What to do if you haven't heard back yet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimdude600

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate questions already posted somewhere else in this forum, but I did my best to search for the answer. My concern is that I have been complete at the majority (20-ish) of the medical schools I have applied to since early September. Unfortunately, I have only heard back from about 8 schools, with three interviews. I was wondering if it was appropriate to call or email schools to check on the status of my application and somehow hint at the possibility of an interview? I just don't wanna miss out on a possible interview by being passive instead of proactive. Anybody in the same position or have any good advice. I appreciate guys and again, I'm sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Good luck to the rest of you in the rest of the season.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if it was appropriate to call or email schools to check on the status of my application and somehow hint at the possibility of an interview?
It's completely appropriate unless the med school stated you couldn't do it. Some want you to call on only a certain day of the week, so check on that. Ask if your file is complete: you may find that some essential item has gone astray. If you get a postive on completeness, ask the status of your file. And then when will the status be reconsidered. I wouldn't NOT ask if you in line to get an interview offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send an email addressed to the dean or director of admissions ASAP stating why you are a good fit for the school, why you would like an interview, and a brief update on your activities since last June. Can't hurt.

These are great points of advice guys. Thank you. Do you think I should call first and then send an email? I think this would emphasize my enthusiasm and expedite the decision process.

a friend of mine not only sent multiple emails to his dream school, but also had other people he was connected with send emails on his behalf. he ended up getting an interview on their last possible day of interviews, and the admissions director sought him out on that day saying she wanted to meet him because he was so proactive.