Quantcast

What to do during gap year (as a Canadian studying in USA)

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazykoala

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian studying in US right now and I have to figure out what to do during my gap year real soon. I was thinking about working at NIH or any research facility but it seems after some web browsing that it's probably hard to find a scientist/lab technician job as an international with only a bachelor's degree. So my question is is there anything worthwhile for an international student to do in US after graduation? I would really prefer a research assistant position since my research experience is not too good but where do I look for one? Or should I just go back to Canada and find a job/earn master's degree there? Thanks.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're a canadian student that's applying to an U.S. school?

When I apply I will also be doing a gap, my only advice is to find a decent job and make as much money as possible. Unless you're super rich, you're going to be living off loans for the next four years, so it will help a little to save up for food and rent payments lol.