What to do in Gap Year between M3 and M4? Is this possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A-poor-student

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am writing because my husband will be taking an ortho research year between M3 and M4. And we are currently in the same year and want to match together so I will be also taking a gap year, I want to know some options that are not research years. I really wanna explore my options but still do something productive. I still got time to decided.

Currently, some specialties I am interested in are Obgyn, psych, or IM.

I was thinking of an MPH but I don't know if it possible in a year and my school doesn't offer it

What other options do I have?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Research year (which I know you already said not interested)

Many medical schools have an extra anatomy year, spend time in the Anatomy lab helping 1st years

Some medical schools allow you to split your 4th year into two years, and get more clinical electives.

Find a job internship -- work at a drug company, consultant firm, etc, for a year.

Get another degree - MPH, MBA

Does splitting 4th year will hurt greatly my chances to match?

We really don't care about prestige, we just want a residency in our chosen fields

Members don't see this ad :)
Other degrees are very possible. MPH, MS, MBA etc. lots of people do it.

Otherwise it’s usually research.

I also knew a guy who did 2 gap years where he worked in investment banking. Another who did a masters degree in London and did global health work. They matched crazy good. As long as you’re able to form a cohesive narrative it’s all good.

If your school allows it, it would not affect your match in any way. You'd say in your application that you did it to remain aligned with your partner for the couple's match. No one will care.

Reactions: 2 users
My school offers paid year long “fellowships” in curricular development. Basically you work with admin to improve medical education serving on a committee, maybe do some QI work etc.

I think we also have stand alone QI grants, which I guess you could consider “research” but more collaborative.

Do anyone know any one year mph program that accepts student from other schools. Cause all I see are programs that you need to attend that school for

You could also just stay on schedule and apply only to areas that also have a large number of ortho programs. Then, your husband will know where to apply and can tailor his application to programs in that area.

You could also just stay on schedule and apply only to areas that also have a large number of ortho programs. Then, your husband will know where to apply and can tailor his application to programs in that area.
That sounds amazing we will totally try it.

What do you think about an online MPH so I can be with my husband during his research year

That sounds amazing we will totally try it.

What do you think about an online MPH so I can be with my husband during his research year

Honestly, as an older-than-you woman who had to prove she was serious about a career, it tells me that you put yours on hold for a year to stay close to your husband. I might suspect you would sacrifice your career in the future if push came to shove between your career and his, or even raising a family and your career.

If that's truly how you feel - that his career is more important than yours - then you should act accordingly. If that's not how you feel, you both (him too) need to come up with the solution that's best for both of you.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Do anyone know any one year mph program that accepts student from other schools. Cause all I see are programs that you need to attend that school for
Pretty sure Harvard has one like this. Would not be an easy year but probably you'd learn a ton and get an application boost for residency.

Pretty sure Harvard has one like this. Would not be an easy year but probably you'd learn a ton and get an application boost for residency.

They do. From my institution everyone that applies get it. It’s a pretty big class each year. Take a shot at it if it is an interest. Just keep in mind the really filter for future leaders in this program if your app screams just tryna pass some time you won’t be successful in getting in. (Think Berkeley has one too, though idk if it’s just a hook up with local Med schools).

Thank you so much, how hard is to get accepted in one of this program? JHSPH one really call my attention

Probably less difficult than being accepted to med school? I applied to MPH programs years ago and was accepted to the 3 to which I applied (JH, Harvard, and Berkeley). The cost was the main barrier in terms of dissuading me from going at that time.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, how hard is to get accepted in one of this program? JHSPH one really call my attention

For the Med students I know, it seems like everyone that wanted one got one. Often time they review MD students’ app separate and often before the general app pool. You also get the benefit of the doubt with standardized exams being an M3 and most don’t ask for scores, some do it after acceptance as part of the matriculation process.

As above poster mentioned, cost will be significant. Anywhere for $15-50k. And add to that the cost to live somewhere else for a year if not online. This might be a good time with COVID to avoid the costs of a move and rent for a year in a new place temporarily.

Holy **** no do not do this.

You are setting yourself up to be apart for residency if you do this.

If your husband is applying ortho, and you are not couples matching with him, it is very very likely, more likely than not, that you will not end up in the same place. Ortho is extremely competitive and no city has more than, what, 3 programs? The match can be a crapshoot

Do NOT do this unless you don't mind the idea of being apart. Do the Couples match.

FWIW, I just couples matched successfully into Surgery.
I repeat, do NOT take this advice.

Reactions: 1 users