What to do in a 4 year gap between undergrad and vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cucullaris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating undergrad this May, and after that I will live in a city without a vet school for at least four years due to my fiance attending medical school. I would still like to attend vet school somewhere down the line, though. What is an ideal job I should be looking at? I was thinking vet tech, but I believe I would have to go to school for a few years to be certified. I don't know if it would be worth it to only get two years of work out of two years of schooling.

Another factor is that I would like to have children in the next few years, so I would need some job flexibility to do that. I would love to be a full time mom for the first year of my child's life, but I'm wondering if I can make that work with my aspirations for vet school.

The gap could easily turn into 8 years, and I would be ok with that as well if vet school was still a possibility afterwards. I would appreciate any advice about what the best course of action would be.

Members don't see this ad.

Something to consider, some schools require all your pre-reqs be done within 6 years of being accepted to Vet School. You may end up re-taking some classes.

I'll let others answer the rest.

In my state, you can get a tech license without going to tech school if you have a science related Bachelor's degree...you just have to get some hours and take the test. I'd look into that

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, that would be really nice. I'm getting a BA in Biology. I'm going to be working in Texas, by the way. It appears you need a degree in specifically vet technology from a AVMA accredited school.

Oh, that would be really nice. I'm getting a BA in Biology. I'm going to be working in Texas, by the way. It appears you need a degree in specifically vet technology from a AVMA accredited school.

Texas is also not too picky with the laws. Different clinics have different preferences too, but I've worked in places that allowed quite a bit to be done while working as a tech but without being a registered veterinary technician.

Thanks, that's good to know. Are these jobs that would be advertised as veterinary technician positions, but might accept non registered applicants?

Thanks, that's good to know. Are these jobs that would be advertised as veterinary technician positions, but might accept non registered applicants?

Yes. Generally they'll specify in the ad to say whether they want an RVT or not. Some will say it's required, others may say it's not but maybe preferred. However, I will say, if you don't have any experience working as a technician before you might have a hard time finding a job as an unregistered tech. Certainly possible, but it is also a possibility that you would have to start as an assistant or kennel worker and work up to a promotion; it's a lot of effort to train a new person, vastly more so if they don't have any prior experience, and techs are responsible for handling a lot of things.

I took 5 years in between undergrad and vet school. Worked in research for a year, tried to start a business, traveled to multiple continents and countries, played in some bands and did shows up and down the East Coast, worked as a cook/tutor/server/laboratory "healthy" volunteer/shelter animal tech/veterinary assistant, and then did lots of other stuff I shouldn't post on the internet. My best advice is to have fun and enjoy your break from school while making money. I'm so glad I didn't go straight from a 3-year or 4-year program into vet school because my 20s were awesome and I didn't spend much of them worried about loans or exams, and I still got into vet school later on after finishing up a prereq at a community college.

Reactions: 1 user
I took 5 years in between undergrad and vet school. Worked in research for a year, tried to start a business, traveled to multiple continents and countries, played in some bands and did shows up and down the East Coast, worked as a cook/tutor/server/laboratory "healthy" volunteer/shelter animal tech/veterinary assistant, and then did lots of other stuff I shouldn't post on the internet. My best advice is to have fun and enjoy your break from school while making money. I'm so glad I didn't go straight from a 3-year or 4-year program into vet school because my 20s were awesome and I didn't spend much of them worried about loans or exams, and I still got into vet school later on after finishing up a prereq at a community college.

+1

I made a solid chunk of money, drank a lot of wine, spent lovely time with my husband and while working for biotech for 5 years. Plus spent some of that money on luxurious vacations and frivolous things you can't have in vet school.

I think whatever you do just try to keep one hand in vet med whether it's volunteering or working.

You guys are telling me exactly what I wanted to hear.

I am 4 years graduated and though I have not been accepted yet (just interviewed). I will tell you I applied right out of college and was waitlisted and it was the best thing that ever happened to me! I have a family, a nice (realiable) car, and a lot less debt because I have been paying on it for four years!

I know I personally have felt as though i am stronger than i was 4 years ago and therefore more "up" to the challenge. I worked 2 years in territory management of finishing hogs and i am now a territory rep for a feed company. It has allowed me to see the industry that i want to work in and truely develop an understanding of what a production animal vet does day to day and see the 30,000 foot view.

Good luck!

Productive gaps are great! I have a 6 year gap, but I did a great many useful things during that time and don't regret it. I did go back to school part time for my vet tech license while working, and that was worth while for sure bc I don't think I'd be a very good applicant this year without the experience it brought me. I am a sucker for school though, so if it's not your cup of tea, then maaaaybe skip that part!

I also had a 4-ish year gap. I worked three jobs throughout undergrad (don't do that) so my GPA is lower than the average. The experiences that I've gained are really what I'm banking on.

Get a number of different experiences. Work with different species, different clinics and different fields(like biomedical or lab animal vs straight SA). Volunteer places, go overseas for an animal expedition. Also, strive to be in a leadership role. Classes are good too, as long as they're upper level/worth talking about.

You've got time, and time is on your side!

Work with different species, different clinics and different fields(like biomedical or lab animal vs straight SA).

What is straight SA?

So you advise leaving a job and looking for a new experience every year or so, rather than sticking with one job for as long as possible. I was thinking it might look good to see something through and stick with it.

What is straight SA?

So you advise leaving a job and looking for a new experience every year or so, rather than sticking with one job for as long as possible. I was thinking it might look good to see something through and stick with it.

I don't think they were meaning to quit and look for another job but just keep your eyes open for different things to do. Maybe work at one place and volunteer at a place that deals with a different area of vet med or animals. I think vet schools are looking for breadth and depth of animal and vet experience. Not just working at a small animal (SA) for four years and never shadowing or working with other types of animals like large animals, exotics, food, lab, wildlife, etc :).

I am graduating undergrad this May, and after that I will live in a city without a vet school for at least four years due to my fiance attending medical school. I would still like to attend vet school somewhere down the line, though. What is an ideal job I should be looking at? I was thinking vet tech, but I believe I would have to go to school for a few years to be certified. I don't know if it would be worth it to only get two years of work out of two years of schooling.

Another factor is that I would like to have children in the next few years, so I would need some job flexibility to do that. I would love to be a full time mom for the first year of my child's life, but I'm wondering if I can make that work with my aspirations for vet school.

The gap could easily turn into 8 years, and I would be ok with that as well if vet school was still a possibility afterwards. I would appreciate any advice about what the best course of action would be.
We have someone in our class that is 40 and has 4 kids......however she has a husband that can help with the children. It is not an easy road if you do it that way but it is not impossible.

We have someone in our class that is 40 and has 4 kids......however she has a husband that can help with the children. It is not an easy road if you do it that way but it is not impossible.

I hear there is someone on SDN who goes to vet school and is 43 with 3 kids. ;)