What to do in residency to make myself competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyington!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
USDO who just matched in a mid-tier academic IM program with in-house PCCM fellowship. 235/245 and 3 research pubs (from before med school, 2 happen to be in the area of PCCM).

I understand I'm already "behind" as a DO so I wanted to know, other than research and LORS, what exactly does one do to put together an attractive fellowship app for say, a university program? Do ITEs matter? Evals in said specialty? Away rotations?

My immediate goal is to excel as an intern and resident first and foremost, but we are already being asked to pick what electives and outpatient subspecialties we want and it got me thinking. My program has an excellent fellowship match track record so I think I should be fine. Just wanted a little insight into what to expect and prioritize in residency for successful fellowship match!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Get to know the pulmonary / ccm attendings . First step is to be noticed on rounds so they know your name then find a way to communicate your interest in the field . Express interest in pccm to your IM PD early so he she may communicate with the pccm colleagues forget you onto some scholarly activity (I’m not calling resident case reports and chart review projects research ). Ask for a pulmonary elective earlier on before end of second year if possible

Ultimately it’s whose Gonna write the letters for you for the in house program .

Reactions: 1 user
Get to know the pulmonary / ccm attendings . First step is to be noticed on rounds so they know your name then find a way to communicate your interest in the field . Express interest in pccm to your IM PD early so he she may communicate with the pccm colleagues forget you onto some scholarly activity (I’m not calling resident case reports and chart review projects research ). Ask for a pulmonary elective earlier on before end of second year if possible

Ultimately it’s whose Gonna write the letters for you for the in house program .
Thank you for this response! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also publish publish . Residents are not Fonna be expected to publish RCTs for NEJM. But the pccm attendigns are academic doctors who view pubmed citations as a form of academic currency or capital . Get your case report written as a manuscript and published . Get your chart review project published before applying .

There are lots of low hanging fruit these days that are pub med indexed and don’t need huge processing fees . Get those pubmed indexed citations for the pccm attendings and you will be noticed for application season

Think BMJ Case reports , BMC research letters , Cureus just to name a few

Rule of thumb more than just posters and conferences .

If you think “I dont know how to publish !”
Read lots of research papers in the major journals until you get familiar with the structure . Write up a case or do a chart review project analogous to some paper you read . Mimic its structure when writing and making table graphs . Give your first draft to the academic attending who will help you bring it home

Another suggestion is if a fellow or attending comments how interesting the pocus findings are for a case (point of care ultrasound ) and the ultrasound videos are recorded (some programs have a PACS system like qpath) then offer to do video editing (not hard download an application and watch YouTube ) and offer to write a CHEST ultrasound corner case report

Last edited:
Also publish publish . Residents are not Fonna be expected to publish RCTs for NEJM. But the pccm attendigns are academic doctors who view pubmed citations as a form of academic currency or capital . Get your case report written as a manuscript and published . Get your chart review project published before applying .

There are lots of low hanging fruit these days that are pub med indexed and don’t need huge processing fees . Get those pubmed indexed citations for the pccm attendings and you will be noticed for application season

Think BMJ Case reports , BMC research letters , Cureus just to name a few

Rule of thumb more than just posters and conferences .

If you think “I dont know how to publish !”
Read lots of research papers in the major journals until you get familiar with the structure . Write up a case or do a chart review project analogous to some paper you read . Mimic its structure when writing and making table graphs . Give your first draft to the academic attending who will help you bring it home

Another suggestion is if a fellow or attending comments how interesting the pocus findings are for a case (point of care ultrasound ) and the ultrasound videos are recorded (some programs have a PACS system like qpath) then offer to do video editing (not hard download an application and watch YouTube ) and offer to write a CHEST ultrasound corner case report

Thanks so much for this! These are really great tips, especially the US corner case report idea, I never thought of that. I'm fairly comfortable writing up case reports and the like, I just need to get settled with a good mentor early I think. In terms of standing out to fellows/attendings, do you think it's worth taking a POCUS course before intern year? Like the one done by ACP for example.

Thanks so much for this! These are really great tips, especially the US corner case report idea, I never thought of that. I'm fairly comfortable writing up case reports and the like, I just need to get settled with a good mentor early I think. In terms of standing out to fellows/attendings, do you think it's worth taking a POCUS course before intern year? Like the one done by ACP for example.
Well it would certainly help you stand out in pulmonary or micu rotation or a rapid response code situation . Once you have your npi you can buy your own pocket smartphone ultrasound . Butterfly Iq (I don’t work for them ) is the cheapest. Moreover if you did this butterfly has its own pacs system in the cloud so you can have access to your own images to do the chest ultrasound corner with . Your own ultrasound will make your own life easier for ultrasound guided IVs or abgs in icu or non icu . Just be sure to clean the thing all the time .

Just don’t expect the hospitalist attending or internist you round under to understand what’s going on lol . Or maybe they do but becuase they are not pccm they don’t want to document those findings and have a potential lawsuit bite them in the butt.