what to do if I am not accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gmcguitar4

Hey alll I am currently applying to MD schools this cycle with 33P and 3.0 GPA. I applied to about 18 schools so far. I haven't had status update changes for most of them but I did get one interview so far. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what to do if I do not get in this cycle.

So if I did not get in, I would basically have two more years of doing EC's/raising my GPA. I am already taking 3 upper level science courses this Fall and will continue to do so until I get in probably. I currently work as a research coordinator at a hospital and have been doing it since last september. I will probably continue to work here until at least next summer but I want to switch up my experience.

The benefits of this job is that I get a ton of clinical experience, tons of research opportunities, possible publications, make connections, and an office with a great view:cool:.

Negatives are that I don't get paid and my savings will not hold me up for another two years and I can't stand living at home anymore.

Would it be worth changing jobs/locations for a new experience? Does it look better to schools to have 1 super long experience or a couple of 1-2 year experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey alll I am currently applying to MD schools this cycle with 33P and 3.0 GPA. I applied to about 18 schools so far. I haven't had status update changes for most of them but I did get one interview so far. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what to do if I do not get in this cycle.

So if I did not get in, I would basically have two more years of doing EC's/raising my GPA. I am already taking 3 upper level science courses this Fall and will continue to do so until I get in probably. I currently work as a research coordinator at a hospital and have been doing it since last september. I will probably continue to work here until at least next summer but I want to switch up my experience.

The benefits of this job is that I get a ton of clinical experience, tons of research opportunities, possible publications, make connections, and an office with a great view:cool:.

Negatives are that I don't get paid and my savings will not hold me up for another two years and I can't stand living at home anymore.

Would it be worth changing jobs/locations for a new experience? Does it look better to schools to have 1 super long experience or a couple of 1-2 year experiences?

Your top priority should be to get your GPA up. A 3.0 will not do you any favors- you should definately consider DO schools as their GPA calculations can be kinder to those that retake classes.

As far as the job is concerned you should try to get some paid work- it sounds like you have had quite a bit of clinical/ research experience already from your current job, so if you have to take a position that is less "pre-med perfect" that actually pays the rent, then you shouldn't sweat it.

Gahhhhh that GPA needs to come up clearly. It is in a good spot for something like a SMP however. You have a solid MCAT. SMPs are essentially designed for your exact situation. Solid MCAT low GPA. I didnt do a SMP but I did a traditional masters before med school and I was able to raise my GPA .5X with it (for DO a MS will raise your cumulative GPA, however on AMCAS you are going to need a SMP or retaking undergrad classes to touch that GPA). My GPA was so low undergrad that I wasnt even going to get ANY love most likely from allo programs (even with the MS of 75 credits I was still in the 3.0 something range) so I stuck to DO only. If you successfully complete a SMP or even MS you will most likely be quite competitive for a allo program with your stats however.

This is all hypothetical of course because for you may very well get in this cycle who knows. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping the school I got an interview offer(in NY) will show me some love. My app is really unique and I have special circumstances for my gpa so they are giving me a shot to explain myself. I feel that I can handle the interview very well but who knows what will happen.

I can't do the SMP because they are all too far from home and I cannot afford them anyway. I am just taking 3 courses a semester, all upper level science, until I get in. I live in NYC and the city colleges are realllly cheap.But yea GPA is #1 thing.

I am also interested in DO programs and have applied to them as well.

I am hoping the school I got an interview offer(in NY) will show me some love. My app is really unique and I have special circumstances for my gpa so they are giving me a shot to explain myself. I feel that I can handle the interview very well but who knows what will happen.

I can't do the SMP because they are all too far from home and I cannot afford them anyway. I am just taking 3 courses a semester, all upper level science, until I get in. I live in NYC and the city colleges are realllly cheap.But yea GPA is #1 thing.

I am also interested in DO programs and have applied to them as well.

Where in NY if you dont mind me asking. I am a NY native...transplanted to philly for the last 4 years.

Personally, I think you should be able to get in to A school somewhere. Exactly where? Who knows? But I think with your numbers you should be able to get in somewhere assuming you didn't apply to a bunch of very competitive schools only.

The good thing in your situation is that you do not have to worry about the mcat or retaking. If things don't go our way, just focus on your coursework and you'll be fine

If you don't get into this cycle you should try to do one + of these:
1. Try taking advanced classes in post grad.
2. Do grade replacement
3. Apply to DO
Don't:
1. Apply to the Carribean, please XD lol

There are new medical schools opened in the US, so they might be a bit easier getting into because they are trying to fill up their classes, for an example Cooper Medical school. So, good luck :)

I am definitely not applying to Caribbean schools for several reasons that everyone here knows about and my skin cannot handle that sun!

I actually have thought about the taco truck before...I was in a band and we almost rented a taco truck to tour. Live in the truck and sell tacos by day..rock out at night.

The school is not buffalo, Albany, or Rochester.

Last edited: