What to do for potential 2nd gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigboss18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Really want some advice as to what to do for a potential 2nd gap year and how to improve/salvage my app. This is currently my second cycle that I am applying, and I am on one waitlist right now

Here are my accumulated stats and experiences:
GPA: 3.9, graduated from public school in the Midwest
MCAT scores: 510, 513, 509
Phi Beta Kappa
Research Accomplishments: Coauthor on 6 abstracts, 2 of which I am first author and presented at national conference
Coauthor on 2 manuscripts, middling authorship (3 and 4)
Lots of research hours (around 2500 hours)

Volunteering and shadowing: 250 hours at my undergrad's university hospital
200 hours HIV test counseling
200 hours through red cross
3 spring break volunteering trips (around 150 hours)
1700 hours AmeriCorps service at homeless clinic (currently completing during gap year, mentioned in essays in second app)
114 hours of shadowing various specialties

So during my first cycle I got three interviews and got put on three waitlists (all to in-state schools). I did not get accepted to any of them. During the first cycle I applied with all the experiences I just listed minus my AmeriCorps hours, the 2 manuscript coauthorships and the 509 MCAT score. I had applied to mostly in-state schools and top 25 out of state schools (yeah bad school choice)

During this past second cycle, I improved my app with more research accomplishments and with AmeriCorps, but I also retook the MCAT during the summer (513 ->509). My mindset was to improve every aspect of my application, but somehow I did much worse during test day than what I had been averaging in my practice tests. This time around I applied to a lot more low and mid tier schools in hopes of compensating for this

However, that didn't seem to help much because this cycle I only had two interviews and am currently on one waitlist. The waitlist I am on is for a school that waitlisted me during the previous cycle. Although this school does historically have large waitlist movement during May, I'm not banking on it

At this point I'm just afraid that there's no way for me to salvage my app. I feel like a huge weakness in my app right now is the decrease in my MCAT score. Even though my GPA, research accomplishments and volunteering experiences are decent, many have told me that my app is unsalvagable at this point due to my multiple MCAT scores.

I am really just seeking opinions on whether my app is salvagable or not and, if it is, what I should do moving forward.

Also here is my school list for this current cycle:
In state schools
Albany Medical College
Case Western
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
GW
Temple
Loyola
MCW
MSU
NYMC
OUWB
Penn State
Rush
SLU
Thomas Jefferson
University of Toledo
Tulane
UColorado
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami
UVermont
UMichigan
URochester
UWisconsin
VCU
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Thank you guys for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your EC’s are actually quite good as well as your GPA.

Your MCAT really is killing your application. But I think your interviewing skills might also be a problem because you recieved 3 interviewed the first cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
I suspect a bad LOR or really bad essays/personal statements...

I mean you got interviews so work on your interview skills

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should consider applying to DO schools the third time around. If you’re not planning on going into a super competitive specialty, DO is a safe bet with your stats. Have you gotten in touch with the schools that interviewed you and requested feedback? I know that a lot of schools don’t do that, but it’s worth a shot! They might not tell you much but can steer you in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user
i agree that you should include DO schools, if possible – it wouldn't be any fun to risk a fourth application. OP, did you submit your previous application on the first day? applying late was a mistake i made last cycle that seriously restricted the amount of interviews i received.

your GPA is great, your ECs are great, and your MCATs are average but not bad. IMO you're a well-qualified applicant and you shouldn't be thinking in terms of "salvaging" your app. as others have mentioned, make sure your interview skills and essays are pristine. practice and get proofreaders! with your experience, you should be able to build a solid narrative as a mission-oriented applicant. don't give up on yourself, OP!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Def won't give up on this. I still have not gotten off my waitlist so I am currently preparing to reapply next cycle. However, I am not sure what I should do during this upcoming year after my AmeriCorps program ends. I am debating between being a clinical research coordinator or continuing to work for the homeless/low-income clinic I am currently at. Having a hard time deciding what would improve my app the most since I feel like I have decent research and clinical experience right now. Taking the MCAT a 4th time seems iffy too.

I suspect a bad LOR or really bad essays/personal statements...

I mean you got interviews so work on your interview skills

Is there a way to find out if this is the case? I don't think my references gave me bad letters but I guess I can't be completely sure.