, poetry whatever - you will learn much more about psychiatry and the human condition here than from any textbook and you actually have the time! and learn something new, e.g. cooking, scubadiving, photography, filmmaking, mixology etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is the longest period you will have off for a long time - make the most of it -do some traveling, explore the world, reconnect with old friends, do something else apart from medicine. med school will hopefully have prepared you a bit for internship and you will learn most of it on the job anyway. also do some light reading - novels, plays, poetry whatever - you will learn much more about psychiatry and the human condition here than from any textbook and you actually have the time! and learn something new, e.g. cooking, scubadiving, photography, filmmaking, mixology etc.
I second all of Splik's ideas. Enjoy yourself, and take a great vacation, if you can.

Absolutely do not do any medicine/psychiatry-related reading. You will learn more in your first two weeks of medicine internship than you could learn in two months of reading.

Am I the only one who doesn't have time off? All this taking a long vacation talk sounds great, but unfortunately some of us have rotations. I envy those who do not.

Am I the only one who doesn't have time off? All this taking a long vacation talk sounds great, but unfortunately some of us have rotations. I envy those who do not.

A lot of people schedule more...laid back rotations for around this time. My roommates who are both 4th years are doing things like preventative medicine and out pt family medicine.

I do notice a difference in the interns who have a more rigorous 4th year; they might complete step 3 sooner, and seem more confident during their time in medicine. But does it make any difference? I have no idea

Well I do have some easy rotations, but there's a big difference between easy rotations and a couple months of vacation.I wish I had the latter.

Drink beer. Eat well-prepared food. Go for long runs. Watch sunsets. Get laid. Read good books. Talk to old friends. See good movies. Visit places you've never been. Revisit favorite places you have. Call your mother and listen to her. Spend time with your pet, or if you don't have one, spend time with someone else's. Start a hobby you've always wanted to. Do something uncomfortable if not dangerous. Pick a partner, spouse, best friend and be a proactive participant in their life instead of them in your own for a change.

Don't sweat prepping for the work thing. Your intern class will be made up of people from all sorts of different places, so they ramp up assuming you all know little-to-nothing. You'll have four years to become yet another dull psychiatrist. Do the life thing for a short while. It's lovely.

Drink beer. Eat well-prepared food. Go for long runs. Watch sunsets. Get laid. Read good books. Talk to old friends. See good movies. Visit places you've never been. Revisit favorite places you have. Call your mother and listen to her. Spend time with your pet, or if you don't have one, spend time with someone else's. Start a hobby you've always wanted to. Do something uncomfortable if not dangerous. Pick a partner, spouse, best friend and be a proactive participant in their life instead of them in your own for a change.

Don't sweat prepping for the work thing. Your intern class will be made up of people from all sorts of different places, so they ramp up assuming you all know little-to-nothing. You'll have four years to become yet another dull psychiatrist. Do the life thing for a short while. It's lovely.

Sounds like a bucket list.

It's intern year, people. Not death :D

It's intern year, people. Not death :D

Correction-intern year of psych = even better!

Most of our intern years will not be nearly as grueling as some. I have friends at more competitive im/surgery programs who held on for deal life the whole way through being forced into breaking the rules consistently. I highly doubt most of us will be able to claim that.

See good movies.

This should not be a problem. Let's see...coming up, we have:

The Hunger Games
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfmrPu43DF8[/YOUTUBE]

The Cabin in the Woods
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENUBUdFswM[/YOUTUBE]

The Avengers
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR8Ar-Z4hw[/YOUTUBE]

Prometheus
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU[/YOUTUBE]

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34x6m-ahGIo[/YOUTUBE]

Spiderman
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCfTRMyjGU[/YOUTUBE]

Dark Knight Rises
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yh6SriAjdE[/YOUTUBE]

All by mid-July. This is going to freaking rule. Not one, but TWO Joss Whedon movies! Plus, the Hunger Games. Eeeeeek!!! Probably the best spring-summer movie season in history.

Last edited:
This should not be a problem. Let's see...coming up, we have:
...All by early July. This is going to freaking rule. Not one, but TWO Joss Whedon movies! Plus, the Hunger Games. Eeeeeek!!! Probably the best spring-summer movie season in history.

Love Joss. And recognize Hawkeye from Avengers? Hint -- Angel, Season1.

Uh-oh. If it sounds like a bucket list, you may have been successfully indoctrinated by the medical community. ;-)

For most of the general public, these are just some of the ADLs of a well-rounded life...

Last edited:
Uh-oh. If it sounds like a bucket list, you may have been successfully indoctrinated by the medical community.

For most of the general public, these are just some of the ADLs of a well-rounded life...

:laugh:.....why is this soooo true? smh....

Does anybody else notice that "8-6" is becoming the new "9-5"? Just look at your major metropolitan area highways....it gets wreckless even at 730am these days and stays clogged up wayyyyy past 630pm...IJS

Despite the work hour restrictions and oncoming lifestyle generations, medicine probably will continue to lead the American way.

if mathematical probability graces me with a position, i will be travelling to india, new orleans and possible england before starting. :)

i will also be playing a ton of nba jam on ps3 and finishing red dead redemption.

Nitemagi, a fan of the buffyverse huh? would your screen name also allude to a fondness of the final fantasy universe?

oh and if anyone is visiting philly, first round of yuengling lager is on me :)