YankeesfanZF5

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So I am a biology major (like every other premed) with minors in psych and chem. (Might drop bio and do business or bio education and just finish the prereqs and take a few extra courses to help mcat.) Just wanted some food for thought. What could someone do with degrees (like bio, chem, psych) if you don't get into medical school? Thanks for your reply in advance!

Reactions: StudyLater

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So I am a biology major (like every other premed) with minors in psych and chem. (Might drop bio and do business or bio education and just finish the prereqs and take a few extra courses to help mcat.) Just wanted some food for thought. What could someone do with degrees (like bio, chem, psych) if you don't get into medical school? Thanks for your reply in advance!
If you're still cool with pursuing healthcare:
PA, NP, OD, dentistry, CRNA, AA, pods.

If not pursuing healthcare that degree is going to be pretty useless outside of academics/research (i.e. 40k/yr max to start).

futuremdforme

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2013
Status
Non-Student
If you're still cool with pursuing healthcare:
PA, NP, OD, dentistry, CRNA, AA, pods.

If not pursuing healthcare that degree is going to be pretty useless outside of academics/research (i.e. 40k/yr max to start).
Masters in management, policy, etc. You can do sales, marketing, advertising, etc. All are very lucrative.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Take the lsat and go to law school. You can probably do IP law or something specialized since you have a background in basic science.

Justtheworst

Non-refundable
2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You can always go into teaching, go back to school to get your masters and do research, or go back to school and pursue another degree in something with more applicable job prospects.

Reactions: AlfonsTheGuru

RaspberrySlushy

5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2013
Portland, OR
Status
Pre-Medical
Great topic! I know we don't like to think about it, but I think it's so important, just being realistic in life, to have some idea of a backup plan. Even if it's just a faint idea in the back of your mind just in case some disaster happens (life is unpredictable) or you just don't get in and can't spend boatloads of $$$ reapplying year after year.

I guess I've thought about this b/c I know there is something that may keep me out of medicine. It's not grades or IA or anything. And it's something unchangeable. So the pragmatic, kinda scrappy side of me says I better have a plan B just in case. I'll still give it all I've got, but there's still a plan B.

For me, it would probably be pharmacy. I don't think I'd like it nearly as much as med but I really love chemistry so it's an option. Or teaching. I'm not super interested in lots of academic research though.

I know ppl like to say not to have a plan B but I'm a little older (early 30s) and I just have experienced many ways that life can change quickly and doesn't always match with the most sincerest and intensest of plans no matter how much we may want it to.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
For me, it would probably be pharmacy.
Same. Because quite honestly the MCAT you need to go CRNA/AA is decent enough for DO anyway. So if I can't be a doc those other two are kind of out. And next up is pharm.

Downside for some being saturation (i.e. having to live in the middle of nowhere) which will only increase over time, and the soul-sucking nature of retail, which makes up the vast majority of pharm jobs. Oh and zero respect or job satisfaction.

Luckily I care about none of those things.

I know ppl like to say not to have a plan B but I'm a little older (early 30s) and I just have experienced many ways that life can change quickly and doesn't always match with the most sincerest and intensest of plans no matter how much we may want it to.
Yeah. Late 30s and I'm still in parents basement playing WoW all day. I literally wake up every day like, "Is this actually my life?" Then I go own some noobs after farming exp with my dragon mage clan and sell bulk virtual gold to the Chinese. It's a good gig, but I feel like medicine would be so much better.

Reactions: Oh_Gee

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
If you find that interacting with patients is not up your alley, but want to be involved in medicine, you could always get an MHA and the FACHE. I know of a few folks who've done this; and if I fail to get in, that's probably the direction I will sadly go.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
playing WoW all day. I literally wake up every day like, "Is this actually my life?" Then I go own some noobs after farming exp with my dragon mage clan ...
eh, wat? obviously, you don't play. ;)

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I vent :p or hang out as Commander :)

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Good football hazing story.

Freshman had to drop their pants and rub icyhot on their balls in front of all the seniors.

Apparently this made logical sense at the time.

Reactions: oOKawaiiOo

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Make sure you don't forget the duct tape :p
??? I'm actually not a quasi-homosexual jock. As much as statistics are in your favor.

EDIT: Oh wait forgot you were a girl. In that case I will attempt to smoothly hit on you, fail, and then proceed to spread rumors to the whole school about you being a total slut.

Damn. I kind of miss HS.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Please keep the discussion on topic.
Apologies.

@yankessfanzf5 - R&D at biopharma company helping do clinical trials (excessively awesome if you can get in on ground floor of IPO), with a bit of research could do bench research for them as well (plus they pay for PhD); get a law degree and do compliance for FDA filings...

There are so many things rote business people do not understand about the sciences that when someone comes through that can understand, it is immensely valuable.

Biology degree does not = dead end; people just need to be a bit more creative in what they do with it

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
There is alot of other great careers besides medicine. As a premed I wouldn't worry about that now. Just focus at what is in front of you at the moment! Things have a way of working themselves out. Just do your best. If medicine doesn't work its not the end of the world!

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would personally apply to grad school to get my PhD in mol bio and hopefully eventually do biomedically-oriented research and teach (I know I know, given the amount of PhDs currently, the possibility of getting your own lab and professorship at academic institution is highly unlikely, but hey this is hypothetical yes?) I've really enjoyed doing research, however, the research I participated in was basic science research so I would prefer to do something that could still contribute/advance the field of medicine. Teaching has been a hobby of mine - 3 years as a TA, tutoring multiple students currently.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
There is alot of other great careers besides medicine.
No there aren't. Medicine or die.

As a premed I wouldn't worry about that now. Just focus at what is in front of you at the moment!
I think it's fair for OP to want to plan out his/her life during the years when he/she'll be forming his/her educational foundation for his/her future career.

Things have a way of working themselves out. Just do your best. If medicine doesn't work its not the end of the world!
Yes it is.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I would personally apply to grad school to get my PhD in mol bio and hopefully eventually do biomedically-oriented research and teach (I know I know, given the amount of PhDs currently, the possibility of getting your own lab and professorship at academic institution is highly unlikely, but hey this is hypothetical yes?)
I'd rather teach preschool, personally.

I've really enjoyed doing research, however, the research I participated in was basic science research so I would prefer to do something that could still contribute/advance the field of medicine. Teaching has been a hobby of mine - 3 years as a TA, tutoring multiple students currently.
Teaching is indeed awesome. Pay is terrible, however, unless you own a tutor company that does pre-professional test prep @ $100+/hr.

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'd rather teach preschool, personally.

Teaching is indeed awesome. Pay is terrible, however, unless you own a tutor company that does pre-professional test prep @ $100+/hr.

Ok? I'm merely stating what I would do - not sure why your comments are necessary haha

Reactions: Cytarabine
May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
a phd? I have come with this conclusion that if you want to be a doctor at some point in your life and you don't become one, do yourself a favor and just don't do secondary provider work unless that's the reason you don't want to be a doctor. Going for a phd in MPH, doing business to become a consultant, or going into an engineering program after completing a few prereqs is what I think be best. You get to be respected at the end of the day instead of being at the sidelines and every time and again wishing you had pulled a miracle to become a doctor instead of acting like one when it may be ethically incorrect.

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
Grad school is a good way to go for someone with a bachelor's in science (masters, PhD). You can also do something like an MBA, which helps you in some of the industries that are more biologically based.

Pusheen

silently judging
2+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2014
The Golden State
Status
Medical Student
I would have a biochemistry degree, which is a little more applicable for stuff like forensic science, clinical labs, and industry. I would probably do something in one of those fields, with research as well, hopefully

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
No there aren't. Medicine or die.

I think it's fair for OP to want to plan out his/her life during the years when he/she'll be forming his/her educational foundation for his/her future career.

Yes it is.
You can't create multiple educational foundations while doing medicine and a unrelated career. If medicine is the plan a for now stick with what's in front of you and see where it goes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Teach myself some engineering skills and invent medical things ==> profit

Reactions: frosted_flake

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
You can always go into teaching, go back to school to get your masters and do research, or go back to school and pursue another degree in something with more applicable job prospects.
^
You can take a short cut with Teach for America. Start working immediately and earn your degree while doing it.

With an income, you can also attempt to apply again. MANY student's don't get in their first time - meh. Perseverance is part of medicine, no?

Reactions: Justtheworst

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Why medicine? Is it the clinical care, the opportunity to teach or the opportunity to make scientific discoveries?

There are other clinical roles that you could consider such as optometry, podiatry, nurse-midwife, PA, NP, genetic counseling, physical or occupational therapy, clinical psychologist, etc.
Teaching is self-explanatory.
Research can be in an academic setting or a corporate setting (pharm development, etc)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Technical writing
Teaching
Research lab tech/mgr
Hospital tech
Clinical tech (Xray, pulmonary, microbiol etc)
Sales rep
Tech support
Product development
Part time tutoring

Jun 19, 2015
With a science background, you could become a consultant. McKinsey/Bain is the equivalent of top tier med schools in the consulting world, but there are multitudes of smaller national and boutique firms throughout the country that need people with the ability to speak science. It's my one of my long-term backup plans in case I can never get into medical school.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Academia if you enjoy research and teaching in a field you have interest in

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
become a consultant in healthcare. Why?
1. You don't have to work standing for a majority of time
2. You get to wear good clothes and may not have to take a bath 2 times a day
2. Your pay can act as pretty good savings
3. You get healthcare business knowledge that very few physicians get to know

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok? I'm merely stating what I would do - not sure why your comments are necessary haha
Of course they're not necessary. That's mostly why they're written.

I would have a biochemistry degree, which is a little more applicable for stuff like forensic science, clinical labs, and industry. I would probably do something in one of those fields, with research as well, hopefully
My co-worker got a industry job offer for 80k making drugs for dogs. I was like "Wtf" and he was like "I know dude but hey it's good money." Can't argue with that, I guess.

Point is you might end up doing something completely out there in order to find reasonably paid employment.

Highschool teaching hands down.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
become a consultant in healthcare. Why?
1. You don't have to work standing for a majority of time
2. You get to wear good clothes and may not have to take a bath 2 times a day
2. Your pay can act as pretty good savings
3. You get healthcare business knowledge that very few physicians get to know
Yeah, good luck getting a job as a consultant in healthcare without being either a physician, having a history as a CNO, CFA, CEO, CAO, or a graduate of an Ivy.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, good luck getting a job as a consultant in healthcare without being either a physician, having a history as a CNO, CFA, CEO, CAO, or a graduate of an Ivy.
Yeah....this has been discussed before ad nauseum. And I think you were in several of those discussions, actually.

"So yeah like....don't really wanna do residency anymore. Can I just consult for the rest of my life?"

Sure. Side job at a medi-spa.

Living the dream.

Reactions: Mad Jack

Womb Raider

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Open up a bar in the BVIs. Scuba, sail and drink til I die of liver failure.

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
my school is non-Ivy but prestigious nevertheless. Most of my friends have received consultant jobs and they didn't have a shoe-in situation like you are implying. They applied all over the country starting august of the year before they were supposed to start. I think the difference is being aware how time-consuming this process is and how you need to prepare. This is why I want the OP to decide earnestly and in time before it is too late.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
my school is non-Ivy but prestigious nevertheless. Most of my friends have received consultant jobs and they didn't have a shoe-in situation like you are implying. They applied all over the country starting august of the year before they were supposed to start. I think the difference is being aware how time-consuming this process is and how you need to prepare. This is why I want the OP to decide earnestly and in time before it is too late.
There's a big difference between a well-paid consultant and a poorly paid consultant. Your pedigree makes that difference.

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
There's a big difference between a well-paid consultant and a poorly paid consultant. Your pedigree makes that difference.
I'd not complain and make it seem consultants from a certain pedigree earn more....I really dislike that you have to say that X school is better than Y just so you can make an excuse for not planning ahead. In fact X school students are smart enough to not only go after a health-business degree but also obtain a double degree in business while interning the summer before they plan to obtain a job. Clearly this is hard work and connections follow thereafter. This formula can be applied to any person that has perseverance.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-management-consultants-make-so-much-2013-11
I'd not complain and make it seem consultants from a certain pedigree earn more....I really dislike that you have to say that X school is better than Y just so you can make an excuse for not planning ahead. In fact X school students are smart enough to not only go after a health-business degree but also obtain a double degree in business while interning the summer before they plan to obtain a job. Clearly this is hard work and connections follow thereafter. This formula can be applied to any person that has perseverance.
Your pedigree matters dude. The big firms hire people from Ivies because their clients know their junior consultants do the bulk of the work, so they want to give the impression of hiring the best and the brightest. Can you become a junior consultant from a no-name undergrad? Yeah, after years of work experience or obtaining a top MBA. You ain't doing it out of undergrad from Podunk U, or after an MBA from Nowhere State.