What to do during gap year (as a Canadian studying in USA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazykoala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian studying in US right now and I have to figure out what to do during my gap year real soon. I was thinking about working at NIH or any research facility but it seems after some web browsing that it's probably hard to find a scientist/lab technician job as an international with only a bachelor's degree. So my question is is there anything worthwhile for an international student to do in US after graduation? I would really prefer a research assistant position since my research experience is not too good but where do I look for one? Or should I just go back to Canada and find a job/earn master's degree there? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're a canadian student that's applying to an U.S. school?

When I apply I will also be doing a gap, my only advice is to find a decent job and make as much money as possible. Unless you're super rich, you're going to be living off loans for the next four years, so it will help a little to save up for food and rent payments lol.