What to do? I thought the first app was exhausting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcwhite007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a 3.0GPA with a 3.5 BCPM for my undergrad. ( I was drunk the first year of college...go figure). I had a 26Q on the MCAT (8/9/9) I am taking a prep course to make it a little higher this time. I have two years of volunteer experience and I used to own a business for 5yrs. I am married with two kids. Currently I work as an Anesthesia Technologist at a local hospital. The experience with this job is first rate! I really cant go back and take more courses now that I must work to support my family. Since last application, I took some graduate courses and got this spiffy job. Its not the highest paying but the experience is priceless. I hope to raise my MCAT by 3-5pts. Do you all think that I should apply this year? Or wait until next year? I am kinda stuck on what to do. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps if you are willing to go to a DO school, I think that an MCAT score of at least a 30 would be fine. Otherwise, your overall GPA is too low even for the low tier schools. You may want to consider a one year SMP program.

I think that you're a pretty long shot at some of the very low tiered allopathic schools and maybe your state schools if you apply very early and get really lucky. You may want to consider DO and Caribbean as an option. As the others have said, get your mcat up, and reapply early. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jobs, in order of importance:

1) Get MCAT to 30+

2) Get GPA up - take some ugrad classes, if you did one of the pre-reqs poorly (D in O-Chem_ you might want to take it over.

3) Apply broadly and to many different types of schools - MD, DO, all that.

I know of a few people that got into low tier schools with 26-28 scores. Granted, they did at least have a 3.5+ gpa. I'd say the gpa is what's killing you. You could always study like mad and raise the mcat a few notches (at least to a 30 or so), but the gpa is in stone. You might consider a graduate or postbacc. program to kick it up a tad. Consider DO, and Carib. as well.