What to do if I can't go through match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I may not get my ECFMG certification in time for match (I think I might have failed a step). If this is the case. What should I do. I want to go into Internal Med and some programs require that you do clinical work the year prior to starting. I am very concerned. Would doing research for the year be O.K. if I could get it? Please HELP!

M-

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I'm really worrying over what to do. Can someone help? Thanks you.

M-

First, Don't Panic! You do have options. If you have failed a step, study and retake it. There is always the scramble after the match. Also, many rumors have it that you can contract outside the match for a spot. Research for a year, if that is what you want to do, will also work fine. You might be able to do an observership if you have time off. You might also consider getting an MPH if public health interests you. I have a friend that is volunteering for her local courts during her time off. There are lots of things you can do.

So, take a nice deep breath, and consider what you might LIKE to do.

Hi Annette:

Thanks so much for your help. Can you tell me more about what your friend is doing. Also, are you thought of less by residencies if you have taken a year off for research and haven't been doing clinical work? Thanks again so much.

Cheers,

M-