Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What to Do During an Anesthesia Rotation?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by dentalman, May 7, 2007.

1. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member

What does everyone do during and anesthesia rotation for pedo? For those who have gone through it, on the resident side or the the anesthesiologist side, what are some tips? I want to not overstep my bounds, but still want to learn. Do you just watch, and only do things if the anesthesiologist asks you, or do you ask to intubate or place IVs? I learned proper dinner etiquette while growing up, but not anesthesia rotation etiquette.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine

Dentist
    I'm in my 2nd week of anesthesia now.

I'm sure the people you will rotate with in the anesthesia department have had dental residents before. They'll probably know what to let you do. I guess it depends on your hospital. What have the 2nd years had to say about it?

For mine, I was masking and intubating from the very first patient, day 1. It's definitely not a good feeling when u can hear the O2 sats dropping as you struggle to find the trachea, but that's really the only way to learn. Someone can explain it to you all day, but until you get in it's not the same. At this point, I'm expected to set up for every case (pull all meds, get blades, masks, set up lines, etc), mask them and induce once they come in and intubate. I'm still learning maintenance, but eventually the dental residents here run cases independently under the eye of a CRNA or anesth. for the entire case.

My main priority in anesthesia is airway management including intubation. That is what I will need in practice should I choose to sedate w/ CH, etc. It's nice learning to induce w/ sevo and handle the rest but that stuff we'll never use again.

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Sounds like a phenomenal education!

5. setdoc7

Dentist

Dentist
    What didactic preparation do you have prior to the rotation. Are you required to read any special parts of the anesthesia texts? Was curious what your pre potation prep was like?

6. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine

Dentist
    Normally, we will get 3 total hours of lectures from staff in anesthesiology detailing stages of sedation, drug profiles, methods of induction/maint., etc before we start our rotation. Then, once we are down there, the CRNA teaches us about the setup and maintaining the airway. They are by our side to walk us through everything. Most of our clinical learning is via a crna but some days like today the MD from anesth who is covering the case will give some pointers.

7. scalpel2008

scalpel2008 beep beep beep...smash

Resident [Any Field]
    prior to our children's anesthesia rotation, the anesthesia department gives us this complimentary textbook, which provides just the right amount of detail and information for someone rotating through their service. However you do still need a regular anesthesia text an an adjunct for the basics of anesthesia such as the workings of the machines, circuits, and pharmacology.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780323022163&itm=1

8. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine

Dentist
    All I got was some k-y jelly and a helping of humble pie.

9. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member

Thanks for the responses.

10. setdoc7

Dentist

Dentist
    If there is an anesthesia residency at your facility, are you required to attend lectures for that service, and what about call...are you required to do anesthesia call?

11. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine

Dentist
    No for both.

12. BlueToothHunter

I did something similar to this while I was working as a dental officer in Aussie... The anesthetists love the dentists coming over to induce and intubate their patients! It was part of my training for conscious sedation course. Once we had basic lectures, then we spent a day at an electronic simulation lab where the dummies crashed in a private dental office setting. There was some role playing but the rest of your classmates were sitting behind a mirror-glass looking on to you. It felt like the real thing!

After that week, we went to the OR and interacted with real patients! You begin to understand how important the airway management is and also appreciate the pharms used...