What to do in the meantime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Jacobean3

I considered three options for what to do between this year's appilcation process and the next.

1) Volunteer abroad
2) Master's Degree
3) Lab position

Which of these do you think would be the most favorable on a medical school application? I actually spoke with a dean who told me that people who reapply and have no marked changes in their application are given little more consideration than they were before, even if your MCAT has improved.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Jacobean3
I considered three options for what to do between this year's appilcation process and the next.

1) Volunteer abroad
2) Master's Degree
3) Lab position

Which of these do you think would be the most favorable on a medical school application? I actually spoke with a dean who told me that people who reapply and have no marked changes in their application are given little more consideration than they were before, even if your MCAT has improved.

If you don't have much research, work in the lab. If you don't have much volunteer stuff, do that one. Also, if you're working in a lab, you can always volunteer at a hospital or something along those lines.

And you might want to get feedback from the schools that rejected you? (not about the above question, just about stuff in general)