What to do in my gap year!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herbie the elf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did not get in anywhere for dental school this admissions cycle, thus I am forced to take the dreaded gap year while I reapply. Obviously the best thing to improve my application would be to do a post-bacc program of some sorts, however I can not do that since I am trying to become a North Carolina state resident this gap year and so I must have a full time job to show that I am self-substantiating and financially independent from my parents in Virginia. Also, the grades I take in a post-bacc program wouldn't go into my application since I wouldnt have even started classes by the time I submit my application. So the question is, what do I do in my gap year that will also help my application?

Should I try to find a job in the health/dental field for a year? Is it worth it to take lower level biology courses during the summer so that those grades can make it into my application GPA? (Lower level science courses are typically the only ones offered during summer school). If I can't do anything else, should I retake the DAT even if I already did well on it the first time?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I did not get in anywhere for dental school this admissions cycle, thus I am forced to take the dreaded gap year while I reapply. Obviously the best thing to improve my application would be to do a post-bacc program of some sorts, however I can not do that since I am trying to become a North Carolina state resident this gap year and so I must have a full time job to show that I am self-substantiating and financially independent from my parents in Virginia. Also, the grades I take in a post-bacc program wouldn't go into my application since I wouldnt have even started classes by the time I submit my application. So the question is, what do I do in my gap year that will also help my application?

Should I try to find a job in the health/dental field for a year? Is it worth it to take lower level biology courses during the summer so that those grades can make it into my application GPA? (Lower level science courses are typically the only ones offered during summer school). If I can't do anything else, should I retake the DAT even if I already did well on it the first time?

Useless without posting your stats and when your application was sent off.

Would love to help but need your stats.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, here are my stats.

GPA: 3.24 (hopefully will be a 3.3 after this semester)
Science GPA: 3.21

DAT
Academic: 20
PAT: 23

I had my application submitted June 7th last summer and I interviewed at UNC, UAB, Temple, Louisville, and VCU

DAT

I had my application submitted June 7th last summer and I interviewed at UNC, UAB, Temple, Louisville, and VCU

While working you should take a couple of upper-division science classes and obviously get A's in them, you can have them submitted for the academic update if you dont receive an acceptance by 12/1, plus you can put those classes down as "in progress"

IMHO, you shoul just apply early again, but this time expand on the number of schools you apply to, your stats are not terrible (i don't know if you have any >20 sections by just providing your AA) but more schools means better chance of being accepted. "Beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind

DAT

First of all, don't see the gap year as something "dreaded". It's a great chance to do a variety of things whether it's volunteer, travel, take interesting classes, whatever.

Your DAT is nice and your GPA of 3.3/3.2 is alright. Taking more classes can help, but I wouldn't waste time with lower level classes unless they seem really interesting to you.

Reapply in June and try to expand that list. After all, the more schools you apply to, the more chances you have of getting interviews and the more chances you have of getting accepted. Good luck