What to do during 1 year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimkim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys!
I just graduated my undergraduate college, and I am applying to MD schools this summer. This means that there will be a 1 year break between my undergraduate education and medical school.

What are the best activities to do during this one year? (I have solid stats already.)
I am planning on shadowing a physician and keep volunteering in hospitals. But what else?

I guess some of the options could be do research, get a job, etc. But I can't do everything so I must choose. I was planning on somehow getting a clinically-related job and not do any more research. However, some people said I must do research during this one year because medical schools like research more. Is this true? (By the way, I already have one and a half year of research experience during my undergraduate. No publications, however.)

Do you think doing research is better than getting a job?
(If I want to do research, I must find a new lab. I can't go back to the lab I worked during my undergraduate because it is geographically very far away from where I stay right now.)
Also, what do you think about me taking a phlebotomy course during this year off?

I really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying now and will have a year off as well. I completed an alternate pathway and received my teaching license. I just got hired yesterday as a high school science teacher. It will be decent pay and a secure job if I don't make it into med school this cycle.

Hi, guys!
I just graduated my undergraduate college, and I am applying to MD schools this summer. This means that there will be a 1 year break between my undergraduate education and medical school.

What are the best activities to do during this one year? (I have solid stats already.)
I am planning on shadowing a physician and keep volunteering in hospitals. But what else?

I guess some of the options could be do research, get a job, etc. But I can't do everything so I must choose. I was planning on somehow getting a clinically-related job and not do any more research. However, some people said I must do research during this one year because medical schools like research more. Is this true? (By the way, I already have one and a half year of research experience during my undergraduate. No publications, however.)

Do you think doing research is better than getting a job?
(If I want to do research, I must find a new lab. I can't go back to the lab I worked during my undergraduate because it is geographically very far away from where I stay right now.)
Also, what do you think about me taking a phlebotomy course during this year off?

I really appreciate your help.

Try to do things that you like. Research/study abroad comes to mind. You could get the experience of traveling and having fun with research, which dually pads up the resume.

Now, if I just wanted to earn some money and clinical experience before medical school, get a job at the hospital- phlebotomy/ekg/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't get in, I'm planning on working as a psychiatric aide.

I travelled and taught. Teaching is a big one because if you have solid stats, you're probably a smart cookie who will be able to give that knowledge back. I taught undergraduate math, and it was great to see what classes look like from the front of the room; definitely gave me some insight into the dynamics of a university class.

And traveling is just fun; I saw a bunch of old friends. I'd definitely recommend you take some significant vacations.

If I don't get in, then I have a lot of things planned.

One of the reason's I majored in biology is so that I could either research or teach high school students.

I definitely would like to do some graduate research in Ecology, especially aquatic research.

Do what you want, ie don't work in a lab just for the application. Find a cool internship that you enjoy or a job you like.

Also I'd make a list of all the things that you've always wanted to do. Not that this is your "last chance" but it will be a year when you will have the most flexibility to try things you've always wanted to do.

I made a "man plan" of all that things that I felt had missed out on in college: Shoot a handgun, use a chain saw, learn to drive stick, learn to play guitar, drive an ambulance, get digits from a waitress etc (it was a good year.)

Make your own list and get going.

Don't do research just because every other single doctor wannabe is doing the same exact thing. Really just do something you like. If it makes you stand out thats cool but as long as its something you're passionate about people will respect that. If you like research go for it but don't do it just for med school because everyone does that and the med school committees don't care at that point. If I get rejected for med school I'm going to be a volunteer fireman because that's something I've wanted to do for three years but have never had the time. Who cares if its not medical school related i'm positive this will stand out more than anything research related (for most of the schools) even though its something I really want to do and would do even if I'm not applying to medical school.