What to do during MCAT summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee0208

Reaction score
Hello! First post here -

I am a current sophomore planning to take the MCAT in early August. My primary responsibility will be studying for the MCAT, but I also want to keep up with my extracurricular activities. Which activities should I prioritize?

My options are 1) Paid research in a (continuing) lab for 6-9 flexible hours a week 2) volunteer 4-6 hours a week at local hospital 3) shadow 2 hours a week

For context, I have a decent amount of research hours and presentations but not publications, a bit of hospital volunteer experience but plenty of community service, and not much shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! First post here -

I am a current sophomore planning to take the MCAT in early August. My primary responsibility will be studying for the MCAT, but I also want to keep up with my extracurricular activities. Which activities should I prioritize?

My options are 1) Paid research in a (continuing) lab for 6-9 flexible hours a week 2) volunteer 4-6 hours a week at local hospital 3) shadow 2 hours a week

For context, I have a decent amount of research hours and presentations but not publications, a bit of hospital volunteer experience but plenty of community service, and not much shadowing experience.

This really depends on your goals for medical school. Do you want to go to a top 10 research school? What is your goal MCAT score?

Hello! First post here -

If the hospital volunteering counts as clinical experience do that. Research is good to have but clinical experience is more valuable. Are you studying for 12 weeks? That's going to be a tight schedule.