What to do for 6 weeks before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be going on a trip in early June, which will leave me 6 weeks to just hang around the house and get myself ready to go to med school. I want to get at least a part-time job just to make some extra cash, but I figure nobody is going to want to hire me just for that short period. I started by offering tutoring services to students but only got one offer so far. Some friends recommended I work as a server in a restaurant or something like that since the turnover rate is so high, but I think it would be kind of awkward to just quit so soon after being hired. For those of you who did a little work here and there the summer before med school (not a full summer-length job) what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you score 90 percentile on MCAT
you can try to apply for Kaplan tutor. just google Kaplan tutor and it should direct you to the website. You can also search for Kaplan tutor on SDN and learn more. The pay is about $20/hour.

Try to work out between now and medical school, and continue the routine into M1, M2, M3, M4. Avoid being a coach potato.

Move to the school 1 week before orientation to learn more the environment.

Skim a little bit of M1 materials wouldn't hurt neither.

I will be going on a trip in early June, which will leave me 6 weeks to just hang around the house and get myself ready to go to med school. I want to get at least a part-time job just to make some extra cash, but I figure nobody is going to want to hire me just for that short period. I started by offering tutoring services to students but only got one offer so far. Some friends recommended I work as a server in a restaurant or something like that since the turnover rate is so high, but I think it would be kind of awkward to just quit so soon after being hired. For those of you who did a little work here and there the summer before med school (not a full summer-length job) what did you do?

Oh of course I'll be working out. I actually lost 60 or so lbs. in the past year and a half from diet and exercise and still want to knock off another 15 lbs. before going to medical school. I just want to find something that will earn me a little extra income here and there since I don't have an internship like I did in previous summers. Unfortunately Kaplan won't hire me because I didn't score 90th percentile on all my sections on the MCAT :p

Members don't see this ad :)
lalala

Last edited:
Most prep companies only train once or twice a year anyway so the likelihood of you getting through the tests, training and teaching an entire course in 6 weeks is basically non-existent.

Your best bet is the restaurants - yes it will be awkward when you quit but they're used to it so it won't be that big of a deal. Most people don't want a 6 week employee and there aren't that many options for you in places that are going to know you only want to work 6 weeks unless you have an existing relationship with someone somewhere.

If you weren't working, what would you be doing with your spare time? Just do that, but on a more intense scale. Like if you like playing tennis, flying planes, etc. you can devote more time to those things-you're not going to get this leisure time later. You can also go through your belongings and post all unnecessary junk on Craigslist. Also, check if there are some local camps in your area. in my city, there are loads of private schools which only need counselors for 2 weeks at a time.

If you weren't working, what would you be doing with your spare time? Just do that, but on a more intense scale. Like if you like playing tennis, flying planes, etc. you can devote more time to those things-you're not going to get this leisure time later. You can also go through your belongings and post all unnecessary junk on Craigslist. Also, check if there are some local camps in your area. in my city, there are loads of private schools which only need counselors for 2 weeks at a time.

In the process of doing that too lol. That's a good idea with the camp counselors for short-term. I'll look into it :)

Watch every medical tv show you can. Never know in 10 yrs it might come in handy.

watch movies, tv shows and do all sorts of things cause once ur med school starts, u wont have much time for that

my days currently consists of: eat, sleep, watch scrubs, going to the movies, facebook, sdn, read medical nonfictions, hang out by the pool, go out to bars. seriously... thats it.

i have a job lined up for the month of july, and school starts like 3 days after that ends, so im just fully enjoying my "last real summer"

I'm actually quitting my job so that I can have some free time before medical school. I basically worked throughout undergrad and my friend (who is just finishing up her first year) told me that I better enjoy this last summer. So if I were you I wouldn't really commit to a job. You're better off just focusing on your hobbies, your friends, significant other etc..that you probably wont be seeing much of later on..

Watch every medical tv show you can. Never know in 10 yrs it might come in handy.

Watching every episode of House, starting with Season 1, as we speak :p

Wishing I could quit my job sooner than 3 weeks before school starts :(