what to do in holidays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
i just got done with finals. i am international student and my family is not here. i study a lot during the semester and now have nothing to do. i am a jnuior but won't be taking mcat till aug.
what are you pre-meds doing in break?
i am getting tired of doing nothing.
i might start reading books to help for mcat verbal.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

arminshivazad said:
hi guys
i just got done with finals. i am international student and my family is not here. i study a lot during the semester and now have nothing to do. i am a jnuior but won't be taking mcat till aug.

thanks

Take a break - you have a lot ahead of you for the next 8 months! Chilling out during break/intersession was one of the best decisions I made last year. You could read books/magazines to get you in the writing mood. Read some stuff you'll enjoy or is relevant to interview discussion. Also, I suggest you could lightly read some of the mcat science review books. no full blown studying, though. just to familarize yourself w/ the material.

Yeah dude definitely take it easy. Sleep 10 hours a day, work out, play xbox, mindlessly surf the internet. Even the hardest workers have to take a few week long breaks every once in a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
arminshivazad said:
hi guys

thanks

Go out with some of your friends---or go meet some new people (in the case that everyone you know went home for the holidays-which it sounds like)...if you live in a big city, go around town....there are lots of little 'hole in the wall' places that you can find...volunteer--LOTS of places can use help at this time (not on xmas or xmas eve--those days are going to prolly be full of help)... whatever you do, dont lock yourself up for weeks- that will only make you depressed :(

I, for one, will be going home for a week or so...do family/friend things---

As far as 'pre-med' stuff...
--start mcat review (taking test in april)
--type a letter for shadowing
--find another place to volunteer (I dont like one place that I am at...)
--look up research at my university (so I can talk to professors when I get back)
-------I will most likely not start/complete all of these things, but that's my 'to do' list

arminshivazad said:
hi guys

thanks

Start studying for the mcat. Especially practice your english. Do what you can for the verbal. Get comfortable reading english quickly and picking out subtleties.
Take it in April. Absolutely take it in april unless you want to wait a year to apply.

When I was in college, I spent winter break working (spring semester book $$$!), but I also hung out with friends and family, went on vacation, slept alot.

Since it sounds like you need to entertain yourself, try some activites that are fun even on your own:

-go to lots of movies
-buy some cool books and read them at a nearby cafe (less depressing than staying home to read all day).
-check out some museums
-go to the theater, the ballet, or the symphony. Get student-rush tickets.
-read the weekend section of the local paper and go to the random fairs, festivals, shows, concerts, etc. that are listed.
-take a road trip and visit each of your buddies at their homes for a couple of days each. You'll get to have fun, and eat their mom's cooking without being a pain because you won't stay long at each place. If you don't have a car, or they live far away from your school, this could be expensive though.
-or just sit in your room, play video games, watch tv, and eat takeout. Vegging out can be good for a short period of time (but I wouldn' t advise this if your break is a full month).

Thundrstorm said:
-or just sit in your room, play video games, watch tv, and eat takeout. Vegging out can be good for a short period of time (but I wouldn' t advise this if your break is a full month).

hell, why not!! it'll be his last chance in life to do that!

solitude said:
Yeah dude definitely take it easy. Sleep 10 hours a day, work out, play xbox, mindlessly surf the internet. Even the hardest workers have to take a few week long breaks every once in a while.

Go party, drink some, and find someone special you can spend holidays with.

Refer to the Persian Pre-meds thread for some more fun ideas!