What to do (in regards to MCAT) during break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb1003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning to take the MCAT at the end of summer 2011. In regards to mcat study, do you recommend that I just read a lot of verbal articles (as I am doing right now) during my christmas break? Also, would it be advisable to take a practice MCAT and see how I perform? Should I begin preparing for the biological and physical sciences sections?

What worked for you for studying for the mcat during break? Please do not respond with (have fun, etc.) I'm looking for responses strictly in regards to mcat preparation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By verbal articles, do you mean boring crap like The Economist or actual verbal reasoning passages from a practice book?

If it is The Economist (or somethign along those lines) I would say it is a waste of time. Verbal reasoning passages with questions are the best in my opinion.

For the verbal section, I am reading opinion articles in the NYT as well as any random articles in the New Yorker every day. As I read, I try to summarize the main idea in each paragraph and try to understand the point of the passage relatively quickly (strategy from Bloody Surgeon I believe).

Members don't see this ad :)
Im planning to take the MCAT at the end of summer 2011. In regards to mcat study, do you recommend that I just read a lot of verbal articles (as I am doing right now) during my christmas break? Also, would it be advisable to take a practice MCAT and see how I perform? Should I begin preparing for the biological and physical sciences sections?

Buy some subject books like kaplan or EC and start brushing up on your sciences and hit the books hard. so during the semester you can do repetitive practice exams

People might say it's too early to study.. but winter break is a good chance to take advantage of spaced repetition learning. You could also start gathering your test prep materials and go over the tested topic checklist from the AAMC to see how familiar you are with the subjects and formulas that will be covered (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/).