What to do if I know I won't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow SDNers :). I had posted this on another thread, but thought that this deserves its own thread because maybe some other people may be in my same position:

Hey guys...wanted to know something: I would like to do a TRI, however I have heard that it is a diff internship to land because some competitive residencies require them before starting PGY2. My comlex 1 score is basically pass and my comlex 2 score was below 600, so nothing impressive here. I don't have research as a med student. I don't think that I will match bc of these stats. My question therefore is: Knowing that I won't match, what should I do? Should I apply for internal medicine (and if so do I have to change my personal statement towards IM?), or is it pointless, since no one will call me for an interview at this point of the game? Is my only option now to SOAP? What should I do now in preparation for not matching so I don't waste a year of my life? Thanks so much guys for your input, I'm kinda desperate here :cryi::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello my fellow SDNers :). I had posted this on another thread, but thought that this deserves its own thread because maybe some other people may be in my same position:

Hey guys...wanted to know something: I would like to do a TRI, however I have heard that it is a diff internship to land because some competitive residencies require them before starting PGY2. My comlex 1 score is basically pass and my comlex 2 score was below 600, so nothing impressive here. I don't have research as a med student. I don't think that I will match bc of these stats. My question therefore is: Knowing that I won't match, what should I do? Should I apply for internal medicine (and if so do I have to change my personal statement towards IM?), or is it pointless, since no one will call me for an interview at this point of the game? Is my only option now to SOAP? What should I do now in preparation for not matching so I don't waste a year of my life? Thanks so much guys for your input, I'm kinda desperate here :cryi::scared:
So your goal is to just do a TRI?

Members don't see this ad :)
TRIs are not comprtitive. I think they meant transitional year, I guess.

It's too late this year to do anything different.

Did you get any interviews?

Last edited:
For an AOA traditional rotating internship (with no linkage to any categorical residency programs)

For 2013, there were 608 spots in 96 programs. Post-match, there were 237 positions filled and 376 positions unfilled (don't know why the total spots postmatch was 613 when the pre-match spots was 608)

For 2012, there were 586 spots in 99 programs. Post-match, there were 243 positions filled and 351 positions unfilled (again, total spots post-match was 594, not 586)

For 2011, there was 623 spots in 107 programs. Post-match, there were 245 positions filled and 390 positions unfilled (total spots was 635)

Statistics from the National Matching Services, Inc.
https://natmatch.com/aoairp/aboutstats.html

As you can see, there are plenty of spots left after the AOA Match - likely because they are unlinked (which mean that there is no guarantee of a residency spots or position after this intern year).

Some will do this before going into ACGME residency to satisfy the state licensure requirement for AOA internship (another option is to pursue Resolution 42). Some will do this so they can have more time to decide which specialty they want to pursue. Some will do this to give them another attempt at a highly competitive residency (ie neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, ENT, etc). Some will do this because they have an unofficial agreement with an AOA dermatology program (or any other residency programs) and need to complete a required AOA internship year.

Now for ACGME Transitional Year Internship - they can be extremely competitive. The applicants vying for those spots are usually applicants with the stats to match into Ophthalmology, Radiation Oncology, Dermatology (and any programs that require a separate PGY1 year before starting their categorical residency). The reason why these spots are competitive is because they are "easier" than doing an preliminary medicine or preliminary surgery year. There are fewer ward months, fewer ICU time, and more electives compare to the preliminary surgery or preliminary medicine internships.

Reactions: 1 users
For AOA residencies, the deadline this year to submit rank list (for applicants and programs) is January 24, 2014. So it is too late to apply for AOA IM programs and hope to match.

For ACGME residencies (through NRMP), the deadline this year to submit rank list (for applicants and programs) is Feb 26, 2014. A lot of programs are still interviewing but are starting to wrap up their interviews (some will interview into early Feb). A lot of programs will submit their finalized rank list before that deadline (don't want to take the chance of waiting until the last moment and have something go wrong like power outage or internet outage, or website/server issues, etc). If you apply for ACGME IM programs, you are facing a very tight deadline (and I'm not sure if programs are even checking to see if there are new applications).

Last year, 170 AOA IM spots did not fill through the match (out of 572 spots, 402 match). For ACGME IM spots, there were only 35 spots that did not fill through the match (out of 6277 spots, 6242 match). I know SDN likes to propagate the rumors that there are hundreds of unfilled IM spots, but the statistics does not support that rumor.

*sources: National Matching Services, Incs and NRMP

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter what you tell OP, they won't listen. We all tried to warn them a while ago:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/comlex-scores-and-specialties.846211/page-2
Yea they were trying to match derm with a step 1 of 408, then wouldn't listen to advice about switching to FM

This person reminds me of a friends sister who had a GPA less than 3.0 and a 29 MCAT. Refused to take classes to continue bumping up the GPA or the MCAT and insisted on only applying to top med schools. Tried 3 cycles and didn't get in so she settled for like some x-Ray tech job or something like that,

You can't help but to not feel sorry for people like this. Low board scores, no research, no audition rotations who knows what the class rank is. But they still wanna aim high and continue to think they should be earning a spot in top specialties.

Then they don't listen to advice, call people jerks and come back to the same forum apparently almost desperately crying.

Candy, it is too late to do anything at this point and you should've done this very smartly and listened to advice. Now you'll be figuring out what to do for a gap year. I suggest you switch to IM or FM and apply as broadly and generously as you possibly can ON THE NEXT MATCH. I say this under the assumption that your application is not shining in any area.

Last edited:
This person reminds me of a friends sister who had a GPA less than 3.0 and a 29 MCAT. Refused to take classes to continue bumping up the GPA or the MCAT and insisted on only applying to top med schools. Tried 3 cycles and didn't get in so she settled for like some x-Ray tech job or something like that,

You can't help but to not feel sorry for people like this. Low board scores, no research, no audition rotations who knows what the class rank is. But they still wanna aim high and continue to think they should be earning a spot in top specialties.

Then they don't listen to advice, call people jerks and come back to the same forum apparently almost desperately crying.

Candy, it is too late to do anything at this point and you should've done this very smartly and listened to advice. Now you'll be figuring out what to do for a gap year. I suggest you switch to IM or FM and apply as broadly and generously as you possibly can ON THE NEXT MATCH. I say this under the assumption that your application is not shining in any area.

As a pre-med, you're probably not in the best position to be criticizing the OP's match expectations.

Reactions: 2 users
As a pre-med, you're probably not in the best position to be criticizing the OP's match expectations.

I gave myself license to criticize after showing OP's history to 1 resident and 1 MS4 and my opinion coincided with theirs as well as the rest of those on this thread who have commented. And since I did not say anything differently than others in this thread, but rather resonated with their opinions, your disagreement to have me comment has no legitimate foundation other than the superficial element of my graduation year.

I gave myself license to criticize after showing OP's history to 1 resident and 1 MS4 and my opinion coincided with theirs as well as the rest of those on this thread who have commented. And since I did not say anything differently than others in this thread, but rather resonated with their opinions, your disagreement to have me comment has no legitimate foundation other than the superficial element of my graduation year.

Actually, I do have legitimate foundation. It's not just about your graduation year in the literal sense. It's the fact that until YOU have experienced the stressful process known as the match, your criticism is unwarranted and cocky. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give advice or chime in. But to mock the OP with things such as what's quoted below shows arrogance:

You can't help but to not feel sorry for people like this. Low board scores, no research, no audition rotations who knows what the class rank is...

...Then they don't listen to advice, call people jerks and come back to the same forum apparently almost desperately crying.

And yes, you DID say different things than others on this thread. It's one thing to give advice, as everyone else did. It's another to mock and kick someone when they're down, especially since you haven't been through one semester of med school yet, let alone the match. You were the only one who did that.

At this point it's probably too late to apply for anything else through the regular match this cycle. Osteopathic programs submit rank lists in like a week or so and ACGME programs will soon follow suit in February.

Hope for the best through the match this cycle (assuming you have done some interviews). Then if you do not match you have a few options, some of which will require "wasting a year of your life," as you put it.

Options:
1. You can do a traditional year (osteopathic TRI) through the Osteopathic Scramble, then think long and hard about what specialties you want to do AND which you are competitive for with your stats/application and apply again next cycle.
2. You can do the NRMP SOAP and try to land a transitional or prelim (medicine or surgery) year, then think long and hard about what specialties you want to do AND which you are competitive for with your stats/application and apply again next cycle.
3. You can try to do either the Osteopathic Scramble or NRMP SOAP and hopefully receive an FM/IM position this cycle that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I do have legitimate foundation. It's not just about your graduation year in the literal sense. It's the fact that until YOU have experienced the stressful process known as the match, your criticism is unwarranted and cocky. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give advice or chime in. But to mock the OP with things such as what's quoted below shows arrogance:

And yes, you DID say different things than others on this thread. It's one thing to give advice, as everyone else did. It's another to mock and kick someone when they're down, especially since you haven't been through one semester of med school yet, let alone the match. You were the only one who did that.

Maybe if you actually went through her history and saw how she responded to advise back when she took step 1 and people told her to open her options and she didn't listen then maybe you can stop making it seem like she's a victim.

I'm ignoring any further comments from you. C ya

Maybe if you actually went through her history and saw how she responded to advise back when she took step 1 and people told her to open her options and she didn't listen then maybe you can stop making it seem like she's a victim.

Maybe when you actually get to med school and some day, 4 years from now, go through the match, your insight will mean something.

Zombie, the person has 8 posts. It's most likely Pink Candy that is too embarrassed to post on their name.

dude went and changed his status to "medical student" to seem more legit. kids these days...

Reactions: 3 users
2. You can do the NRMP SOAP and try to land a transitional or prelim (medicine or surgery) year, then think long and hard about what specialties you want to do AND which you are competitive for with your stats/application and apply again next cycle.
OP needs to be registered for the ACGME match in order to SOAP. The only real options are Surg prelims. If there are any transitional or medicine prelims, they go to the extraorindarily overqualified derm or radiology candidates who miscalculated their wonderfulness.

So your goal is to just do a TRI?
Basically yes... I want to do a TRI
At this point it's probably too late to apply for anything else through the regular match this cycle. Osteopathic programs submit rank lists in like a week or so and ACGME programs will soon follow suit in February.

Hope for the best through the match this cycle (assuming you have done some interviews). Then if you do not match you have a few options, some of which will require "wasting a year of your life," as you put it.

Options:
1. You can do a traditional year (osteopathic TRI) through the Osteopathic Scramble, then think long and hard about what specialties you want to do AND which you are competitive for with your stats/application and apply again next cycle.
3. You can try to do either the Osteopathic Scramble or NRMP SOAP and hopefully receive an FM/IM position this cycle that way.

I actually do want to do an osteopathic TRI. I am even open to doing research, I just have to find out places that are taking students. I am also open to doing IM. The only reason I am not so open to doing FM is b/c I don't know if after that I will be able to pursue a specialty, whereas IM has at least some subspecialties. I have seen derms, ophthos, and EM docs that have done IM or FM before, but I don't know how feasible this is. This is what has me confused :thinking::(

Zombie, the person has 8 posts. It's most likely Pink Candy that is too embarrassed to post on their name.
This may be something that you do, not me. I have one face and one face only. I feel no embarrassment for my comments, my scores, or my choices. It is what it is. I would appreciate that if you have nothing positive/helpful to post, that you vent out your personal/professional frustrations elsewhere (instead of "elsewhere" I was going to put "with your friends" but given your personality, you probably have none, which is why you are so jaded). Anyway, I do hope you the best, and that you never encounter the stumbling blocks I am facing now, because it is a dark and desperate situation!!! :luck::kiss:

This may be something that you do, not me. I have one face and one face only. I feel no embarrassment for my comments, my scores, or my choices. It is what it is. I would appreciate that if you have nothing positive/helpful to post, that you vent out your personal/professional frustrations elsewhere (instead of "elsewhere" I was going to put "with your friends" but given your personality, you probably have none, which is why you are so jaded). Anyway, I do hope you the best, and that you never encounter the stumbling blocks I am facing now, because it is a dark and desperate situation!!! :luck::kiss:
Ok, now I'm 100% sure that you were the same posters.
It's pretty obvious to anyone given your post history why you aren't going to practice any form of derm, optho, ect.. Those are extremely competitive for a reason, but i'll go ahead and break down some reasons why you won't for future students reading this:
1) Your step 1 score of 408. It doesn't matter what you did on step 2, because this will not look good for a competitive program to EVER accept an individual with that score. And make no mistake, residency programs care about appearance
2) You fell asleep during the biggest exam of your life. How is that even possible? It will be perceived as not being able to handle stressful situations very well
3) You don't take any form of criticism well at all. Ignoring any advice given and then reverting to petty insults. No program wants to hire someone with the emotional maturity of a 12 yr old. It's time to grow up
4) This is going to be an assumption, but i'm just guessing you don't get along very well with your classmates/residents/attendings. I could be wrong, but the way you handled everyone in your posts I think its a safe bet. Now that probably translated to poor/mediocre rotation evaluations

Good luck to you, I have wasted enough time on you. You have some major hurdles to overcome

Ok, now I'm 100% sure that you were the same posters.
It's pretty obvious to anyone given your post history why you aren't going to practice any form of derm, optho, ect.. Those are extremely competitive for a reason, but i'll go ahead and break down some reasons why you won't for future students reading this:
1) Your step 1 score of 408. It doesn't matter what you did on step 2, because this will not look good for a competitive program to EVER accept an individual with that score. And make no mistake, residency programs care about appearance
2) You fell asleep during the biggest exam of your life. How is that even possible? It will be perceived as not being able to handle stressful situations very well
3) You don't take any form of criticism well at all. Ignoring any advice given and then reverting to petty insults. No program wants to hire someone with the emotional maturity of a 12 yr old. It's time to grow up
4) This is going to be an assumption, but i'm just guessing you don't get along very well with your classmates/residents/attendings. I could be wrong, but the way you handled everyone in your posts I think its a safe bet. Now that probably translated to poor/mediocre rotation evaluations

Good luck to you, I have wasted enough time on you. You have some major hurdles to overcome

I just realized I was right about what I said about you, and hurt your feelings. Like I said previously, lets hope that you are not in the same situation and that you have outstanding grades and board exams to try to cover up for your egotistical attitude. I assume that if you were in that situation, you will not be able to post your TRUE GRADES/BOARD SCORES HERE because of the same reason. It seems that you believe that you are in great position, and although that may be true now, life is a box of surprises. Good luck with you, I guess you are the way you are because it must be horrible to have to live with yourself 24/7 :scared::uhno:

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, now I'm 100% sure that you were the same posters

You're an ass. Believe it or not, more than one person thinks you're an arrogant jackass. Just because two of us were vocal about it doesn't mean we're the same person.

There's a pot/kettle saying that comes to mind here and I'm positive I'm not the only one thinking it.

4) This is going to be an assumption, but i'm just guessing you don't get along very well with your classmates/residents/attendings. I could be wrong, but the way you handled everyone in your posts I think its a safe bet. Now that probably translated to poor/mediocre rotation evaluation

Once again, pot/kettle. It's quite comical actually. And FYI, this is coming from someone with outstanding evals. Check your ego at the door. You won't survive med school with your attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.