What to do for the next two years to make my app look stronger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vertu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a 3rd year in university. My current stats are:
3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
-1 year of Neurology research
-No current clinical experience
-20 hours shadowing M.D. and counting
-Have not shadowed a Podiatrist
-3 months Tutoring underserved kids
-6 months Helping provide the homeless with free furniture
-Will take the MCAT Summer 2017 in September

For getting into podiatry school, must the clinical experience be podiatry-related? Or can it just be general, such as maybe serving as a clinic assistant?
What should I do for the next two years to make my application look stronger?
Also, if I take the MCAT on September 2017, does this mean I will take a gap year if I'm planning on graduating from my 4-year university in June of 2018?

Thank you for any advice you guys may have.

Members don't see this ad.

You're at a perfect time to make improvements everywhere. Get great grades- always go for an A and bring your science GPA up. Shadowing a podiatrist is simply worth it and you should view it as a requirement on a personal level if you think you might want to do it. A few days out of Christmas break is well worth it, plus you need a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist.

MCAT- Applications open beginning of August - apply early. You are totally fine to apply before you take the MCAT. Your scores can be released directly to the application service when they are finalized. You will not need a gap year, but they will want your transcripts from your spring and fall semesters of your senior year even if you've already been accepted (so you still need to do well in your courses).

Shadow a Podiatrist, improve GPA, keep it up on the volunteer stuff.

Reactions: 1 users