What to do in my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakers2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing a pharm tech job for my gap year. Have you looked into that as an option?

I'm doing a pharm tech job for my gap year. Have you looked into that as an option?
I have not. I was thinking of a job with patient interaction, but I can see that pharmacy tech would be more safer during the pandemic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I meant to say not as much as CNA. I may be wrong. Can you tell me a little more about being a pharmacy tech and what you get to do?

A little google search for you...it's a very busy job

• Supporting pharmacological services by assembling, stocking and distributing medications
  • Maintaining records by recording and filing the prescriptions and orders of Physicians
  • Sorting, stocking and labeling medications and monitoring inventory
  • Responding to the requests of patients and healthcare providers, answering their questions and referring various inquiries to the Pharmacist
  • Complying with rules, regulations and procedures to help maintain a clean and safe pharmacy, such as by sterilizing equipment and surfaces
  • Processing prescriptions electronically and ensuring all information is accurate and complete
  • Generating revenues by recording, calculating and issuing charges
  • Undertaking administrative tasks such as record-keeping as assigned by a Physician or facility manager from time to time

Was never a CNA but I am a PCT. Essentially the same responsibilities. You will get incredible patient care experience/patient interaction. Correct me if I am wrong, but the difference between patient interaction between a pharm tech and a CNA is very different. I may be biased, but I think no other job offers more patient interaction than that of a CNA/PCT.

@lakers2020 COVID precautions involving wearing a hospital mask and goggles/face shield when with coworkers to prevent transmission based on hospital policy. However, most of the time you will not find goggles/face shields on regular staff that are working their twelve hours. Then again, California could be different as their patient ratios are heavily regulated which reduces fatigue and stress.

When it comes to dealing with rule out cases or patients with COVID this is an N-95 mask/face shield (goggles)/hospital gown/gloves. In specialized units that tend to deal a lot with acute COVID cases, they often offer surgical scrubs to change into while working that unit and then allow you to change back into the scrubs you came in with before returning home. However, these are fringe cases.

It's sort of indisputable that working as a CNA brings you very close to patients as you feed them, clean them, ambulate them, and listen to them when they can't sleep at night. There is an element of care that comes with working as a pharmacy technician, but dealing with RxConnect, prior authorizations, counting pills, and bagging medications which can be considered important in the patient care process is not the same type of primary care experience as handling that same person's urine and feces when they've been unable to move from their hospital bed for an entire week.

A little google search for you...it's a very busy job

• Supporting pharmacological services by assembling, stocking and distributing medications
  • Maintaining records by recording and filing the prescriptions and orders of Physicians
  • Sorting, stocking and labeling medications and monitoring inventory
  • Responding to the requests of patients and healthcare providers, answering their questions and referring various inquiries to the Pharmacist
  • Complying with rules, regulations and procedures to help maintain a clean and safe pharmacy, such as by sterilizing equipment and surfaces
  • Processing prescriptions electronically and ensuring all information is accurate and complete
  • Generating revenues by recording, calculating and issuing charges
  • Undertaking administrative tasks such as record-keeping as assigned by a Physician or facility manager from time to time
Thanks for the info! Very busy indeed

Was never a CNA but I am a PCT. Essentially the same responsibilities. You will get incredible patient care experience/patient interaction. Correct me if I am wrong, but the difference between patient interaction between a pharm tech and a CNA is very different. I may be biased, but I think no other job offers more patient interaction than that of a CNA/PCT.
Looks like CNA is the way to go!

@lakers2020 COVID precautions involving wearing a hospital mask and goggles/face shield when with coworkers to prevent transmission based on hospital policy. However, most of the time you will not find goggles/face shields on regular staff that are working their twelve hours. Then again, California could be different as their patient ratios are heavily regulated which reduces fatigue and stress.

When it comes to dealing with rule out cases or patients with COVID this is an N-95 mask/face shield (goggles)/hospital gown/gloves. In specialized units that tend to deal a lot with acute COVID cases, they often offer surgical scrubs to change into while working that unit and then allow you to change back into the scrubs you came in with before returning home. However, these are fringe cases.

It's sort of indisputable that working as a CNA brings you very close to patients as you feed them, clean them, ambulate them, and listen to them when they can't sleep at night. There is an element of care that comes with working as a pharmacy technician, but dealing with RxConnect, prior authorizations, counting pills, and bagging medications which can be considered important in the patient care process is not the same type of primary care experience as handling that same person's urine and feces when they've been unable to move from their hospital bed for an entire week.
I see more job openings in nursing homes/hospices near me rather than hospitals if that makes a difference. Thank you! I also agree that the direct patient care experiences do differ

Two years is a longass time to be a CNA just for the sake of clinical experience. Is this something you actually want to do? Because if not...eh. What is your degree in? Do you qualify for a different (and possibly better paying) type of job? If you absolutely must get a clinical job, my personal input would say something like phlebotomist or MA > EMT > PCT or CNA. There are also paid research opportunities out there. However, take all this with a grain of salt, I'm biased and like my feces exposure low. We all have our least favorite bodily secretion.

Two years is a longass time to be a CNA just for the sake of clinical experience. Is this something you actually want to do? Because if not...eh. What is your degree in? Do you qualify for a different (and possibly better paying) type of job? If you absolutely must get a clinical job, my personal input would say something like phlebotomist or MA > EMT > PCT or CNA. There are also paid research opportunities out there. However, take all this with a grain of salt, I'm biased and like my feces exposure low. We all have our least favorite bodily secretion.
My degree is in Biology. I feel like I need more clinical experience, and the experience from being a CNA and working in a nursing home seems very valuable and rewarding. I do feel the feces part lmaooo, but hopefully I'll be able to handle it.

My degree is in Biology. I feel like I need more clinical experience, and the experience from being a CNA and working in a nursing home seems very valuable and rewarding. I do feel the feces part lmaooo, but hopefully I'll be able to handle it.

I don't know where you live, but try to find a CNA related job in hospitals. Nursing home CNA is pretty difficult and they will overwork you like crazy.

The title may be different state to state (Patient Care Technician, Patient Care Associates, Clinical Assistants, etc.) but these jobs are typically entry level, don't require a CNA certification, and gives you the opportunity to work in a hospital.

Yeah I have heard that CNA jobs in the hospital tend to be easier than positions in nursing homes, but some hospitals I've looked up want you to have worked with patients for around 6 months or so beforehand. Thank you for replying!

@Faha @Goro @LizzyM Do any of you see any weakness that I should attend to during my gap year(s)? Do my plans sound reasonable?