What to do from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

777greywolf

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Sophmore (going into junior year)
I have a gpa of 3.11 and I got a C/C+ in Ochem 1 and 2, Im really worried. I hope to get a 3.7 (give or take a little by the time I graduate, and Im studying to get a really good mcat score, or at least above average. What else should I be doing to help give myself a better chance for med school? Should I retake the ochem classes? (granted, it wont be replaced in my gpa, but would it help?)

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a Sophmore (going into junior year)
I have a gpa of 3.11 and I got a C/C+ in Ochem 1 and 2, Im really worried. I hope to get a 3.7 (give or take a little by the time I graduate, and Im studying to get a really good mcat score, or at least above average. What else should I be doing to help give myself a better chance for med school? Should I retake the ochem classes? (granted, it wont be replaced in my gpa, but would it help?)

It's important that you establish a strong upward trend in your last 60 hours of residency at your school. Ideally, you ace all your courses (try to make them science courses) and bring your GPA up to a 3.6ish, which is competitive enough for MD schools and competitive for DO schools. I know the MCAT is another stress factor, so just make sure that you don't overload yourself with courses, MCAT studying, ECs, etc. such that you do poorly in your classes. Retaking courses might be useful if you think you can get an A - I personally, wouldn't recommend retaking it if you think you're going to get a B, because although it shows improvement, it's not at all beneficial towards increasing your GPA.

And in general, be involved in your community, be it volunteering at a clinic, planned parenthood, food bank, tutoring, etc. - this all looks good on an application.