what to do if i didn't get the secondary app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i haven't received a secondary from U of Minnesota, my state school. I'm getting paranoid that i accidently deleted an email or never got a letter, and i just don't want to fall behind in this rolling admissions process. Looking at other applicant's dates of when they received their secondary, completed their file, etc., it seems that most people who have submitted their primaries weeks after mine (my amcas was processed around july 20th) at U of MN have already received these secondary applications. Although they screen pre-secondary, i thought that having both a GPA and MCAT above the averages plus my MN state residency, i would qualify for a secondary. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to email the admissions office to check my status? thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I would email them.

VPDcurt said:
Yes I would email them.

thanks for the quick reply! do you think it would be equally as appropriate to call the admissions office directly?

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about calling. I think some schools request that you do not call because the office is very busy and that only adds to the problem. I would be play it safe initially and send an email. If you don't hear from them within a few days, then you should probably give them a call.

PS - Sorry, I don't really know much about U of MN.

U of Minnesota is VERY VERY slow. my brother goes to med school there. he got his interview invite for the LAST day of interviews and got in like a week later. i, too haven't received a 2ndary invite, and they're one of the last. just hang in there. in the meantime i would recommend going to the U of Minn website and printing those god-forsaken letter of rec forms they require you to get filled out and send them to your letter writers. i started an angry thread about that a little while ago.
-mota

DaMota said:
U of Minnesota is VERY VERY slow. my brother goes to med school there. he got his interview invite for the LAST day of interviews and got in like a week later. i, too haven't received a 2ndary invite, and they're one of the last. just hang in there. in the meantime i would recommend going to the U of Minn website and printing those god-forsaken letter of rec forms they require you to get filled out and send them to your letter writers. i started an angry thread about that a little while ago.
-mota

thanks for the advice :) do you mind if i ask when you submitted your AMCAS?

DaMota said:
-mota

i think evms does that too. i called emailed them and they said not to bother because i'm using a letter service. maybe u of minnesota will let it slide if there's another way around the loc.

Also very frustrated.... until I finally got the nerve to call them yesterday. My amcas was verified late june and I have been desperately waiting on them ever since (also a MN resident). This is one of my top picks and (I thought) one of the school s I have a decent shot at. Anyway, when I called, they said they had completed the first look at my amcas criteris and that I have been approved for a secondary, and, OOOOPS!!!! (he said this..."We forgot to notify you"... how ****ing nice) it seems we've mailed your secondary application as of yesterday (so on tuesday). Hope that helps...

I say we keep this thread going for other questions that I'm sure will arise during our application to UofM.

PS- I asked about the recommendation forms, and he looked up my undergraduate recommendation info from the past and asid that the form my university uses is very similar to what they request and so it is not necessary that I include these. You may want to call and ask for yourself regarding your schools. Thought I'd let you know.

Good Luck!!!

snowgirl said:
i haven't received a secondary from U of Minnesota, my state school. I'm getting paranoid that i accidently deleted an email or never got a letter, and i just don't want to fall behind in this rolling admissions process. Looking at other applicant's dates of when they received their secondary, completed their file, etc., it seems that most people who have submitted their primaries weeks after mine (my amcas was processed around july 20th) at U of MN have already received these secondary applications. Although they screen pre-secondary, i thought that having both a GPA and MCAT above the averages plus my MN state residency, i would qualify for a secondary. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to email the admissions office to check my status? thanks in advance for your help.
hey i didnt receive one either, im a TX resident 3.8/37 and amcas verified 7/26. dunno what they are doing, im not asking though. indiana didnt send me one either. things like this are strange