beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
i have an extra day and a half in portland when i go in interview at ohsu. anyone have any suggestions for things that would be fun to do and give me a flavor for the place?

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
beep said:
i have an extra day and a half in portland when i go in interview at ohsu. anyone have any suggestions for things that would be fun to do and give me a flavor for the place?

go to OMSI -- it's a blast! (oregon museum of science and industry). The zoo is a great zoo too -- really spread out so take your walking shoes. If you have a car, drive to Cannon Beach (~1.5hours away)

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Powell's bookstore. The largest bookstore in the US (world?)- it's great downtown on Burnside.

Northwest 23rd street has some good character and lots of little silly shops and good food. Northwest 21st has tea time, a favorite coffee place.

Dessert on 23rd at Papa Hayden's the best dessert in town- trust me.

If it's sunny hit up waterfront park and there are some more expensive places down there.

Just shop downtown- we don't have sale's tax. Best area is Pioneer Place area 4th and taylor to 8th or so.

Indian food at India House on 12th and Morrison. If you want any other restaurant rec's let me know. Have a blast they have 70+ degree weather right now and it's the most beautiful city out there.

OP
B

beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
have any restaurant recs for ethiopian/african or vegetarian/organic food?

soccer10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
beep said:
there's Marakesh (don't know if I spelled that right) on NW 21st and I'm not sure exactly what the cross street is, but the streets are alphabetical so it is between Glisan and Lovejoy. There is also always going for a run/walk in Forest Park. It's either the first or second largest park within a city, it has great trails through the woods and you can access it from the NW area or North Portland, across the river from St. Johns (would only work with a car!)

for a good organic bar, there's Juice, which makes drinks using freshly squeezed juices, it's in SE either on Hawthorne or Belmont.

bdt

...slow typer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
OR
Status
sockandmittens said:
Powell's bookstore. The largest bookstore in the US (world?)- it's great downtown on Burnside.
Powells - Greatest bookstore ever. A can't miss. And if you're into hiking, you can pick up 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon. It's a fantastic guide book. Lot's of great hikes within an hour of portland

Dessert on 23rd at Papa Hayden's the best dessert in town- trust me.
I don't mean to start a flame here socksandmittens, but have you been to Pix on SE Division. I use to think Pap Hayden's was the best. Then I went to Pix. It's amazing!

If the weather's good and you don't live near the ocean. Check it out. The Oregon Coast is gorgeous.

For Veggie food, try Farm Cafe There's a few ethiopian places, but none have rocked my world.

Enjoy Portland!

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
I'll second Marakesh (it's Morroccan) on NW 21st and Northrup? not sure on the cross street either... However, it's amazingly good food- you get a ton for the price- five courses and by price i mean under 20 or around that. On saturdays they have a belly dancer. Anyway, it has excellent soup, especially the included lentil soup. Plently of veggie dishes if I remember correctly and great main course of chicken which I got recently.

Fiiiinnne I'll admit Portland has MULTIPLE amazing dessert places.

Go to Powell's for sure, the used books make it a bargain especially when they have every book you could possibly want. Plus, the buy used books so sell the one from the plane and get another.

A great cheap place for good salads is pizzacotta (sp?), there are a few around. Also, there is also a china town. Actually, there are great Sushi places as well (Todai in Pioneer place has an all you can eat lunch buffet I believe). I love portland =)

sKorpia

Endless
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
The Sunless Lands
Status
What kind of Asian (specifically Chinese, subspecifically Cantonese) community is there around Portland? Are there authentic restaurants, dim sum places, noodle shops, boba shops, bakeries, and supermarkets?

I passed by a tea shop when I was up there a couple weeks ago that was also selling boba and, going against all instinct, decided to see if their boba was any good. The milk tea was horrible and the boba was bright green. Nothing wrong with the taste of the boba . . . but bright green? For special occasions, I don't mind colored boba or even for flavored ones like strawberry. But man, aesthetically, a coffee-colored drink with a green base at the bottom is more likely to make someone's stomach turn than look appetizing.

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most of the asian people live out by Intel and Tektronics which aren't in the city of Portland.

Powell's is pretty large. I spent about 2 hours in one section until I was driven out by snooty book elitists.

Most fun thing to do in portland: count homeless people. (Its easier to use exponents)

arierty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
sKorpia said:
What kind of Asian (specifically Chinese, subspecifically Cantonese) community is there around Portland? Are there authentic restaurants, dim sum places, noodle shops, boba shops, bakeries, and supermarkets?

I passed by a tea shop when I was up there a couple weeks ago that was also selling boba and, going against all instinct, decided to see if their boba was any good. The milk tea was horrible and the boba was bright green. Nothing wrong with the taste of the boba . . . but bright green? For special occasions, I don't mind colored boba or even for flavored ones like strawberry. But man, aesthetically, a coffee-colored drink with a green base at the bottom is more likely to make someone's stomach turn than look appetizing.
Okay so "most of the asian people" don't live in that one place. There are multiple areas which means no big chinatown area. most of the food is not GREAT but okay. It depends on where you are from and what you are used to. As far as dim sum there is a new place on the eastside that is pretty tasty, and has EXCELLENT service. It is on se division around 90th. There are others but not as great. boba is harder to get to. the best places are way out of town, one in clackamas and one in hillsboro. Other places are, as you discovered a major risk. There is a good bakery, King's bakery, on 82nd and some other more hole-in-the-wall kinda places that are tasty though. The bakery has boba but its gross. As far as specific cantonese restaurants there is a good one on NE Sandy around 60th I think but I only know the Vietnamese name, Thien Hong, I think. There is another good one between division and powell on 82nd but I don't know the name. Of course the greatest problem is that none of these places are near down town. They are all about 10 miles east of the river. The down town china town is no good when it comes to food in my opinion. Let me know if you are coming back to portland and want more specifics (like names :oops: )

dankev

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 1, 2003
NY
Visit site
Status
beep said:
Being a vegetarian, I'm going to have to shoot down Marakesh. Good food, but expensive, and only one veggie dish.

For outstanding Ethiopian, try Blue Nile. NE Broadway and ~23rd.

I'll add another vote for Powells. Also, Forest Park is amazing. Biggest park in the US inside city limits.

Find yourself a date at the interview and take him/her to Kennedy School for drinks and a movie.