What to do in my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteningStrike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am finishing up my fifth year as an undergrad with a major in biology and chemistry and a minor in accounting. I just applied to medical school but now I am considering applying to dental school.

If I stick with applying to dental school, I will have a gap year while I wait to hear from the schools I apply to. During that time I was thinking I could dental assist to increase my level of experience.

What are your thoughts pre-dents?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is nothing wrong with a gap year, granted you are able to pick up studying again after being out of the game for so long. I have applied to D schools and am currently in a gap year. Right now I am dental assisting once a week and substitute teaching for my job. It's not a bad set up!

I have taken 3 gap years, worked at the NIH as a post-bacc researcher for 2 years, and am just shadowing and dental assisting this year. If you want to look into research I'd recommend the NIH IRTA program. There is a dental branch NIDCR that is really interesting, but also feel free to explore other institutes. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am finishing up my fifth year as an undergrad with a major in biology and chemistry and a minor in accounting. I just applied to medical school but now I am considering applying to dental school.

If I stick with applying to dental school, I will have a gap year while I wait to hear from the schools I apply to. During that time I was thinking I could dental assist to increase my level of experience.

Thanks.
If your GPAs and DAT are on point, then what youre thinking to do would be very good for your app. Dont forget some schools may ask you why the switch, so prepare a good answer.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just amazed with the way trends are working nowadays. My impression is that many are leaving medicine for dentistry now more than ever. I expect dental school admissions to be crazy hard in 10 years. Or perhaps with the influx of dental students, the oversaturation may crumble dentistry until everybody leaves dentistry for medicine or something and the cycle repeats lol Or maybe this view is a bit extreme.

I'm just amazed with the way trends are working nowadays. My impression is that many are leaving medicine for dentistry now more than ever. I expect dental school admissions to be crazy hard in 10 years. Or perhaps with the influx of dental students, the oversaturation may crumble dentistry until everybody leaves dentistry for medicine or something and the cycle repeats lol Or maybe this view is a bit extreme.
Your view is a bit extreme but understandable. Only time will tell what happens

Last edited:
I do believe you will learn a lot of dental procedures and dental experience through working as dental assisstance. But, if you can find a job position for dental lab technician, it would be better for you. While you are working at dental lab, you will learn how to make a denture, crown, and all of other things you will learn during your dental school lab. So, I would recommend you to find a job as dental lab technician rather than dental assisstance. Good luck@!!

I do believe you will learn a lot of dental procedures and dental experience through working as dental assisstance. But, if you can find a job position for dental lab technician, it would be better for you. While you are working at dental lab, you will learn how to make a denture, crown, and all of other things you will learn during your dental school lab. So, I would recommend you to find a job as dental lab technician rather than dental assisstance. Good luck@!!

Thank you. That is good advice to have. Is there a certification required to become one or can most labs train you on the spot?

If your GPAs and DAT are on point, then what youre thinking to do would be very good for your app. Dont forget some schools may ask you why the switch, so prepare a good answer.

Trust me I have thought about that. My genuine reason for the switch is that my sister is a current 2nd year. Over the course of her first year I would hear about what she was doing and how school was and that really inspired me to try dental.

Thank you. That is good advice to have. Is there a certification required to become one or can most labs train you on the spot?
You don't need to have a certification to become a lab technician. But, they prefer to find someone who can work for long terms because it requires experience. Good luck!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
I say work anywhere, live with your parents, save up money and go on a big vacation abroad and live life to smell the roses. I have a very strong opinion about not completely sacrificing our 20's especially because as soon as we're out of dental most of us will go right into full time work to pay off loans for many years to come. When will you get a chance to really let loose and explore any part of the world? When I look back I'll be happy I worked hard to become a dentist but I'll also be regretful that my 20's was the spriteliest I'd ever be and I was just doing nothing but trying to get into dental school.

Reactions: 1 user