What to do IF you don't get in AGAIN???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BushBaby

Nipplelina
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
???

THis is my second application cycle with three MCATS. I have given little thought to NOT getting but I am not trying to depress myself right now. I just want to be (+) and wish for the best, but a part of can't think of the "what if". I mean I don't want to apply AGAIN..besides some schools tell you NOT to apply more than twice to their program.

I also wanted to apply to DO school to cover all ground but I am soo slacky on that note because I have no DO to write me a LOR and because of this I am afraid the DO ADCOM will see application as "another MD wanna-be who didn't get into any MD but now wants to try DO". And I don't want to apply if I will be viewed that way...

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you! I am in the same situation, three MCATs, second application - the fear of not getting in is dreadful. I honestly don't know what I would do. I thought long and hard about what else last year when the rejections started rolling in. This year, I think at first I would cry, then explore other options. I would definitely consider applying to DO, joining the Peace Corps, or just continuing with my current job.

Definitely think about it because I was asked this at a recent interview!

this is my back-up plan (it may not work for you if you hate research...): at my school, like many, we have a biomedical sciences PhD program. if you are a warm body with good grades and you speak audible english-you're in! i could even continue with the same profs in either of the labs i work in now. chances are, taking the pre-med required courses will give you a good enough science background to start (and if you have research experience, even better!). besides, you'll be studying essentially the same stuff in your first two years that med students do, the only difference is when they ship off to hospitals, you head to a lab (this may turn a lot of people off--i personally enjoy lab work).

practically speaking, you'll likely be done with your post-doc fellowships at the same time or before the meds finish their residencies, and assuming you don't stay in academia, you'll make a six-figure salary all your life with less than half the headache of non-compliant patients and beligerant (sp?) insurance companies!

i know people are reluctant to be "trapped in a lab" all their lives, but working for a drug company or the government is a stable, well-paying, socially significant career that deserves some thought.

not a bad option as far as i'm concerned. good luck--may none of us need our back-up plans!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for you... The last time you applied, did you call the schools that rejected you and ask for a rejection counseling session to find out why they rejected you and what you could do to improve your application?

I know a bunch of schools will meet with you in person after May or on the phone and discuss your application.

Originally posted by RedHeadKiddo

Definitely think about it because I was asked this at a recent interview!

What was your response?

Originally posted by BushBaby
What was your response?

Essentially what I posted. That I have put a lot of thought into it due to last year and I know that medicine perfectly combines all my interests, but if I didn't get in again I would likely do some volunteer work to kinda "rediscover" myself. It was well received and heart felt...I think it is important to make sure your response is true to you and honest.

Originally posted by RedHeadKiddo
Essentially what I posted. That I have put a lot of thought into it due to last year and I know that medicine perfectly combines all my interests, but if I didn't get in again I would likely do some volunteer work to kinda "rediscover" myself. It was well received and heart felt...I think it is important to make sure your response is true to you and honest.

I was always kinda scared of this question and I was asked this during my last interview a few weeks back. Luckily my response was along the lines of my being fed-up of not getting but and I wish NOT to repeat the process but medicine is what I want and something in me will get up and try again regardless.

Afterwards I spoke to a guy on the committee (I had emailed him months before soliciting him for an interview invite and he said when I get one I should stop by to say Hi, so I was taking him up on his offer)...and he told me that he sees that I am passionate about attending medical school and that I gave a good answer (to my interviewer...who he briefly spoke to) when asked what I would do if I didn't get in because some applicants say they will pursue other things...(he saw that as them giving up on their dreams, if you want this bad enough you will never give up).

Originally posted by Amy B
Question for you... The last time you applied, did you call the schools that rejected you and ask for a rejection counseling session to find out why they rejected you and what you could do to improve your application?

I know a bunch of schools will meet with you in person after May or on the phone and discuss your application.

I didn't call the schools but I knew plain and clear that it was my mcat. I spoke to one dean at a school that waitlisted me, regarding my chances of an acceptance and he said I need to bring my mcat up because my chances with that score were slim.

???
I also wanted to apply to DO school to cover all ground but I am soo slacky on that note because I have no DO to write me a LOR and because of this I am afraid the DO ADCOM will see application as "another MD wanna-be who didn't get into any MD but now wants to try DO". And I don't want to apply if I will be viewed that way...

Dude,

This would be a mistake. I had all MD recommendations, I got into KCOM no problem. You could even still apply this year to AACOMAS...hence more possibilities for this year.

how about Foreign schools? they accept just about everyone. surely you can get into that. and they give out "MD"s. not that it really matters to me.

Bushbaby is a classic example of the applicant I portrayed in my thread "For those that reapply to only allopathic schools" in this forum.

Originally posted by Insert
Bushbaby is a classic example of the applicant I portrayed in my thread "For those that reapply to only allopathic schools" in this forum.

hey if I am going to be the "poster child" for your thread then I require some monetary compensation.

hey if I am going to be the "poster child" for your thread then I require some monetary compensation.
I guess you're going to need the extra money for reapplying. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Insert
I guess you're going to need the extra money for reapplying. :)

Nah uh...I am NOT reapplying. I am getting in this year...better believe it. I've had enough reapplying to last me a life time.

Nah uh...I am NOT reapplying. I am getting in this year...better believe it. I've had enough reapplying to last me a life time.
That's good. More power to you.

Well I don't have to worry about re-applying...I got in!!!!:clap:

Same here. After the $$$$$$$$$ I wasted last yr, its so worth it. I got in earlier this week!!
Dont give up hope, if u want it, you'll get it, patience is key y'all!!!!!
Share the drinks Bushbaby!!!! :D

repost

Congratulations! Your persistence paid off :D .

repost

The acceptance was already there, u felt it in ur heart! :D

I'd grow a mullet. I have no idea why.

apply-to-sackler-in-israel-or-schools-in-poland

Try beer:

It is the cause and the solution to all of the world's problems.

Coops

apply to sacker if you are lucky and get in you will have no problem getting back in the USA its 100percent pass rate as they have higher standards that many USA SCHOOLS AND ITS 100PERCENT IN ENGLISH--

http://med.tau.ac.il/ny/the_school.htm