What to do in the last 5-7 days before Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychMDhopefully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, time for a bit of honestly. I have had a really tough time with Step 1. At the end of my M2 year I took 3 practice test, nbme 15, 16, 17 that all ranged from 165-179, took the real thing and got 165, yes this was after doing UFAP.

I honestly realized that my knowledge base was not strong enough and took a LOA to study for Step 1. I don't know how I got so deficient, I never failed a course. I know I was at the lower end of the class but I didnt think I was completely ******ed, obviously I was. I had to relearn how to learn, I did all of Boards and Beyond and I got my first passing practice test score yesterday that was a 200 on nbme 13, I know its a terrible score but I want psych or family medicine and I don't care where I go. If I can get 205-210 I think I can match our program here in the midwest, I am a US MD student.

I have about a week before my test, what is the most high yield thing I could do to raise my score 5-10 points? Should I just go hard on uw0lrd, try to read all the way through first aid? Right before the Exam I am taking nbme 18 as my last practice test.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, time for a bit of honestly. I have had a really tough time with Step 1. At the end of my M2 year I took 3 practice test, nbme 15, 16, 17 that all ranged from 165-179, took the real thing and got 165, yes this was after doing UFAP.

I honestly realized that my knowledge base was not strong enough and took a LOA to study for Step 1. I don't know how I got so deficient, I never failed a course. I know I was at the lower end of the class but I didnt think I was completely ******ed, obviously I was. I had to relearn how to learn, I did all of Boards and Beyond and I got my first passing practice test score yesterday that was a 200 on nbme 13, I know its a terrible score but I want psych or family medicine and I don't care where I go. If I can get 205-210 I think I can match our program here in the midwest, I am a US MD student.

I have about a week before my test, what is the most high yield thing I could do to raise my score 5-10 points? Should I just go hard on uw0lrd, try to read all the way through first aid? Right before the Exam I am taking nbme 18 as my last practice test.
Sorry to hear all your problems. But being a US MD helps a lot. I know a US-IMG who failed Step 1, retook it and passed with low 200s, but still matched into IM (granted, not at a great program). You should still be able to match into FM or psych somewhere if you pass this time. Just apply broadly. Very broadly.

If you only have a week, just focus only on UWorld! Just do questions. Questions, questions, questions! That's the most high yield use of your time.

And remember: Step 1 doesn't define who you are or the doctor you'll become. It's just a bump in the road (maybe a big bump but still) en route to becoming the best physician you possibly can be for your patients.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear all your problems. But being a US MD helps a lot. I know a US-IMG who failed Step 1, retook it and passed with low 200s, but still matched into IM (granted, not at a great program). You should still be able to match into FM or psych somewhere if you pass this time. Just apply broadly. Very broadly.

If you only have a week, just focus only on UWorld! Just do questions. Questions, questions, questions! That's the most high yield use of your time.

And remember: Step 1 doesn't define who you are or the doctor you'll become. It's just a bump in the road (maybe a big bump but still) en route to becoming the best physician you possibly can be for your patients.

Good luck!
Hey just curious, when did the IMG match? Was it recently or a few years ago, because I keep hearing about how competetive it's been getting.