What to do if your interviewer won't stop talking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miss chievous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I've had two of my interviewers talk for about 80% of the time. For example.

Them: What do you think about Obamacare?
Me: 2-3 minute response
Them: 12-15 minute ramble about their opinion.

For my most recent interview, he only had time to ask me two questions! One about Obamacare, and one ethical question. I talked for about 7 minutes. He easily talked for a half hour. What do you do in these kinds of situations? At first I thought it was good, but now I'm realizing that he has no real idea of who I am (especially since it was a closed file interview). If I messed up either one of those two questions, that's all he'll remember me by! Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell him to shut up

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My dad always told me that everyone's favorite topic is themselves. If you let people talk about their favorite topic, there's a good chance they'll like you.

Reactions: 4 users
Pull a Kanye.

Reactions: 4 users
So far, I've had two of my interviewers talk for about 80% of the time. For example.

Them: What do you think about Obamacare?
Me: 2-3 minute response
Them: 12-15 minute ramble about their opinion.

For my most recent interview, he only had time to ask me two questions! One about Obamacare, and one ethical question. I talked for about 7 minutes. He easily talked for a half hour. What do you do in these kinds of situations? At first I thought it was good, but now I'm realizing that he has no real idea of who I am (especially since it was a closed file interview). If I messed up either one of those two questions, that's all he'll remember me by! Thoughts?
Was your interview at USC? Because I had an interview just like that... closed file as well...waitlisted

My dad always told me that everyone's favorite topic is themselves. If you let people talk about their favorite topic, there's a good chance they'll like you.

+1 :D

If the interviewer is goes on a long speech, relax, smile, listen, nod, and ask a few intelligent questions based on what they talked about. You will show that you can pay attention to others and that you are thoughtful about the things you hear. The interviewer will walk away with a general good feeling and your thoughtful questions will give them something concrete to praise in their report. Plus, all that extra times gives you a chance to think of something interesting to say about yourself given the context of your conversation.

Reactions: 2 users
Try saying something awkwardly offensive, that should cut down on their banter.

But seriously, unless you had more questions that you felt you didn't get to ask because of this I'm not sure what the problem is -- at least if we compare the problem of an awkwardly quiet interview.

+1 :D

If the interviewer is goes on a long speech, relax, smile, listen, nod, and ask a few intelligent questions based on what they talked about. You will show that you can pay attention to others and that you are thoughtful about the things you hear. The interviewer will walk away with a general good feeling and your thoughtful questions will give them something concrete to praise in their report. Plus, all that extra times gives you a chance to think of something interesting to say about yourself given the context of your conversation.

^This.

I had one of these kinds of interviewers. He would ask me questions and before I could respond, he would end up answering them for me. I just spent the whole time being a good listener, throwing a few remarks and questions here and there, and keeping it conversational. I mean, not all conversations are 50-50 right? It was actually kind of nice to just sit back and relax. If anything, you'll be remembered as someone who is engaging, listens well, and easy to talk to.

Oh, and though it's only an anecdotal example, I ended up being accepted if that makes you feel better. Good luck!

Not always, but an interviewer who talks/rambles a lot is a good sign... usually they like you. And, you don't even have to do any work! Just smile and nod... Don't give them a reason to change their mind by saying something that could change their opinion.

Three of my times talking with ramblers (all were really old male doctors), they all seemed to like me. That being said, one turned into a waitlist (may have been for other reasons).

Pull a Kanye.

0S3wPG6.gif

:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user