What to do during the time before medical school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the adage is to relax as much as you can and go on vacations but I've run out of things to do to keep my mind moving before I start in August. I'm just itching to get going on it. Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I know the adage is to relax as much as you can and go on vacations but I've run out of things to do to keep my mind moving before I start in August. I'm just itching to get going on it. Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

I'm struggling with this as well haha. Luckily (kind of) I have this last semester to keep me preoccupied between now and May. From graduation until mid July (when I'm moving to KC) I'm looking to either do research if I can find it or a combination of working around my parents house and farm and doing nothing!

If you want a good show to binge watch on Netflix try Rules of Engagement. Started watching it last night and I'm hooked it's hilarious.

I'm honestly just working and working but I'm ready to get moving. I've watched several shows, read the books suggested here, and even am gonna build a bar for my place in Des Moines. But it's just getting real old

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm honestly just working and working but I'm ready to get moving. I've watched several shows, read the books suggested here, and even am gonna build a bar for my place in Des Moines. But it's just getting real old

Guess it's never too early to get used to the phrase hurry up and wait! Are you from around DMU or making the move this summer?

Making the move in July or so. From Chicago originally hence the cubs logo haha

Start/continue working out, learn how to cook cheap and easy meals, run a marathon, learn Spanish, learn how to play piano. All things I want to do but we'll see if I actually get around to it haha

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone always told me to do nothing, so I followed their advice. Best piece of advice I have ever gotten. When I'm tired and can't Med school no more, I look fondly back on those days and the fact that I didn't waste a second of laziness.

Reactions: 7 users
What I'm doing is still my old jobs before cycle starts. I'll make decent saving out of this.
Other than that, I enjoy my time off before med school, play all the games that I want to before school start, and learn to play ukulele to relax my mind.
Also planning to travel 1 month before moving to Dothan.

Work hard for a bit, quit your job as early as possible, then be as lazy as possible. Seriously don't do anything at all to prep for school.

I'm not saying prep. I'm not touching a textbook. I'm just looking for literally any other ideas besides the generic. I've been traveling (not far unfortunately) and working and reading just looking for more ideas

You're going to read this thread in 9 months and wish you had cherished the time off even more. Really, learning to make quick meals for a week at a time is a good, perhaps enjoyable thing to figure out.

This may legitimately be your longest time of freedom for the next 4-10 years.....
I'm not saying prep. I'm not touching a textbook. I'm just looking for literally any other ideas besides the generic. I've been traveling (not far unfortunately) and working and reading just looking for more ideas

Just do whatever you consider fun. That seems obvious but in med school you're going to have only a few hours or so every week to enjoy your hobbies.

Learning to cook and continuing to read are good things since they kinda prepare you for things you'll do.

Reactions: 1 users