What to do for interviews if out of the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm currently in France teaching English while I wait to hear back from Vet Schools!

I am fully aware that this is putting the cart before the horse, as neither of the schools I applied to has even started contacting people for interviews. And I don't know if I'll even be one of those people.

But! That doesn't stop me from stressing over the fact that the interviews take place like four months before I'm supposed to come home. And on an assistant salary, flying home for an interview is next to impossible.

Has anyone ever heard of phone or webcam interviews? Or delayed interviews? I don't get home until May, so that would be quite the delay. Specifically, my 2 schools are WSU and CSU.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a resident of either of those states? I know CSU does not interview out of staters, so that would solve half of your problem if you aren't a resident there.

Did you apply through the WICHE program by chance? WSU won't interview WICHE applicants, so that would solve the other half of your problem! Other than that, I can't offer any help regarding flexibility of interviews.

CSU doesn't hold interviews so you're good there. WSU might be a problem because not only do they hold interviews, they have you write an extemporaneous essay in the waiting area before the interview. So I don't know if a long distance interview would be possible. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard of anyone being able to do a long distance interview. In fact one person in our class had to fly back from japan to go to his interview at penn (he was also teaching English). Luckily for you, as others have said, CSU doesn't interview and they notify student early (by the end ofdecember) I'd they're in or not, so if you get into CSU then you don't need to worry about flying back for a WSU interview. I'd start saving up now though in case you don't get into CSU and do need to fly home for the other interview.

I *have* heard of an over-the-phone interview that someone had because they had a study abroad planned during the school's interview. That's not much help though because I really don't know any of the other circumstances surrounding the situation and I don't remember what school it was or the outcome...just to say I HAVE heard of it and know it's been done before.

I know at my interview at Auburn, they were talking about how some people might have to do theirs via webcam because of the snow storm... i'm sure they will work something out with you

Thanks guys!

Yes, I'd be out of state for Colorado.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out, but it's nice to know that it could be possible! I feel a little better :)