What to do if you don't get in your first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fearishmv

Dentalish
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not received information from all of the schools that I applied to but, I would like to have all the bases covered. Any advice on what one can do with the extra time between application cycles. I have already obtained double degrees in Neuroscience and Biology and a minor in English Literature. I am currently conducting independent neuroscience research that will be published at the end of the semester and will have the opportunity to work in a dental lab. But what to do after that....? Other ideas?!

fearishmv

Members don't see this ad.

fearishmv said:
I have not received information from all of the schools that I applied to but, I would like to have all the bases covered. Any advice on what one can do with the extra time between application cycles. I have already obtained double degrees in Neuroscience and Biology and a minor in English Literature. I am currently conducting independent neuroscience research that will be published at the end of the semester and will have the opportunity to work in a dental lab. But what to do after that....? Other ideas?!

fearishmv

damn you sound like a good candidate, hmm think of what you need to improve dat's, gpa, extracurriculars, community work? :confused:

Yeah, you sound like a smartie! Did you apply late, or do you have a low GPA? What's the scoop? It's hard to give meaningful advice unless we know more about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed the application late July '04. My Science GPA is a 3.02, Literature GPA 3.68, Overall 3.52. My DAT scores are: AA 15, PA 17, QR 14, RC 22, BIO 16, GC 14, OC 16. I know that there are areas that need improvement, so I enrolled in a KAPLAN course that will conclude in April. The rest of my application included award winning sketches and I was class president of my college class 2 years in a row etc. The extracurricular and community service activities are there as well. I also worked in a dental lab for 4 months. What gives?! Any advice would be great. Thanks for the help!

fearishmv said:
I completed the application late July '04. My Science GPA is a 3.02, Literature GPA 3.68, Overall 3.52. My DAT scores are: AA 15, PA 17, QR 14, RC 22, BIO 16, GC 14, OC 16. I know that there are areas that need improvement, so I enrolled in a KAPLAN course that will conclude in April. The rest of my application included award winning sketches and I was class president of my college class 2 years in a row etc. The extracurricular and community service activities are there as well. I also worked in a dental lab for 4 months. What gives?! Any advice would be great. Thanks for the help!

No offense, but it looks like you didn't study for the exam the first time around. The Kaplan review should help you out.

Retake the DAT (do well) and with your extracurriculars you're likely to be a highly desireable candidate.

delicious said:
Yeah, you sound like a smartie! Did you apply late, or do you have a low GPA? What's the scoop? It's hard to give meaningful advice unless we know more about you.

Since when did stanford have a dental school

you're right on DMD hopeful. I really didn't study mouch outside of the PAT realm. I'm on it now. TO keep my bases covered, any recommend on what to do for students that do not get in this applicant cycle?

dWiz said:
Since when did stanford have a dental school

Maybe you should have read between the parentheses...

jdcinza13 said:
Maybe you should have read between the parentheses...
:thumbup:

Grief, you've got some super things going on with your app from what you said here :) Your major sounds like some tough stuff...you go with that!! Take a vacation :) Explore other interests...reapply, yeah...but it's a great chance to do all the things you might not get to do, or do as frequently, in Dschool